Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Calf ridge more noticeable with UQ?

For the first 2 weeks that I had my Sparrow, it was comfy and amazing. Then I got my UGQ 20* UQ and it's warm as can be. However, after I put it on I've notice that the calf ridge (I think that's the right name) is a lot more prominent. Do I just have my end on the UQ too tight that it's bottlenecking the hammock, or is this just something that happens?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wow, hard to believe you could even tighten a UQ enough to get calf ridge that was not previously present. Try loosening it up.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just commented on another thread yesterday about this. I just find it hard to believe that an UQ can affect the lay of the hammock. Am I missing something??

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by chefkeith View Post
    I just commented on another thread yesterday about this. I just find it hard to believe that an UQ can affect the lay of the hammock. Am I missing something??
    In my experience, the underquilt definitely affects the lay of the hammock. Especially a 3/4 quilt that forces your feet inwards. I don't think quilts give you sever calf ridge or anything, but the lay is altered for sure when using a quilt imo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    My daughter and I had the same problem.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yes, the underquilt can definitely affect the lay. I have used different underquilts in the last 6 years, and all underquilts with shock cord suspension have forced me into a more inline lay. How much they did depended on the cut of the underquilt, the temperatures, and the hammock. Most underquilts are quite a bit narrower than the hammock; you can only lie at an angle because the shock cords are elastic and allow the underquilt to move with you - to some degree. The more diagonal you go, the more force you need to keep the underquilt with you. For me, this problem has been most pronounced with wider hammocks. It gets worse, the tighter the uq suspension is. I sleep very cold and as soon as temperatures drop below 60°, I have to tighten the suspension a lot to stay warm.

The calf ridge is not directly influenced by the underquilt. It's a result of weight (your body) pushing into the hammock fabric. The higher the weight and/or the stretchier the fabric, the deeper the "valley" and the higher the ridges around the valley. The valley and the ridges always follow the line from end to end. This means that you can move your body to have the ridge where it doesn't bother you. I lie head left, feet right, and if the ridge runs under my right knee or lower right leg, I feel it most. I hardly feel it under my upper legs. So I can go more diagonal, which means that the ridge runs under the upper legs - problem solved. Unless my underquilt forces me to turn my body more inline.

I found that the calf ridge doesn't bother me when I lie very much inline. The ridge is still there, but the pressure is distributed over a larger leg area. But with some hammocks, going more inline will result in a banana lay, which is as uncomfortable as a calf ridge...

If you find that the underquilt forces you into a position where the calf ridge becomes an issue, and a more inline lay is uncomfortable, you have some alternatives:
    - use a pillow under your legs. It absorbs the pressure very well.
    - use a less stretchy hammock. I haven't had calf ridges in polyester hammocks.
    - use insulation that doesn't force you to change the direction of your preferred lay. The Warbonnet Wooki works great, but I would only recommend getting one if you use a WB hammock or a hammock of equal length. Or use a pad... A wider underquilt might let you lie more diagonal as well.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    In my experience, yes, an UQ can affect the comfort/lay of a hammock. As for calf ridge, I've not had that specifically but imagine it's possible.

I solved this with a full length, full width DIY UQ. Basically strung up a full (unfolded) poncho liner that I lined with a "snap in" down throw. The length and width keep me from having to keep it real tight. Also, instead of full length shock cord I used it only on the ends and put Knotty mods on the sides. Now I can adjust the tension easily while in my hammock.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I'm dealing with the same problem right now. I just got my new HG incubator last week and I'm still trying to get it dialed in perfectly on my WBBBXLC that's only a month old. I already hang the foot end higher per Warbonnets instructions and lay closer to the head end to get in the sweet spot. I'm still getting a calf ridge though, and in turn a gap between it and the incubator. The ridge doesn't really bother me since Im short but the gap and cold spot that follows does. I've tried everything, using ridgeline quilt hangers, raising and lowering the suspension, moving in the hammock, different adjustment combinations on the UQ, all of it and still get the gap. It's gonna be 20° this weekend here and likely feel colder with the wind.I really wanna get it dialed in by then. I'll be to!lowing this thread closely to see what people tell you to do, maybe it will work for me as well.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ / HG quilts
    I also have noticed it only slightly and did not think about it until reading this. It was not an issue and I just twisted sideways a bit more and it disappeared. I also have a new sparrow and 20* UGQ zeppelin. Since I got the sparrow as wide as possible, I ordered the Zeppelin 48" instead of 44" that may help a bit.

I ordered a set of the black friday quilts for one of my kids to use and that is the standard 44". When they come I will definitely compare and see if I notice a difference.

This is certainly an interesting discussion!

I had no idea so many people were experiencing this. While it hasn't been my experience, I certainly don't doubt now that this is a real issue.

Good luck staying warm as the weather continues to drop. I can't wait to get out and test my new Climashield UQ to see just how low it'll go!

Cheers!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast