Hammock as refuge from subway vibration?

Heya folks,

I'm looking into switching to sleeping in a hammock (with a stand). My new apartment is near an infrequently used train line (roughly once an hour when there isn't construction)--but since it's so infrequently used, the tracks are old and vibrate heavily. These carry into my room and wake me up through the 10-45 second deep/low full-room vibration that hits through my bed.

During construction on this train line, I experience a constant fast vibration throughout the entire house--and very much on my bed.

Has anyone experienced had to opt for a hammock as refuge from vibrations? Any recommendations on good choices for hammocks for these purposes? I'm in NY, and it's only going to be getting chillier here.

Considering this Vivere model, in part because it's more manageable space-wise.

Am also planning to put hockey pucks on the seven points where it touches the ground, unless there may be some better ideas to absorb/minimize the vibrations.
    Last edited by Silence; 12-06-2016 at 08:49.

Hammock
    My Wife's Tablecloth
    I am thinking that the hockey pucks are to dense and would not dampen any vibration. Find a carpet place that either has remnant carpet and pad. Stack a few layers under the legs of your stand. The only other option is can think of is standing pads for those who are on their feet in one spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    I don't know how you do it, you're a better man than me. A train once an hour would put me in the crazy house!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    A closed cell foam pad cut into appropriate sizes might dampen the vibrations somewhat. Good luck, I'm with Spiguyver on this one. At least for me it would be a pretty short trip tho... =)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I don't think a hammock is going to isolate you any better than mattress springs already do. But it can't hurt to try. If nothing else, you might be able to sleep through the disturbance.

And the hockey pucks I played with as a kid were nearly as hard as rocks, I don't see how they'd be useful for vibration damping. But I never tried either! FWIW, a quick google search for "vibration damping" yielded all sorts of pads that might work.

Good luck!

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    This sounds a lot like a recording booth, isolating from low frequency waves and such. In that case density is your friend. In your case however, it'll need to be your entire structure. The track is hitting a sympathetic resonant frequency in your room/ house and that's why you're feeling/ hearing it. If this were a studio we'd build an entire room within a room of thick, heavily dense walls (much like hockey pucks) and isolate those walls from the floor and ceiling using hockey puck like pieces.

Unfortunately I don't think that's an option for you. The hammock may reduce some vibrations, especially if isolated from the floor (no glue or nails on the pucks!) but the standing wave will still exist. Things like carpet and foam won't help in this case because they only absorb high frequencies and that low rumble and move will go right through them.

Good luck

This is a beautiful thought experiment!

I think Jason is absolutely right in that the low frequency waves are pretty much impossible to stop - they move easily through most objects.

Vibrations, though (the sensation, not the sound) might be easier isolated. My first instinct is to not worry about the feet on the stand, but instead hang the hammock with a dynamic suspension - i.e. something stretchy like heavy duty shock cord or pieces of thick intertube, much like how a condenser mic uses a shock mount in a recording studio.

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong, and the sounds/vibrations could be transmitted through the hammock suspension and amplified my the shape and tension of the hammock fabric right next to your head. Dunno.

Please, please get back to us either way and let us know what you came up with. I'm super curious what your results will be!

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I've seen that stand ( or one that looks just like it ) in person. It's a bit short and tends to flex inward ( shortening it further ) when loaded. The tubes are a little loose and could rattle a bit when unloaded. Can you put anchors in the walls or ceiling? I'm sure we can come up with a way to get you hanging. I would suggest a Tato Hammock Stand from Dutch but they're pretty big.

If you could suspend a ridgepole as chefkeith suggests and hang your hammock from that. Or maybe put the stand on some of that conforming foam that they use in mattresses and pillows.

Excellent idea to cope with the shaking, Good luck!

Images
    Those type of stands aren't really wide/high enough for a grown-up gathered end hammock.
    I would suggest hanging a rigid ridgepole from hooks screwed into the ceiling, then hanging your hammock from that. It's what I've done for my daughter, in her bedroom.
    The ridgepole could be hung from shockcord, as suggested.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    This is what got me sleeping in a hammock in the first place, and yes, sleeping in a hammock does help, however....

Here's the thing. If you use a stand, the vibration will pass through the stand and down the hammock. It will intensify the vibration - not good. If you really want to use a stand I'd wrap the entire thing in those dense rubber pads people put subwoofers on. You'd also want to deaden the vibrations passing down into the hammock. Wrapping whatever you're suspension is helps, but I found placing a weight, like a pillow, on top of the ends helps even more.

If you have the ability to hang from the wall, again, you need to deaden the wall where you'll screw into it.

Whatever you do, there will always be at least a slight vibration, but you should be able to get it down to a sleepable level at least.

And for the record, the hammock was MUCH better than a bed.

Good luck!

• + New Posts