DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Advice needed -hammock set up considerations

I am looking at getting some new hammock gear now that I've been hammocking a few years and know what I like. I have a Clark Tx-250 and a DIY 11 ft hammock with a hex tarp. The Clark is nice because it's 5 to 10 degrees warmer with the weather shield up. I also like the bug net. I thoroughly dislike the weight and bulk that go with these options in this hammock though.

The DIY gets cold fast when the wind blows under the open ended hex tarp even with my jarbidge underquilt. My first step in getting new gear was to buy a ugq down 7/8 underquilt during their Black Friday sale. I've been considering either a tarp with doors or a uqp or a winter sock to hold some heat. If a winter tarp with doors can hold heat or at least a little and block the wind I think I'd prefer that to being closely surrounded by the sock. The tarp is probably lighter than adding the uqp.

I'm inclined to believe that closed up all around in a tarp with doors would prevent me from ever needing a Uqp but I'd like to know what people who have tried both think. Comments?

I'm a lightweight backpacker and bulk and weight matter to me.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Two very different concepts between the tarp w/doors and the UQP. I have and use both but for different reasons.

Tarp with doors, when pulled tight to the ground and doors up, will block wind but, IMO, does nothing to increase the warmth of my quilts. It does keep the wind from "stealing" the heat but does not increase the heat.

UQP is just that. It will keep any splash from rain getting quilts dirty/wet and has an added benefits of blocking most wind while actually holding in heat. I find my 20F JRB quilt will do me good in about 5 to 10F colder temps with my UQP than without it.

Bottom line is it depends on what/how you want to use the piece of gear.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Two very different concepts between the tarp w/doors and the UQP. I have and use both but for different reasons.

Tarp with doors, when pulled tight to the ground and doors up, will block wind but, IMO, does nothing to increase the warmth of my quilts. It does keep the wind from "stealing" the heat but does not increase the heat.

UQP is just that. It will keep any splash from rain getting quilts dirty/wet and has an added benefits of blocking most wind while actually holding in heat. I find my 20F JRB quilt will do me good in about 5 to 10F colder temps with my UQP than without it.

Bottom line is it depends on what/how you want to use the piece of gear.
    Your comment about doors makes sense to me. Your comment about an UQP also makes sense. I'm wondering if hypothetically you are using an adequate underquilt and top quilt for conditions if a tarp with doors will adequately protect your underquilt from splash in a really bad rainstorm.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never tried an UQP, and probably never will. In my opinion, a 4-season tarp provides the same protection from robbing your UQ of warmth. Would a UQP add a few degrees of warmth to my setup? I'm sure it would, but I don't care for the weight penalty.

I know a lot of people who like UQPs - and all of them are car campers or people who do a minimal amount of hiking. These are also people that like pole mods, porch mode, carry camping chairs, etc. In other words, I don't look at their gear and say, "Gee, I wish I was just like them."

Deep winter temps? I may consider a UQP, but the people I know using them, use them in temps that don't make a lot of sense to me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've never tried an UQP, and probably never will. In my opinion, a 4-season tarp provides the same protection from robbing your UQ of warmth. Would a UQP add a few degrees of warmth to my setup? I'm sure it would, but I don't care for the weight penalty.

I know a lot of people who like UQPs - and all of them are car campers or people who do a minimal amount of hiking. These are also people that like pole mods, porch mode, carry camping chairs, etc. In other words, I don't look at their gear and say, "Gee, I wish I was just like them."

Deep winter temps? I may consider a UQP, but the people I know using them, use them in temps that don't make a lot of sense to me.
    I'm considering buying one or the other, but not both. I like the open feeling of sleeping under an open ended tarp, but I spent an evening at the top of a ridge near Springer during the last hurricane to run up the east coast. In Georgia we got just mostly wind but there was plenty of it. The wind blowing on my face woke me up over and over all night long. An UQP wouldn't have helped with that.

So, I'm leaning towards a new tarp with doors. I'm guessing that the extra ounces that the doors add are roughly equal to the extra ounces for a UQP. I currently have a hennessey poly coated ripstop nylon hex that weighs about 24 ounces and is good and sturdy. I also have an 11x10 silnylon vertex that came with my Clark that weighs 19 ounces and is maybe a little too big. I don't like its tendency to stretch when wet or overnight. I don't think cuben is for me - too fragile for punctures and too expensive. Still looking for that perfect tarp ... maybe I'll have to make it myself.

Car campers and backpackers seldom agree on ideal gear. Backpackers carry their gear for miles and car campers usually are in the realm of yards. Backpackers are working with a small space to fit it all in and car campers have their trunk or van or pickup. I do both and enjoy both but would call myself a backpacker first. As a backpacker, weight is always a primary consideration for me.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I don't think cuben is for me - too fragile for punctures and too expensive.
    I'd disagree on the "too fragile" comment. Too expensive? I'd agree with that!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'd disagree on the "too fragile" comment. Too expensive? I'd agree with that!
    I've never actually spent too much time with a piece of cuben to take a close look. REI had some stuff sacks once and I didn't like the feel, crinkle or transparency of the fabric. What I've read is that it is not too difficult to punch a small hole in it but it is very tough regarding tears. Off course, its not too tough to punch a hole in nylon either.

I don't want to spend what I consider to be a ridiculous amount of money for a cuben tarp bought sight- unseen only to realize I don't like it when it arrives. I do like the fact that cuben doesn't stretch and who wouldn't like the incredible weight savings?

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    You can check out UGQ's 11ft Winter Dream tarp with doors in 15d Membrane 0.93 fabric for 15.4 oz and $170 if something like the Warbonnet Superfly at 19oz is too heavy for you.

If you're really into weight savings go with the cuben w/doors. That fragile talk is nonsense. You won't regret it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    You can check out UGQ's 11ft Winter Dream tarp with doors in 15d Membrane 0.93 fabric for 15.4 oz and $170 if something like the Warbonnet Superfly at 19oz is too heavy for you.

If you're really into weight savings go with the cuben w/doors. That fragile talk is nonsense. You won't regret it.
    Perhaps fragile is too negative a term. However, its rare to see someone bragging about how easy it is to fix a puncture hole in silnylon or ripstop nylon and it is fairly easy - all you have to do is put a smear of silicon over the hole. You'll find a picture of a piece of duct tape over a hole on every review you read about cuben tarps. The superfly would be in my weight range and so would the UGQ tarp.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    When I got my cf tarp I tried to rip the stuff sack its not all that delicate. Can I do it sure but not easily.
    In the shadows

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast