Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hang Your Own Hang Podcast - Episode 15 (Leave No Trace)

This month's episode brings us Ben Lawhon, Education Director for the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics. Mark and Jonathan get a chance to chat with Ben about the LNT mindset, and how Hammock Camping fits into backcountry and frontcountry visits (hint: it's great!). We learn a little more with a quick review of the 7 principles, and how to have a "teaching moment" during an encounter with another person. After a discussion about dispersed camping, we finish off with some ideas about how to approach local land managers about supporting hammocks and hammock camping in their jurisdiction.

Mark and Jonathan also discuss the idea of using milkweed instead of down as an insulation source for cooler-weather camping.

Acknowledgements go this month to 2 episode sponsors – Haute Hammock, a designer of fine hammock-related t-shirts, and Yukon Outfitters, a Tennessee-based manufacturer of hammock camping gear, along with a line of outdoors-related products. Listen to our episode for significant discount codes on your next order, including a special rate for the upcoming holiday season!

Show Notes:
    - If you want to reach out to the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics, here is a link to their website where you can contact them.
    - Here's a link to the Gizmodo.com article about milkweed pods, along with a link to the company in Quebec actually making product, Chlorophylle.

As always, we are also inviting comments and suggestions on our Facebook page - like us there at http://www.facebook.com/hyohpodcast and join the conversation. You can listen to or subscribe to the podcast from a link on our home page online at http://www.hyohpodcast.com or give us a review on our page in iTunes. If you are really enjoying our podcast and want to see us reach our goal of two podcasts per episode, please be sure to become a patron at https://www.patreon.com/hyohpodcast. If you'd rather not become a monthly patron but would still like to buy Mark and Jonathan a cup of coffee, go to https://paypal.me/hyohpocast to make a one-time donation. Thanks so much for hanging around!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Dutch Print USA!
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    What a fascinating podcast! I listened to the first half hour on my way home from work and will look forward to finishing it tomorrow. Ben sounds like a wealth of knowledge. I'll be interested to hear if you talked him into an overnight trip in a hammock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    -Captain Henry P. Crowe, USMC

Hammock
    HH EXP, DIY Crap Wrap
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Another great job by the two of you. Ben was another in the line of great guests. I appreciate all your efforts. Mark, the name is pronounced good-a-wits...but Goody is way easier! Haha. Take care.

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for listening Marine. It was great talking with Ben. Yes he is a wealth of knowledge and I really like his approach to LNT from a teaching standpoint. Even working the LNT seven points into your trip each time you go out whether its front country or back country. If we got Ben into a hammock for a trip, tht we will have to wait and see.

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Another great job by the two of you. Ben was another in the line of great guests. I appreciate all your efforts. Mark, the name is pronounced good-a-wits...but Goody is way easier! Haha. Take care.
    Yea, sorry about that. I'm horrible with pronouncing people's names. Unless you are a Smith or something simple, there is a good chance I am going to butcher it.
    Thanks for listening.

Hang Your Own Hang Podcast - Episode 15 (Leave No Trace)

Listened to this episode today. I have to say it was fantastic!!

Lots of interesting stuff even if you're familiar with Leave No Trace.

This podcast never ceases to amaze with the quality of guests they secure. Definitely something I plan to donate to.

Keep up the good work, guys!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH
    Fantastic episode, will share to friends who aren't even into hammocking. Thanks guys!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks. We have been trying to find ways to do general-interest podcasts as well, like the "ladies only" one that we did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Dutch Print USA!
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    I actually have ended up listening to several of your podcasts now. I love your show!

"Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    -Captain Henry P. Crowe, USMC

• + New Posts