Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best flat hammock for 6-footer, indoors?

My son is 6 ft. tall. He's looking for the flattest hammock (asymmetrical?) for sleeping indoors. Since it will not be used for camping, we're also wondering if bug nets can easily be removed.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Has he tried hammocks before?

A basic 11 ft hammock would be the place to start if not. Most of the main craft people make these from around $50-70. You can also make your own for pretty cheap

There's not much more than that to consider, bugnets are readily available to convert a basic hammock to a camping hammock.

If flat lay means bridge hammock, I'd look at make your own. These are bigger and less suited for indoors but do lay flatter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not sure what "flat" hammock means. I am 5'11" and have a tableclothsfactory hammock in my office - very comfy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Warbonnet no-net Ridgerunner
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've found flat lay with several hammocks, from the cheap $60 to a couple hundred dollars. My favorite and definitely most comfortable is my BBXLC with removable bug net.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If he wants to use the hammock indoors only, get a Brazilian hammock. Get the largest one you can find. If you want something cheaper, make a Tablecloth hammock. Maybe try the 90" x 156" blanks. He can try different lengths and see which length feels most comfortable.

"Asymetrical" only describes the way the bug net is attached to the hammock. The hammock body itself is a simple rectangle.

Thanks, we'll look into the Ridgerunner. Dream Hammocks also look interesting.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I've used 4 different all-cotton Brazilian hammocks as my only bed for almost 4 years. This is nicest so far: http://www.lasiesta.com/CAH16-2/ . It's a heavier fabric than any other I've found (390g/m²) meaning it doesn't develop a sag/rut after several months of continuous use. Properly hung, it's pretty darn flat on the diagonal. I use this as an underquilt (necessary even indoors in temperate climates), with shock cord: nice fit, even looks elegant: http://www.lasiesta.com/CQH15-49/

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I am 6 foot. I have a WBRR and a Luke's 90 degree Gamma UL (hammocktent.com). My vote for the flattest lay would be the 90*. However, I strongly recommend adopting my "lazy S suspension modifications" mentioned in this thread: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ock-Tent/page4

Over the last couple of days I significantly changed this system so that the beads are encased in the hammock end of the suspension and will be doing a write up on that thread after I spend tonight with the new suspension modification. In a nutshell the lazy S suspension provides support under your knees and a pseudo foot box for your heels. The unmodified Gamma UL can cause some knee discomfort for a six foot person due to the end curl on the hammock ends. The lazy S suspension modification remedies this significantly. I know this may be more than most folks would want to tackle, even though it is quite simple. This would work for any of the hammocktent hammocks.

But I strongly believe it gives the flattest and the most comfortable lay both on your back and on your side. IMHO, of course!

Images
    I also recommend a cotton Brazilian hammock. You can get them on Amazon for as little as $65. Camping hammocks are for camping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast