Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash

Help with hammocks for a NH cabin

We're building a little cabin out in the woods. Anyone who has joined us up in NH at one of the great pumpkin hangs will be familiar with our off grid, up in the mountains location.
    download_20161124_193417.jpg
    It is a small cabin, roughly 16 x 10 inside and a 16x16 low ceiling loft. For space and flexibility, I'm thinking about doing all of the furniture as hanging stuff.

All of the rafters are exposed and overbuilt, so adding a bunch of suspension points will be trivial.

We wil not be up there full time, so being able to pack seating and beds away from mice etc is a big plus.

So, a few questions;

-Anyone built or bought a truly comfortable indoor hammock chair or single point suspended chair? Like, as comfortable as a lazy boy or comfy couch? This will be for 2-6 people to sit around a fireplace when we are sore from hiking before we hang hammocks and go to bed. They have got to be cozy, a little warm, and having a place to put your drink is a definite bonus. Not costing a zillion dollars also a bonus. I'm pretty comfortable curling up most anywhere, so I'm a bad judge of what a big guy like Eliot will like.

-Chair under quilts for the winter? If it's 5° outside when we get there, it will be 5° inside and it might take a few hours to heat up. Any brilliant ideas for that? I'm thinking a roundish down throw with an elastic all the way around the outside edge would maybe attach well to many of the chair styles? Maybe just build it into the chair?

-Anyone ever seen or made a suspended table? I'm thinking if the suspension went out at an angle away from each corner, it wouldn't swing. Would the ropes be more in the way than it's worth? I could always just do a collapsible table table but why not go all in on hanging stuff. Since I've never seen it in anything other than a Pinterest photo, I'm wondering what problems I'm not foreseeing.

-Any cool ideas for the suspension points? I'm thinking of drilling regularly spaced small holes in the rafters and sticking some copper pipe sections with smoothed ends in the holes. Amstel soft shackles could be moved around to whatever point you need. Any other ideas? Chains are cool and rustic, but the clanking might get old.

What do you think?
    ~ʎpuıɔ~
    If you teach a child to reason they'll think for a lifetime.
    2019 Great Pumpkin https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154092-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-11-13-2019-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Hi, Cindy.
    Interesting idea... A hang cabin!
    I'm no help on the hanging chairs, I'm afraid. Maybe those chemically heated HUNTING CUSHIONS would work, for warm seat bottoms, when you figure out what to use for chairs.
    You might get some propane wall mounted heaters for a couple sides. That way you just turn the propane on and off, when you come and go.
    The fireplace you mentioned sounds good, too. Just work, cutting all that firewood.
    What do you do about water? Are there any streams nearby, or are you digging a well up there? So many ideas for a cabin. Skylights... etc, etc, I've always thought of making one on the back of our property in the woods, here.
    Anyway, best of luck with it.
    Ted in West Jersey

"What's the best gift you can give a kid?
    Happily married parents!"

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash
    The fireplace is a large three sided propane fireplace something like the attached picture.PFLDVNSCSB-2T.jpg We chose it for ambiance over practicality, but I think it will be nice.

Water for drinking we bring in and we probably will collect water for washing etc. off of the roof. It is on a peak of a little mountain made of granite, so no streams or digging. We bring water down to our camper now and it isn't a big deal.

We will have a little solar, but won't have a lot of need for electricity.
    ~ʎpuıɔ~
    2019 Great Pumpkin https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154092-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-11-13-2019-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    That cabin sounds like a dream!!! How totally cool!

I'm thinking for the table, you are really going to need something hard. So I would would think a round table top out of plywood with struts underneath to keep it flat and 3 holes in it to thread rope through maybe with loops on the ends so you just stick toggles in under the table and have blocks to keep the toggles in side to side. You could hang that table one toggle at a time by yourself if needed. Where abouts in NH are you? I might volunteer to make your table just to get a chance to see your cabin! Family invasion!!! Lol!! Oh, LOVE the multisided fireplace action!!!! Nevermind on the where are you. I just checked out the planning thread. I remember my wife's grandparents went to Newfound Lake once on an anniversary. Never been there myself though.
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash
    We welcome all the help we can get ! Free weekends in a beautiful mountain cabin (some assembly required).

We tease our friend who comes up frequently to help that we are going to start charging him gym membership.

I thought four attachments on corners of a rectangle table might be better so you can't lean on an edge and make it flip. Not sure if that is clear without a drawing. I can maybe experiment with lumber and see how it works. Actually, that will be really easy since the loft floor isn't in yet and I can just throw straps over the joists. The toggle idea is great. Maybe adjustable length strings like whoopie slings to level it

No seating ideas so far? Come on guys, you're letting me down...
    ~ʎpuıɔ~

• + New Posts