Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Don't overlook the small stuff, TP, sunglasses, Chapstick, glide, moleskin, ducttape, shoe inserts and gators and since your diet will be changing your stomach may need some Imodium, tums, or advil for aches and pains; back up batteries.
    Are you pretreating clothes with bug spray? Hiking poles?
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    Don't overlook the small stuff, TP, sunglasses, Chapstick, glide, moleskin, ducttape, shoe inserts and gators and since your diet will be changing your stomach may need some Imodium, tums, or advil for aches and pains; back up batteries.
    Are you pretreating clothes with bug spray? Hiking poles?
    Pretreating for February? I don't know how long the stuff lasts, so I guess you could do it now. I'm thinking do it later, like much later, like probably PA. The other stuff is on the mark and is the type of stuff that makes non-UL's make fun of UL's - or even pissed off at for being such yogi's. I'm sure not all of that stuff applies for you, but probably a few of those things do.

Yeah, and since your worn clothing is listed, I'm taking the absence of poles as you're not taking them. Bad mistake in Ga and still useful elsewhere. Plus porch mode with sticks is da bomb!! And although porch mode seems wide open, it does allow you to go pretty much straight down with one tarp wall, cutting off a significant portion of wind which is often only coming at you from one direction.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oventoasted View Post
    ...So, to address the cold weather gear situation. I have tested this setup for cold weather temps from 20-40°f. the list for cold weather gear at the start was a considerably longer list but, after testing im finding out the down jacket covers a lot of bases and with moderate amount of exercise all day i find its even a bit too warm. Also with the advice for slip on shoe spikes for traction. With my experience hiking in icy/snowy weather while in Denali and Chugach state parks in Alaska i just found that added caution and situational awareness goes a long way and i've never had to pull them out of the pack before to use them then. Also i hear the icy conditions do not last all day in GA/NC that time of year...
    So, what are you doing for zero-20? Obviously icy conditions will persist in those temps. Look, GA winters are all over the map. Last year I took the opportunity to camp in 8 degrees one night just for the heck of it. It looks like we'll get there again later this week. But there's also a chance you'll get above freezing lows and highs near 60. You'll be through Ga in a week, but the problem then becomes being consistently high, like 4000+ all the time, whereas in Ga you graze 4000' for a few yards here and there. Then a week later you're in the Smokeys and consistently over 5000'. Just like how Mt Washington has the worst weather at only 5000', the southern Appalachians are similar. Trust me, you should be planning for 0-20 weather for the first month, and frankly, I would tell someone that if they were leaving in March with the herd.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    So, what are you doing for zero-20? Obviously icy conditions will persist in those temps. Look, GA winters are all over the map. Last year I took the opportunity to camp in 8 degrees one night just for the heck of it. It looks like we'll get there again later this week. But there's also a chance you'll get above freezing lows and highs near 60. You'll be through Ga in a week, but the problem then becomes being consistently high, like 4000+ all the time, whereas in Ga you graze 4000' for a few yards here and there. Then a week later you're in the Smokeys and consistently over 5000'. Just like how Mt Washington has the worst weather at only 5000', the southern Appalachians are similar. Trust me, you should be planning for 0-20 weather for the first month, and frankly, I would tell someone that if they were leaving in March with the herd.
    What he said! As I said before I've been in Virginia in mid to late march dealing with 20 degrees and ice. There's still snow and ice on the ground. Georgia, Carolinas and GSNP in February will be very uncertain.

You need to plan for lower temps. Bring an UQP and the zip on top cover for the WBBB! You can always send it home if you don't need it.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    This is why is asked, I have seen active ticks on winters harvest while hunting, so I assume that if it is not freezing there may still be activity.
    Although some people are not aware of this. So I asked the Google
    Question: Do Ticks Bite in Winter?
    I like to hike, especially in the winter when I don't have to worry about ticks. My friend told me that ticks bite in winter, too. Is this true? Do ticks bite in winter?
    Answer:
    Yes, your friend is right – some ticks do bite in winter. As long as temperatures stay below 35° F, ticks remain inactive. On warmer days, however, those ticks may be out looking for a blood meal. Anytime temperatures rise above 35° F, you should take precautions to avoid tick bites, just as you do in summer months.
    I treat year round out of habit, and gear upkeep, but some people seem to think it is not a big deal. It takes one infected bug to change your life. But since my question was open, was wondering if not would you be mail dropping it later and having a family member treat before sending a box? as an option to consider.(since there were not treatments or deet listed on gear list.)
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Enlightened Revolt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yes, i will have my hiking poles with me!

Also evevation isnt something im not used to. Currently station out here in New Mexico and the elevatoon here is 4300 ft. I have also done hikes in colorado at 9-10k ft where i was running and also chopping wood. So, i do not fear the stressors of semi-high elevation.

Also, with the tarp advice i will keep it in mind about the Zpack tarp but, someone on this forum thru-hiked with and Warbonnet Edge tarp just fine couple years ago.

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Sounds like you have enough experience and all choices work. Just make sure they do for 0-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Enlightened Revolt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    looks like it will drop into the teens on wednesday here in eastern new mexico! good time to put this 20°f UQ and TQ to the test!

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    OK, first I want to thank you for opening my eyes up to the "lighter pack" gear list, it is awesome.

Second, after making a winter/spring and a spring/summer gear list with all items hitting the scale I came across some discrepancies when I compared my list with yours. So I went and researched some of the items on your list and wanted you to be aware of them, not to nit-pick or assume "pack bragging" but to be gear critical or at least gear accurate. I will put in a disclaimer that I don't know your foot size so I used mine in the example so it is just a best estimated guess. I assume that you are not a xxl person like me due to some of your clothing weights and if I were to guess by that alone I would guess it would be 10.5 but like I said I don't know. So in my example I errored in favor to the worst case.

1. I have a pair of Altra superior 2.0 the list weight of them are : 8.7 oz./247 g.(it is lighter than the Lone peaks) the actual weight for size 12 is 12.8oz each. So I checked and compared your Lone peak's and I think you used the list weight for one shoe on your list, Not sure but quantity is 1 so it is a guess since you need 2 shoes to have a pair.
    D/9.7oz+sizing(other shoe, 4.1oz more x2((for each shoe/size12))){13.8+4.1=17.9}D= +17.9oz~
    2. Crocks, I don't have a pair but I have done a lot of reading and following people online like Redbeard and they always say how heavy they are, on whiteblaze.com they say the weight of a size 10 is around the 14-16oz mark pending model and for one shoe when the list weight is for one and the smallest size they make. They said that the knock of crocks come in at a weight similar to listing wt. but has issues with the bale falling off.
    D/12oz+sizing(same math){same}D= +20oz~
    3. Quick Charge 2.0 AUKEY 3-Port USB Wall Charger Specifications:Input: AC 100-240V Output 1 (Quick Charge 2.0): 5V 2A, 9V 1.6A, 12V 1.2A Output 2|3 (AiPower): 5V 2.4A/port | 4.8A Max Dimensions: 2.76" x 1.89" x 1.02" Weight: 3.17oz but shipping weight is 8oz. so you may have a weight savings here but I don't know if you are including any cables to use with your devices here or any kind of protection or storage case.
    D= -.83oz

Here is a link for my winter list. https://lighterpack.com/r/dofvgo and my summer list https://lighterpack.com/r/bqg6eg My list includes poles and suspension and all the nick-knacks but some items are not owned yet and they are indicated by (DHY)(Dont have Yet). and good luck and happy hiking.
    Last edited by T- Minus; 12-15-2016 at 17:27.
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Sunscreen. You will need it until sometime in May, or use long-sleeve shirts and long pants. You will still need some for your neck and the backs of your hands.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast