Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Thoughts on Costco "hybrid" quilt

So, I started out with the basic Costco down throw.

[AIMG]2016-11-21 12.46.43.jpg[/AIMG]

I then ripped the seams long ways, and shook all the down to one end, trimmed it to make it roughly the size of a HG Pheonix, 46"x 52". I than added the down from another piece of left over Costco throw, that I used to make an underquilt for my Helinox chair. So, added 7 more "squares" of down to each tube, then stitched it all up. The tubes seemed really full,so I removed every other row of stitching and will have 6 tubes of down that seem to loft better. (have one more seem to rip though).

2016-12-04 15.53.23.jpg

I am going to test it and see how warm it keeps me. It currently weighs 16.4oz without suspension. However, I am considering adding a layer of 2.5oz climashield (heres where the "hybrid' comes in), covered by some Argon 67, and using the Argon to hive the inside a little differential cut to help keep from compressing the down.

Thoughts? I am thinking the climashield and Argon will add another 6.3 ounces, give or take, making if 22 ounces before suspension. But it should make for a nice warm quilt, the down and climashield. What do you think?
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I think that if the down doesn't shift too much in the wide chambers ...

you'll have one WARM underquilt! Nice warmth for the price, and the weight is respectable as well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I think that if the down doesn't shift too much in the wide chambers ...

you'll have one WARM underquilt! Nice warmth for the price, and the weight is respectable as well.
    The additional down and shortening the length seem to help keep the down in place, the baffles are fairly full. We shall see.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    I thought about putting a 2.5 or larger CS layer between my Costco double. I just ripped the stitching the other day.
    Already have a 18" section I left unsewn. We'll see. Got alot of different projects going on lol

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    I added a layer of 2.5 oz climashield to my Costco ridgerunner underquilt in hopes to minimize the thermal bridging from the sewn through baffles. Works pretty well so far, have been warm to mid 40's with just seam ripping and adding the climashield.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I did almost the same thing on my daughters quilt and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    add the Climashield to the outside...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    add the Climashield to the outside...
    You think it will work better that way? My reasoning for inside was to make the inside layer of fabric covering the climashield slightly narrower to give a differential cut and then not compress the down so much.

You think climashield on the outside will work better?

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    You think it will work better that way? My reasoning for inside was to make the inside layer of fabric covering the climashield slightly narrower to give a differential cut and then not compress the down so much.

You think climashield on the outside will work better?
    much better for several reasons. 1) even though you ripped seams, you still have sewn-through seams. Climashield and a outer cover will "fill-in" and cover those voids of the sewn-through.

2) synthetic insulation handles moisture better than down. splashing or rain will hit your exterior. Costco down throw has no water repellency. you can use a DWR fabric for your cover.

3)maybe most important, when we perspire that moisture is driven outward by our body heat until it reaches a place that is cool enough to slow down and reside. this is called the dew point.

if you put synthetic insulation inside of down it will make the dew point fall somewhere within the outer down layer. swap these around and the synthetic is where the dew point will most likely be and you quilt will remain drier overall...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    much better for several reasons. 1) even though you ripped seams, you still have sewn-through seams. Climashield and a outer cover will "fill-in" and cover those voids of the sewn-through.

2) synthetic insulation handles moisture better than down. splashing or rain will hit your exterior. Costco down throw has no water repellency. you can use a DWR fabric for your cover.

3)maybe most important, when we perspire that moisture is driven outward by our body heat until it reaches a place that is cool enough to slow down and reside. this is called the dew point.

if you put synthetic insulation inside of down it will make the dew point fall somewhere within the outer down layer. swap these around and the synthetic is where the dew point will most likely be and you quilt will remain drier overall...
    Thanks for the info on this, I plan to do some preliminary testing this week, will report my results.

• + New Posts