Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    How does the lite owl have double the fabric of the snipe and weigh just 2 ounces more? It seems reasonable that it would weigh about double.
    Well, I seem to remember that the Snipe was made from a 1.5oz fabric. Now they write it's made from a 1.0oz fabric. My guess is, that they updated descriptions and mixed something up. Either the fabric weight is wrong, or the total weight and hence the difference.

For a 58" x 132" single layer 1.0oz hammock I calculate a fabric weight of approximately 5.91oz. A double layer would be 11.82oz.
    For a 58" x 132" single layer 1.5oz hammock I get about 8.87oz.
    The difference between the 1.0oz DL and the 1.5oz SL would be about 2.95oz - which is closer to the stated weight difference of 2oz than the weight difference between a 1.0oz SL and a 1.0oz DL (5.91oz).

I would suggest contacting WL and asking them.

With regards to the Owls: I own the Lite Owl and the Night Owl and for whatever reason, I haven't used them much. They just seemed less comfortable than other hammocks I own or made myself. Maybe I should give them another try. In any case, there's nothing special about them: they're simply a 58" x 132" piece of fabric with a Warbonnet whip on the ends and a Knotty mod. You could order a Dutch double layer hammock and do the Warbonnet whip yourself, and you would have a similar hammock. Of course the stitching and finishing would differ, but the main difference is the fabric. The 1.1oz fabric used in my Lite Owl seems fairly stretchy; more than the 1.0oz Hexon. But I don't know the 1.0oz fabric WL now seems to use.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    LiteOwl is single layer
    NightOwl is double layer
    Snipe is single layer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    LiteOwl is single layer
    NightOwl is double layer
    Snipe is single layer?

From their website description of the Liteowl.
    :
    This new hammock is straight from the wing of the night owl! Constructed of double 1.0 oz. ripstop nylon, this hammock gives you the extra room to get in a nice flat laying position. The Lite Owl also offers a 26" opening for a pad.

Includes: Whoopie Slings (72") and Tree Hugger Straps (72")

Maximum weight is 350 lbs., hammock measures 58"X132".

The Lite Owl has a total pack weight of 16.5 oz. (7 oz. less than the Night Owl).and only 2 oz more than the snipe hammock.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Marty at WildernessLogics made a custom LiteOwl for me. He used Dutch's 1.6 Hexon wide fabric. Mine is 12feet long by 6feet wide very comfortable--though not for everybody--by the time you get a larger custom bug net and a 13 by 12 tarp you have weight and volume challenges that backpackers don't like. That said I think you could go with just a little wider and longer than standard size LiteOwl and get a big jump in comfort. I think Marty will make anything you want--and the quality and workmanship is perfect.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    Same here, Marty and Wilderness Logics crew built a custom Night Owl with double layers of Dark Olive Hexon Wide 1.6. Had it sewn with Blaze Orange Gütermann Mara 70 Thread, Knotty Mods, no pad opening, with a matching XL Hexon stuff sack. Excellent craftsmanship, I love mine.
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've been throwing money at Wilderness logics for all my hammock related purposes. Marty is extremely nice and responds to emails very quickly. I don't hesitate to ask him any questions.

The lite owl is a good hammock for a fair price. You could probably do ok with something less expensive, but, from my perspective, the quality and reliability from wilderness logics would win my vote any day

Yeah. I will just jump on the WL band wagon here. Talk to Marty and then see if he can do a custom set up that works for you. Marty and his team are experts that used to work in the furniture industry providing quality soft goods around the nation. I know you aren't going to regret going with other cottage vendors, but, the speed and quality that Marty bangs things out with is amazing. (Simply Light falls into that category too.) As far as any weight concerns Marty can almost eyeball a weight with fabric and could easily give you the answers you seek. I also have found his weight reporting to be spot on with his products.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12