Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've had both and now I only ever use my http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ Winter Haven. It has integrated doors and when you do not need them you can simply connect them together on the outside of the tarp.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Tarp with doors for me eccept in dead heat of summer, Then a nice open style like the Hanger tarps from UGQ, Who says you can only have one tarp??

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I ran a Yukon Outfitters Dimond tarp for 2 years, I finally got a warbonnet Superfly about 6 months ago thinking I would use it as my winter tarp and keep the Yukon for summer. After taking the superfly fly out for a test run I have yet to us the Yukon again. I might add in the process of trying to get a new tarp I ended up with a free standard from OES because of their horrid customer service, so I do have a "top-end" lightweight summer Tarp and I still prefer the superfly. For me the extra room and coverage options are well worth the extra weight.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I started out thinking a tarp with attached doors sounded great, but sometimes you get paralysed by the amount of options. I feel fairly confident now that having the doors attached will be a choice I will be happy about! The fabric choice will be up in the air until I put in my order, I guess :-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was all for my Mamajamba with the door kit at first, leaving doors at home, or just bringing two doors for some extra coverage. But after a while I just didn't want to mess with that and bought my Superfly with doors. I like it all being one piece. If it had to be just one tarp, of course the one with doors. But I really like having two tarps to choose before a trip.

Regarding the cuben, it's not just the price for me, but many other things. I like my cuben hex, but even that simple tarp packs down to a pretty big size - at least twice the size of my silnylon which is actually a LARGER tarp! So getting a larger cuben tarp (i.e. with doors) is not for me. Now I'm really interested in this silpoly thing.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Wit doors for sure in my opinion. Because K.I.S.S and all that.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    I choose a superfly (integrated doors) for several reasons.

1. Privacy- when camping with Boy Scouts we emphasize privacy and respect. There are a couple of female scouters so ...
    2. You never know what will happen and I want to be prepared.

as an example of #2 we were camping by a lake after a long day of hiking and it was HOT. I set up my hammock and tarp perpendicular to the lake to catch even the smallest breeze. about 1am it went from dead calm to a tempest with rain blowing almost sideways, coming directly from the lake side.

got up staked out the doors and was back to sleep in less than 5 minutes.

no digging in the pack to find the doors and then spending additional time (while my gear might be getting wet) to get them attached.

If you are going to carry doors, "just in case", then they might as well be attached.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    If you're dealing with blowing weather doors make perfect sense to add much more comfort and protection.
    You can always as well use zippers to close the doors with 3 pulls to accommodate the hammock suspension
    I made a Hammock Hot Tent from PU4000 Silpoly and it packs down extremely small and weighs in a 3.5lbs with the stove jack....but using the same concept of design without walls and no stove jack it would be a tight little package worthy of doing.
    I myself am in initial design thoughts on a new tarp build and just may do a V shaped tarp with zippered doors

Video of my Hammock Hot Tent ...if that lends any ideas into your build decisions.

Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBBXL
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Yeti/Diamond
    Suspension
    whoopies/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghashul View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I started out thinking a tarp with attached doors sounded great, but sometimes you get paralysed by the amount of options. I feel fairly confident now that having the doors attached will be a choice I will be happy about! The fabric choice will be up in the air until I put in my order, I guess :-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Doors attached is the way to go, especially in a wet climate.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    I like the lower cost advantage of an extra long rectangular tarp with extra stake loops in the correct locations for rigging tuck under doors. Those loops may be standard from good tarp makers. Ask for tabs on the ends of the tarp sides for tying the doors together in the center of the gap, or glue on after market ones.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast