Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY DL w/attached bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 10deg quilts

1/2inch CCF pad and DBL wide reflectix

Being that I'm new to hammocking, I'm trying to get an idea of insulation capabilities. I have a double-wide piece of reflectix and one of the cheap WM blue CCF pads that I plan to use until I can buy or DIY an underquilt. I plan to use the CCF on top of the reflectix. I know experimentation for my personal limits will be in order but has anyone tried this arrangement that can provide an edumacated guestimate how low this might be able to work? If it matters, I have a 15degree sleeping bag that I plan to use also until I can buy/DIY a top quilt.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It really depends on each individual and the humidity. If the humidity is high this combination can store a lot of the bodies condensation and the result can be a cold nights sleep. As you stated, try it out a few times near home and see how it works for you.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    My guess is if you're a warm sleeper this will get you around 35 degrees. Condensation is something to watch, but you can vent your topquilt and pull one of the pads out if condensation starts building. My guess is that as long as you're venting, you won't need to worry about condensation until it warms up a bit. Good luck, and you're right. Spend some time testing to see what works for you.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used a ccf pad down to 22* F and was warm, but the condensation was too much. I woke up with pools of condensation on the pad, and when I got out of the hammock, I was very chilly and very wet. That was the last night I used a pad; I bought an underquilt after that.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I took one to the upper 30's and was quite damp.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    i still say that with a layer of material heavier than a sweat shirt (ie sleeping bag) between you and the pad, you wont have to worry about too much condensation.

I have used my 1/2" green WM pad and 15° Marmot Trestle bag down to 25° with no condensation. I'm a warm sleeper and only had a cotton t shirt and sweat pants on. Also I sleep in my bag instead of using it as a top quilt, with the pad under the bag.

By comparison, I slept out back this week, got down to 47°, I slept on the pad in a t-shirt and sweat pants with my DIY Costco TQ, and had a thin line of condensation running down my spine. Was hoping to push the TQ colder but the wind changed direction and it warmed up over night, hencethe pad instead of my DIY underquilt.

I haven't tried reflectix, not sure how that will affect the dampness. Lastly, if you're camping to the North of your location we should be in comparable weather and humidity, since I am in NWPA. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you...

Hammock
    DIY DL w/attached bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 10deg quilts
    Thanks all. I knew that I'd have to experiment to find my personal limits but was hoping for a guestimate. I also knew from reading here that there might be condensation issues...which, I still can't understand how a pad on the ground is not a problem but a pad in the air and you get condensation. I have read some things here about why but just can't wrap my head around it. IDK. Anyway, thanks again all.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabhanger View Post
    Thanks all. I knew that I'd have to experiment to find my personal limits but was hoping for a guestimate. I also knew from reading here that there might be condensation issues...which, I still can't understand how a pad on the ground is not a problem but a pad in the air and you get condensation. I have read some things here about why but just can't wrap my head around it. IDK. Anyway, thanks again all.
    I think at least part of it has to do with the fact that, on the ground, you are typically inside a sleeping bag and in a hammock it sounds like most folks try to use a top quilt pad combo. When sleeping right against the pad with nothing more than the thin nylon of the hammock you get dampness.

Like a previous poster mentioned, I have used a Wally World pad without any problems at all but I too was inside my sleeping bag. Being inside the bag seems to make the difference. Have done this in temps from the low 20's to the upper 30's no prob.

That said, I have since made my own underquilt and have found it to be more comfortable. I'm going to test it in the yard tomorrow night when the low is supposed to be in the 20's. It's a full length quilt that requires almost no fiddling and has not once shifted out of place (been using it in the basement for a while).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think it's the convective air currents one experiences in a hammock, that you'll never encounter on the ground. You just don't get cold moving air underneath your pad while on the ground (and if you do, seek the help of a qualified mental health professional).

So condensation occurs when there is a big difference between the air below the pad, and the air above the pad (where you are). Putting the pad inside of the sleeping bag might help reduce condensation, or even taping a blanket outside the pad might help. However, a pad is still a vapor barrier, and some condensation will occur.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've was using the CCF for a while, with a DL hammock and a mummy bag opened up as a TQ. More often tha not I woke up with a wet back.

Gave up on both the pad an the DL hammock. Never looked back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast