Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quilt Set

Well I was thinking about trying to set up my hammock on the ground in some of those situations. I haven't actually done enough research but I've heard about using perhaps your bike and some trekking poles to use your hammock setup into a ground dwelling, basically like a bivvy with a tarp set up above.

My question now I suppose do I get a 0, 10, or 20 degree underquilt? If I go with the coldest one I can just vent it in order to be comfortable in warmer weather, right? Would I be able to use it at 60degrees? Or should I go with a slightly lighter one that will work better for most of the temps I'll encounter?

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Once you go to the ground you will need a pad. And sleeping bag would be better option to topquilt as well, mainly in the cold high altitude areas wich you will not avoid.

I would take ultralight down sleeping bag that I can use on the ground, and cold conditions.
    http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/ca...0?gid=59&vid=6

And synthetic underquilt for the hammock sessions. Together with sleeping bag in cold conditions, and using your underquilt as topquilt in hot conditions. You will pass through some hot humid areas, most likely during rainy season. I am not sure how the down underquilt would handle this ongoing high humidity problem. Maybe somebody with more experiences could write something here

Enjoy you trip, will be great journey.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    wow two years? congratulations. however, I don't think you'll be able to cover all eventualities with just one set of quilts. too much variation in temp and using them continuously you might just wear them out.

to get you started, contemplate the range of temps for your first 6months and build in a safety factor of maybe 10-15*. without knowing a thing about what you'll encounter, a good range of temps are covered by having 0*, 20*, and 40* top quilts.

focus on your UQ. it's the most important since you can add more insulation on top but you're pretty much stuck with your UQ temp rating. my preference is to overmatch the UQ by about 10*. you can always vent if you get too warm...

and personally, my break point for type of insulation is around freezing. below this temp I prefer down, above this, I can get along with synthetic even though it is heavier and doesn't last as long as good quality down.

good luck...

Thank you so much everyone for all of your thoughts and ideas. I believe my plan is to get a 0 or 10 degree underquilt, a 20 degree tq, and bring along the 50 degree tq I already have as well. I think I'm going to go with all down for its compactability and life and maybe get a protector for the uq. Anyone have any thought on those? Helpful?

Also I'm wondering about tarps. From my research so far I think I'll go silpoly for its ability to hold its shape and not mist through. I'm thinking something fairly large for living space and cover my bike. Doors maybe? Thoughts? Which tarps to look at? Thanks again!

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    2QZQ for UQ protectors.

Someone was making a bikecamping tarp, but I don't recall who. When I was looking for a full tarp with doors, silpoly was not widely used. I got the Superfly based on recommendations from many and later got Dutch's outside pole mod. It's a great setup and off-the-shelf.

I think more are using Silpoly now, but if you can afford it get Cuben. I think several vendors would customize a tarp with one side longer for your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Are you trailering, using racks? I think what you bring depends more on what you can carry than on weight... Yes weight matters, but not with the same emphasis as would be if carrying on your back. I can carry way more weight with my bike than I can on my back.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I would go for rectangular tarp 4x3 meters. If you will get the tieouts sewn on good spots, you can even close your tarp like with doors

It is not closed completely here on the picture, but I can do so:

You will benefit from the larger tarp mainly during the downpours that you will enjoy quite a lot in 2 years. It will serve you even you will need go to the ground. If you can, choose lightweight fabric /xenon .9/ and such tarp can go to 440 grams and packs pretty small.

Did we mention bugnet already?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    To test the rainy jungle you can take a trip to the vicinity of Beaufort SC in the spring... Most of the movies you see with jungle locations in them are filmed there.

I agree on the big tarp... If you're going to be stuck waiting out monsoon rains, youll want a larger space to stretch out in. If you're using a minimalist tarp you'll have nowhere to hang wet clothes. I remember back before I bought my Bullfrog, trying to change into dry clothes before getting into my hammock, trying to huddle under that little triangle of waterproof cloth...

Someone mentioned using the bike in place of a tree... i saw a one man tent once that used a wheel on one end, and the frame on the other end. Toss THAT idea:

You've been cranking it out all day. you stop at a nice spot a few miles from town, set up your camp, but today, you decide, you want to eat in a sit-down restaurant! but your bike is now PART of your campsite. And what happens if you want to spend a week somewhere? As a cyclist, the most unnatural thing for me to do is walk anywhere that a road already goes... Now, the other side of that is, would you want to set up camp and then leave it for your gear to be stolen?
    for insulation probably take:

a Sea-to-Summit Reactor for jungle,
    a 45° TQ for intermediate temps
    And a full 0° TQ/UQset for the cold.

You can use the 0° UQ with the 45° TQ without overheating (I can)
    Or layer the 45° with the 0° TQ for extra warmth

As pointed out, keeping it all dry will be important

To keep it from being stolen IDK his inventive they get down there, but I use a 12 ft dog cable that I bought at Biglots, with the clips removed and a lock on my bike. I figure if they've got a tool to cut a small cable, it can probably cut a big one too, so why carry that weight? And if they can pick the lock, then your screwed anyway.

Speaking of which, get a waterproof fanny pack and keep all your documents and money on you at all times, as well as your most commonly needed bike tools. You don't want to have to dig through your gear to change a tire, and you don't want to leave anything to be stolen along with the bike.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    How about a Ridgerunner and a pad so that you have flexibility of ground or air. The RR will essentially convert to a tent. The poles may be a challenge to store.
    Sounds like an amazing adventure! I wish you Michael success and outstanding experiences!
    I'll be spending a few weeks in Peru in May.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12