Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Angry My HORRIBLE luck!!!

So, after my bug in the ear incident a few weeks ago I vowed never to go netless again unless the landscape was a frozen tundra and no insects could possibly be around. Good thing I made this decision. Everyone knows that its not good practice to eat or have food in or around your hammock for the obvious reasons. And even though we don't have bears where I live there's still plenty of other scavenging animals to deal with. So I don't do it. Ill have a drink in a sports bottle outside the hammock, but that's it.

Now, last night around 4am I was sound asleep but started hearing a faint kinda grunting/ snorting noise and felt something bumping up against me right under the shelf of my BB XLC. I knew I didn't have any food with me, but then realized that whatever it was could possibly have been attracted to the smell of the down in my new Incubator I got a few days ago.....And it does have a pretty strong smell just like my burrow did when I got it a few weeks ago. Idk if its from the stuff that makes the down water resistant or if its the natural oils on the down itself, but they both have a distinct odor that's pretty strong at first. The burrow has gotten better from airing it out with use thankfully. Now, since I was still half asleep and worried I was gonna open my eyes to see $300 worth of feathers floating under my tarp, my first reaction was to sit up and turn my light on to see what was out there. Bad idea. VARY BAD idea. As I turned my light on and leaned over to look down and out of the netting that's pulled out on the zip side of the XLC, I was greated with the mouth of one VARY pissed off opossum that was determined to come in and sleep with me. The little hell weasle bit holes in the netting and hammock body by the zipper and was about an inch away from getting the side of my face as well . I instantly yelled at it and it took off into the night , screaming and snorting.

I didn't see any damage so after my heart stopped pounding I fell back to sleep. However, when I got up this morning I noticed the holes it made, the hair and gunk from its mouth matted to the net and stain on the fabric from the same . I'm about to email Warbonnet guy to see how he recommends I fix the holes but does anyone have any ideas? Its a brand new hammock too. Had I been awake all the way when is happened I might not have moved so quickly and startled it. I've only had the hammock for a month and i take great care of my gear because I can't afford to replace things all the time, especially now since I have 3 kids and its almost Xmas and Ive spent my gear budget for the next few years getting my 0° quilt set + the WBBBXLC. But buy once cry once right? So hopefully the damage can be fixed properly but cheaply. At least the rabbid hell creature didn't tear through my UQP and into my UQ!

IMG_20161202_094054_hdr.jpgIMG_20161202_093923_hdr.jpgIMG_20161202_093508_hdr.jpgIMG_20161202_094214_hdr.jpgIMG_20161202_093225_hdr.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Man that sucks and scary especially being half asleep. You could use this: http://www.dutchwaregear.com/mcnett-...patch-kit.html for the net. I've used it in my tent and works well. Not sure how to fix the hole in the fabric though
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    "hell weasel" - man, that is appropriate. Kicked one 20 yards in the air once... true story.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    That would have scared the living crap out of me. Sorry to hear about your rig. You're lucky it wasn't worse.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    That'll buff right out.

What a great story for a couple of battle scars.

"Tell us again Grandpa, about the great possum attack of 2016"
    "Well gather round children, it was cold December night and the moon was full..."

For sure touch base w/ WB as mentioned. The mesh patch kit I've seen in action and works well. I've got some small holes but not ready to patch them just yet. Maybe some tenacious tape on the fabric holes so they don't expand.

Opossum do play dead but not until they put up a little bit of a struggle and bluff some serious aggression. Otherwise they're harmless and incredibly useful as tick control if nothing else. Have a bunch in my woods and am glad of it. Never had any trouble except when the dogs trap them in the yard and corner them against a fence. No biting or fighting, I walk out with a shovel, they get grumpy, then play dead and I hoist them over the fence. They get to scootin' pretty quick. Possum do have a nasty bite but it has to be a pretty doggone unusual circumstance for that to be possible and you just provided the first I've heard. It's no joke as they are known to carry rabies but so do many other critters.

Sorry for you luck w/ the new gear. Everything is new until that first 'incident', mine was a falling branch that punched a hole in some netting.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Wow. Critters just love you.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Sorry to hear about the "hell weasel" (lol) getting to your hammock. I wonder, were you hanging pretty low? Around here they are slow moving, short and squatty. I know they climb but sounds like this sucker was getting at you from the ground.

Anyway, I have had similar holes in my XLC netting and Brandon recommended TearAid to fix. I am sure he will recommend the same for you. It works GREAT and the function is as good as new...but pretty much looks like sh*t and your XLC definitely wont look new anymore. On the bright side now it will have some battle scars/character and a story to tell.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...tearaid-patch/

https://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Fabr...words=tear+aid
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Oh man! That's awful! Good thing he didn't snag YOU with his ice pick teeth!

You need to accessorize your hammock with a large, well trained dog!

I feel for you. I'd be plain sick if something ripped my hammock like that.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    "Mourning with you, as you mourn.
    Ratdog is right, though... You've got a great story, there.
    Sometime, 10, 20 years from now, you'll be glad you have some campfire tales to tell, when there's a listening ear....
    Remind me sometime, to tell you the one about the raccoon that crawled into my son's bed and bit him on the shoulder.
    Regards, Ted

"What's the best gift you can give a kid?
    Happily married parents!"
    Last edited by winterbeard; 12-02-2016 at 20:30. Reason: ocd error

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    wow that sucks. my greatest fear is jamming the zipper with the bugnet or hammock body, but never thought a critter could do that kind of damage with you laying in it.

fwiw, i was quoted about $75 a few months ago from warbonnet for them to replace the entire bugnetting of my xlc, in case you want to go down that road.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast