Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If your jammed knot is up in tree--too high to stomp. You can take two smooth stones placed inside of two separate socks and gently tap the knot from opposite sides until your jammed knot flattens enough to lose its grip. And sometimes a knot that is jammed can be capsized by pulling one or more ends until the knot changes shape and maybe loosens--no guarantee of this always working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    subcanis--you might want to add Farrimond Friction Hitch to your knot list. FFH can be tied in the bight--or in middle of rope ( I think it is the only slip and grip hitch that can be tied without access to either end. And of course it does not jam and is the only friction hitch that is absolutely quick release. Any knot that does not jam and releases quickly is great for breaking camp in a hurry--like when it's raining.
    Suppose you have tied a knot, and it jams--you could speak in foreign tongues, or cut your rope! Or you can carry a polished wood fid (not the hollow kind), to work the knot out--without cutting. And there is my favorite way of dealing with a jammed knot. When a knot is real tight, it usually has a rounded shape--so if you can flatten this rounded shape to a flat or pancake shape--the knot has to loosen a bit to become flat. If rope is cheap, I just stomp on it on a rock or the floor. But if it's expensive amsteel, I put cloth or paper above and below knot before stomping on knot on a flat rock or floor. When knot goes from round to flat--it loses a bit of its grip and can be undone easily. Yelling helps too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks PG! I had never heard of the farrimond before. In a situation where that would seem applicable, I'd probably have used the siberian (or Evenk) hitch. But I love to have options. Thanks!

Images
    Good one for shockcord is the Zeppelin Bend. Doesn't slip or jam (easily). Shockcord can be a devil.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    When hammock camping, I have tuned my system to the point where I only tie "slippery" knots to complete my setup, typically a variation of the slippery half hitch. Like PG said above, it makes for quick and easy break-down.

In the deployment of my hammock, I tie two slippery half hitches on either strap to hang my whoopie slings from. (No spike needed)

I use one Dutch Fleaz for my tarp CRL so no knots needed there, but I tie slippery half hitches in my stake-outs to secure the lines to stakes, rocks, or growth. My stake-out lines are secured to my tarp guy-out points with prussiks for adjustability but I leave them on so they don't need to be tied/untied when deploying/securing my tarp.

I gather my excess lines/straps in a figure eight wrap secured with a slippery half.

I hang my food bag appropriately and secure it with a slippery half.

Those are the only knots I need to set up camp. I know more, but haven't needed them for the most part. YMMV and HYOH!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    I used to know a couple dozen or more knots. My dad was Navy...
    Plus in scouts we used a few. Now I don't remember more than 6 or seven.
    Clove hitch, bowline, bowline on a bight, square, figure eight, sailor's hitch..( kinda like a truckers hitch, but super easy )... Maybe some others for fishing hooks.

"What's the best gift to give a kid?
    Happily married parents!"

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by subcanis View Post
    A wise person once said, "It is better to know a knot and not need it, than to need a knot and not know it."
    I prefer hardware as well, but I'll admit it is so exciting to finally get to use a knot you know, but haven't needed up until that point. This Summer I finally got to use an Icicle hitch, for hammocking no less!

IMAG00324.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Only knots I use when hammock camping:
    -Larkshead
    -Slippery Half Hitch
    -Marlin Spike Hitch

Haven't found a need for any others in my setup or misc. outdoor activities that keep me occupied.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12