WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The Z Lite is the one that is accordion like. I cut it across it's 25" width right at the middle fold. Once cut it's the perfect width of the Ridgerunner extending a few inches up past the hem of the hammock side. I get little or no condensation which I believe to be a result of the waffle like construction. Of course I place the Ridgerest in between the two layers of the hammock. It's a nice simple and reliable combo. If you have to go to ground you also have two pads under your torso.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I would not take the Spindrift. I have one I use when it's below 0*F because my TQ/UG are only rated to 0*F. But, it's extra weight and it's not waterproof.

I would definitely get a tarp with doors. The extra weight is very small but the amount of additional weather protection you get is huge. Note that if you buy a SF there will be about a football silhouette -sized gap at the top of each door where the hammock suspension lines pass through. There are 2 ways you can get around that: Tie a cinch knot over the 2 lines and slide it down to just inside the doors or get a 13' hammock. Another thing to know about the SF: the pullout points down match the RR. They are about 6" inboard of the spreader bars. I solved that problem using clip-on tie outs from Dutch Gear.

There is a tremendous amount of compression on the spreader bars. The first option mentioned above significantly increases that compression. If you're at the upper weight limit of that hammock (250 lbs), that might be too much for your Ca fiber spreader bars.

One more thing you may want to consider: How well a CF tarp will wear at the point where the spreader bars can touch it when the hammock swings. I read a thread where someone punched a hole in their CF tarp with the spreader bar on a bridge hammock. That's something you want to be careful about especially when you have your tarp cranked down.

Caveats: I'm not a thru-hiker. My hiking experiences are mostly less than 5 days with a max of 6 weeks.

HTH
    Last edited by sliver; 12-10-2016 at 00:23.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have used the monopod hiking pole mod many nights in my RR. I've never brought the RR poles on a hike...only car camping. That's what I would take with me.

Bsquare, any updates on the Roto Locura trekking poles? I'm still deciding on whether to go with Ridge Runner or Saddle 2 tent, and I'm curious as to what your final setup, all relevant camping gear included, ended up being (and weighing [and costing]).

Hammock
    BB and RR
    Tarp
    HG STD CF W/Doors
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Thanks for all the good advice and information.

I have not pursued the Roto Locura poles. Mainly because I've decided it would be a simpler system to use my WBBB. While the RR presents some very nice sleep, I'm of the opinion I can make the BB work for me. YMMV.

I've set my tentative start date as 4/13/17...but still have not told the work boss. The home boss wants to start at the approach trail and hike with me to Neal Gap. So I will be starting with our tent, as she has not drank the Kool-Aid for hammocks...yet.

Link here is for my pack information...still a few bugs to work through and tweak, but I think for a long hike this will work for me. If you guys see any thing I'm missing, I would appreciate your input. At least I think I've copied the link below.

https://lighterpack.com/r/bihstv

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    I saw your original post--I started with a bridge hammock and a diy poly cryo tarp & carried both spreader bars from Campo to Kearsarge Pass. I took one trekking pole (reflective umbrella in the other hand) & took a DIY adapter to allow it to double as a spreader. After Kearsarge Pass, I took a couple weeks off. I returned with a Blackbird and a superfly tarp, because the spreader bars had worn a hole in the poly cryo. The setup was simpler, I never turned even once to side sleep (likely a yearning to return to fetal position in a warm womb) and the simpler suspension averted issues with the doors on any tarp with doors. Hammocked through northern California, Oregon and Washington. Best hike I've ever had. Best hike you'll ever have.
    Last edited by kayak4water; 02-12-2017 at 16:10.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    I looked at your gear list.
    Comments:
    I might leave out the frogg toggs pants since you have the rain kilt. You can achieve coverage for your lower legs with diy tyvek gaiters. I made my gaiters of a heavier Waterproof breathable fabric I had lying around. My diy silnylon kilt that extends to mid calf, plus the gaiters worked well in heavy rain here in Washington. I could actually really walk without getting all clammy between the legs.
    If you don't have a lighter stove saucepan combo, the SOL is the way. A MSR Pocket Rocket stove 3.0 oz plus Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700 Mug 4.8 oz to just save 2.9 oz may not pass if I can't return the SOL.
    Good choice on merino wool hiking shirt (vs. synthetic)--if you can't be good looking, be handy or clever, not stinky. I had a long sleeve fleece shirt for sleeping. I also had diy fleece arm warmers to walking in the cold mornings.
    In the deserts, I hiked with just my boxer shorts or my convertible pants, but never both when it got hot. A kilt might have been better, but I didn't have time to trial that.
    Neosporin. Methicillin resistant Staph Aureus scoffs at Neosporin. Thorough washing of cuts/scrapes will suffice. An infection takes 5+ days to develop after bacteria get in. You'll know before you get to the next road junction.
    I hope BD Alpine Carbon z poles linkage improves on that of my BD Distance Carbon Z poles--they look the same and it worries me slightly. It malfunctioned on one pole during my last 80 miles. The weight you reported for BD Alpine Carbon z poles doesn't agree with the REI listed 110 cm 1 lb. 1.5 oz. Maybe you have the distance carbon z?
    I don't see a Spot, Delorme inReach or ACR personal locator beacon. I left mine at home, and wished I had it. You could save yourself or somebody who left it at home. When you've been bit by a rattler or you've got High Altitude Pulmonary Edema 40 miles from anywhere, calling in a chopper is priceless.
    Last edited by kayak4water; 02-12-2017 at 16:07.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I strongly considered my WBRR and CF winter palace last year for a AT section hike with a friend and dog. When it came down to it the zpacks Duplex won out for weight and dog comfort considerations.

My .02 is consider taking a silpoly tarp. I would be 1/5 to 1/4 the cost and you could replace it 4 or 5 times for the cost of a CF if something went awry (not that that could possibly happen on a thru-hike) or normal wear and tear. I am very pleased with the silpoly tarp for my hammocktent 90 degree from Mountain Wilderness for it's ample coverage, small pack size, weight, and price.

I use the WBRR with the 11' cuben tarp from Adam. I have had no bad experiences. I do hang the tarp a bit high to help with the spreader bar issue.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12