BB and RR
    Tarp
    HG STD CF W/Doors
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch

RidgeRunner and CF Tarp for Thru Hike

Looking for suggestions for reducing the weight penalty for carrying a Bridge on a 2017 AT thru hike attempt

Just ordered the WB RR - So I've been scouring the interweb till I've throughly confused myself and decided to start a discussion to get a concise thread that might help answer questions not only for myself, but for other gear weanies. If I have missed a post that is already on here, I apologize, but please link me up?

1) I've contacted Josh at Ruta Locura about making Carbon Fiber trekking poles that can double as Spreader Bars...so I think I have that covered. I currently own a pair of B/D CF Z poles and Leki AL poles - but I can't see how those could be modified to work?

2) Any other areas of the WBRR that I can look into to reduce weight that I should consider?

3) I've got a 10 ft HG CF Standard with doors - but I think not only the length will be too short, but the width has me concerned. Several threads go on about 12 ft and 13ft "Poly" tarps - so I'm not wanting input on those tarps - I'm only considering CF for the weight.

My questions if I buy a HG CF Tarp
    a) is the width of 4ft 6 inches enough coverage for a bridge using the HG 11 ft Standard with doors?
    b) Or should/could I consider going without doors?
    c) Or would you buck up and buy the Palace 11 ft and deal with the "bulk" issue (pack size is limited- so I'm leary of adding the Palace, but I want to stay dry without extra protection like a Spindrift.

Thanks for your opinions & advice!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would go for the Palace 11 foot and you can almost close the doors. The carbon fiber poles/spreader bars are a good idea but consider what you would do if you accidentally break a hiking pole.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    During my thru attempt in 2012 I used a Dream Hammock's Hammock with a built in weather shield. It was one of the best decisions I made as the weather shield saved my bacon on more than one occasion. It raises the inside temp considerably and blocks almost all the wind.My point is, I would reconsider taking the spindrift. You could use it during the colder months and then send it home. You could offset the weight by getting a basic cuben fiber tarp. I should also say that the only hammock I use now is the Ridgerunner. I also exclusively use a pad with my RR although on my AT hike I used an UQ. Pads work great with the RR, you don't have to worry about getting them wet and they are at the ready if you need or want to go to ground. I don't see how you could lose more weight other than the poles, cuben tarp and the lightest suspension currently being offered.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I had the 12' standard with doors. I found it didn't provide enough coverage width wise for my rr. I wish I would have got the palace so I ended up selling it. A 11' or 12' palace is the way to go in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Regarding bulk... How difficult would it be to roll up the tarp, then attach it outside the rucksack?

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Pads work great with the RR, you don't have to worry about getting them wet and they are at the ready if you need or want to go to ground.
    May I ask what your pad dimensions are?

I've been contemplating between NeoAir Long in standard vs lite shape..

Hammock
    BB and RR
    Tarp
    HG STD CF W/Doors
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Thanks for all the comments, I'm gonna go with an 11' Palace. The width really had me concerned after watching a few video's.

Bulk - its not one item so much as the culmination of many items that can make unloading a pack look like a bunch of clowns climbing out of a VW.

I too would be interested in knowing what pads work best for the RR. I've got a Regular NeoAir and the wife has a Small Neo Air - I'll probably work on seeing if I can fit hers in my pack with all my other gear for those times I need to go to ground.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    If you buy the spindrift, have Brandon do the double door mod. If you are up to a little Diy, you can add bugnet to the doors--- Then you can get by with a nonet ridge runner, and will have a very versatile all weather system. I'm so used to using a spindrift on my hammocks that I never leave home without it. Makes a huge difference on a cold windy night! Also the blackdiamond monopod camera mount poles work great for spreader bars! (inexpensive, and very strong!) Good luck on your thru hike!!!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have used the Neo Air Xlite but have mostly switched to the Thermarest Ridgerest at 25" X 77". I like it because it is bombproof and will never deflate. I also use the Thermarest Z lite cut in half to go across my shoulder area. It also doubles as a great sit pad.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I have used the Neo Air Xlite but have mostly switched to the Thermarest Ridgerest at 25" X 77". I like it because it is bombproof and will never deflate. I also use the Thermarest Z lite cut in half to go across my shoulder area. It also doubles as a great sit pad.
    Cut which way?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast