Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question How do you sew a rolled hem (easy way?)

I searched the forums for information relating to an easy and efficient ways to sew a 3/8 to 1" rolled hem. If there is an existing post please let me know so I can take a look.

I'm sure everyone that sews light weight fabrics have struggled with this. I know I have. Here are some of the things I've tried.

Standard process of rolling fabric once and then once more. --- Works decent but I find that the fabric will twist and distort at times.

I thought about tape, either single side or double. The single sided masking tape works best for me at this time, but it doesn't want to stick very well to Silploy. I assume the silicone causes that. For a 1/2" hem I put 1/2" tape on the outer edge and then turn the taped fabric over once and then then once more. Being able to feel the 1/2" tape inside the fold helps.

NOTE; I plan to order some double sided tape so that I can try it.
    Has anyone tried this?

Any suggestions concerning tape that will stick to Silpoly and other such light weight materials?

--- I thought the tape glue might present a problem with the needle, but so far I haven't experience any. ---

Thanks in advance...
    Dan Ayo

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I'm probably odd, but I have always just eyeballed my seams as I go. Occasionally, when I'm sewing multiple pieces together, I'll use binder clips to hold them together. I don't like using tapes and such because of the residue and extra junk.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Varies...
    I'm brand new to sewing (as of 4 months ago)...I'm somewhat OCD but I've realized that for me at least, it's easier to have a not-quite-so-straight-and-perfect seam than it is to try and get the light fabric held together. I gave up trying pretty quickly and like him ^^^^^ I just kinda wing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In vino veritas.

Jeremiah 29:11

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    As I kid, I remember seeing my mom using straight pins. I started with that method, however, when I read about binder clips on a thread, I switched. Now, I'm a binder clip convert!

◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    I'm probably odd, but I have always just eyeballed my seams as I go. Occasionally, when I'm sewing multiple pieces together, I'll use binder clips to hold them together. I don't like using tapes and such because of the residue and extra junk.
    I am odd too (so my wife says) but I too just eyeball the rolled hem for anything under 1/4" I have used the rolled hemming foot but I think the eyeball method is just as good. I like Wonder Clips if I need to hold multiple pieces together or for managing large tarps/quilts.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSLECLY?psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/URBEST-50-Pie...E8VVDBSR3VXSB0
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Cut a strip of paperboard (aka cereal box cardboard) the desired width and 8 to 10 inches long. I make it with a metal straight edge and a box knife so that it's very uniform. Double roll the fabric over the cardboard as you sew. Stop every few inches to slide the cardboard back and roll a new section of fabric over. Be sure to stop and readjust before the cardboard advances under the needle (unless you enjoy ripping stitches).

Note: the finished seam will end up about 1/16 to 1/8 inch wider than the paperboard.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    I am odd too (so my wife says) but I too just eyeball the rolled hem for anything under 1/4" I have used the rolled hemming foot but I think the eyeball method is just as good. I like Wonder Clips if I need to hold multiple pieces together or for managing large tarps/quilts.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSLECLY?psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/URBEST-50-Pie...E8VVDBSR3VXSB0
    +1 on the Wonder Clips. They work great for me.

Here are two threads that were very helpful to me.:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ing-(DIY-tool)

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...led-Hem-Guides

I made guides with the plastic from the fruit container as practice before making a metal one, but the plastic one works so great that I just use that. It is a little tricky to get the size of the guide just right so I made multiples and use the one that is most precise. I tape it down to the machine with masking tape. Then I roughly prefold the hem, and secure with the wonderclips. I can fly through the rolled hem, and it comes out perfectly uniformly sized with the stitching always in the right place on the hem.

Another tip is that I lower the needle into the fabric before I put the foot down, so the bottom layer doesn't move.

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Hex 11ft 6in
    Insulation
    HG Inc UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dyn Strp, Cnch Bgs
    I'm in the middle of 3/4" folded hem on a Membrane Silpoly tarp. No chance I can do a double fold and sew it once with light, slippery material. Not fast, but I chaulk a line, fold, clip with Wonderclips, sew it. Chaulk a line, clip with Wonderclips, and sew again. That leaves two stitch lines on the underside and one on the top side.

hem.JPG
    Last edited by BCBob; 12-01-2016 at 14:22.

On a sewing site one lady runs a basting stitch down the length of the fabric at where you'd make the first fold. It adds a little structure and gives you something to fold over top of. You can then fold once more for the rolled hem.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast