Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by boatstall View Post
    Welcome to the forum Dan.
    Thanks. I've learned a lot. The forum in an unmatched resouce for all things hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    Cut a strip of paperboard (aka cereal box cardboard) the desired width and 8 to 10 inches long. I make it with a metal straight edge and a box knife so that it's very uniform. Double roll the fabric over the cardboard as you sew. Stop every few inches to slide the cardboard back and roll a new section of fabric over. Be sure to stop and readjust before the cardboard advances under the needle (unless you enjoy ripping stitches).

Note: the finished seam will end up about 1/16 to 1/8 inch wider than the paperboard.
    Thanks, I'm hoping to do something similar with masking tape. I've tried this and so far the glue in the tape has not been a problem. But it is not very sticky on the SipPoly.

I did get a great link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Bn...ature=youtu.be that I will be trying soon. I think this solution will work for me.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanAyo View Post
    Thanks, I'm hoping to do something similar with masking tape. I've tried this and so far the glue in the tape has not been a problem. But it is not very sticky on the SipPoly.

I did get a great link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Bn...ature=youtu.be that I will be trying soon. I think this solution will work for me.
    Here's what I use to help me. It looks like the same stuff as in the video. It comes in different widths. It's a bit tedious to use, but I'm terrible at free handing hems and couldn't get a roller foot to work. It's recommended to use the "lite" vs. the regular stuff.
    https://www.amazon.com/Warm-Company-...steam+a+seam+2

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm 4 weeks into sewing and have done several small projects.

So far I just eye ball it - once I get the first 3-6 inches done I find it pretty easy to keep the next foot rolled at my eyeball width that I started with and eye ball it from there.

That roll hem foot looks amazing! Maybe a dumb question but why do we not see small hems like that on hammocks made or tarps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I'm 4 weeks into sewing and have done several small projects.

So far I just eye ball it - once I get the first 3-6 inches done I find it pretty easy to keep the next foot rolled at my eyeball width that I started with and eye ball it from there.

That roll hem foot looks amazing! Maybe a dumb question but why do we not see small hems like that on hammocks made or tarps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably because the rough unfinished edges won't go through one of those feet cleanly. The larger hems contain the rough edges.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    winter dream, UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ under quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I sew a line down the fabric at 1/4" from the edge. Light fabric will easily turn over the line of thread, giving you a neat guide for your rolled hem.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanAyo View Post
    Can you elaborate? I plan to lookup the foot settings, but how do you hold the fabric?
    For the fabrics we sew with, you need very light presser foot pressure. What happens is you end up with differential pressure on your hem - the feed dogs are advancing the fabric at one rate, and the friction from the top foot causes the top of the seam to advance at a slightly lesser rate. A teflon foot can also help with this, and some machines have a middle setting to drop the feed dogs half-way.

On feeding the fabric, resist all temptation to pull the fabric taut either from the back or front to keep your hems in form. You want to let the feed dogs do the work, your job is really to just guide the fabric and keep it straight. Pulling will cause a gradual curve in your seam and will make it almost impossible to get a straight seam. If you find you need to pull it taut to keep the rolled hem in place, then either use wonder clips, use a basting stitch as mentioned to give it a natural folding point, or even iron it before hand against a straight edge. The cardboard form is a good solution, although I haven't personally used it.

I would avoid any tape whatsoever, as that's just going to collect sticky residue on your needle and eventually will cause issues. With silnylon, sewing down an single fold first and then rolling that can reduce frustration.

My free hand hem rolling has gotten better, but I've gotten quite good with the double rolled hem attachments that you screw to the bed and I now use them 90% of the time. Once you learn where the feeding edge of the fabric needs to be in relation to the guide you get perfectly straight and quick seams. They run about $15/ea, or you can get a set of them at a discount (check ebay, these are the ones that I use and I have a 3/8 from the same manuf).
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I just fold it over once by eyeball & sew. Then fold & sew again. Maybe not the prettiest, but plenty strong & looks good enough while I'm sleeping under it. LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    This is the best way, just go slow until you get better ar it. Clips are a pain to use for this. I also purchased a hem roller of various sizes and that made it even harder.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    Cut a strip of paperboard (aka cereal box cardboard) the desired width and 8 to 10 inches long. I make it with a metal straight edge and a box knife so that it's very uniform. Double roll the fabric over the cardboard as you sew. Stop every few inches to slide the cardboard back and roll a new section of fabric over. Be sure to stop and readjust before the cardboard advances under the needle (unless you enjoy ripping stitches).

Note: the finished seam will end up about 1/16 to 1/8 inch wider than the paperboard.
    This is a great idea! I'm going to have to try this for those one off seams that aren't worth setting up my hemming attachment. A while back bought a bunch of binding/hemming attachments from cutex sewing that screw into the machine base. These work best if I have lots of long runs as it is flawless. I still have to fold the fabric as it feeds through the hemming attachment but the attachment keeps my alignment and stitching on point as it feeds through.

The only downside to the attachment is that I rarely find it worth the setup time for those short runs here and there so I'm going to try this folding guide method. Slippery fabric is a real pain without mechanical assistance.
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Rolled hems on a curve, like the edges of a tarp, are an entirely different story. It can be quite difficult to avoid the twisting and gathering as it feeds through. The deeper the curve, the greater the challenge. I have just decided to grosgrain edge bind exposed curves with a binding attachment and while you do have to be careful to feed it properly, the end results have been far better than rolling for me at a negligible weight gain.
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast