Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie

Next purchase for colder camping

I have a Dutch netless hammock, Dutch Summer Sock, Arrowhead Jarbidge 3 season underquilt and use a synthetic mummy rated to 0F as a topquilt - all sheltered under a Noah 12. I also have access to a second Jarbidge, 40F synthetric summer bags, wool army surplus blanket and a Klymit insulated inflatable pad. Trying to figure out where to throw money for the next purchase. I think the winter camping will be without my daughter, but I usually shy away from down - she has allergies. Starting out car camping or short hikes (< 6 miles). I am in the northeast and there are a few group hangs I wish to attend - will learn plenty there but need to make sure I can survive the night. I've tent camped sub zero. I have hammock camped into low 30's with above set up. Familiar with what to wear, eat and trusty hot water bottle trick.

These are my ideas, would welcome your thoughts:

1. Existing set up, doubling up the underquilts to provide more coverage. Possibly draping a 40F bag over the ridgeline. Pros: I have it now. Cons: Tweaking to get it to work
    2. Arrowhead New river: I am impressed with the Jarbidge, a 4 season New River would work and could be doubled with the Jarbidge. Pros: Simple, warm, Cons: Cost
    3. Hot tent. I know, where did that come from. But getting a small stove to provide some warmth is extremely attractive. But the sleep system needs to work when stove goes out. Pros: warm toasty glow. Meet new friends as people stop in for tea. Cons: Weight, expensive, fuel, may not last full night
    4. 4 Season top quilt from Arrowhead? Great idea for space, initially I think my zero degree mummy is fine. Pro: Less space/weight. Cons: 0F mummy seems fine
    5. Costco down throw underquilt. Whip up a simple snap together full size underquilt to augment the Jarbidge. Pro: Downy goodness, in expensive. Cons: May not work for daughter, first DIY
    6. Snugpak Cocoon: Leave summer sock at home (or not) and hop into cocoon with 0F mummy and Jarbidge. Pro: inexpensive, simple. Cons: Weight, diagonal lay issues
    7. Winter shelter: Old many winter or similar. Pros: Weight savings over Noah, pull outs, etc.. Cons: Noah 12 does pretty well at this. Cost.

I understand the whole 'insulation is compressed so your bottom will freeze' thing. I am curious though about getting into the mummy that is wrapped in a jarbidge. Might offset the exposure of feet, head and shoulders. Maybe my first step is not an insulation purchase but to construct a turtle dove stand so I can test better in back yard (one hammock worthy tree).

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Where are you from/going? Region wise I mean...

Are you looking to expand your cold weather capability or expand comfort, or decrease weight?

I would consider a winter tarp for weight reasons and cold reasons.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Try your summer sock rotated 180 so the argon is on top. I used this setup last winter with good results.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Man that's a lot of options and fiddling. I would recommend to simplify and purchase a winter quilt and if the budget allows get a down quilt and be done with it.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Thanks all for the feedback...

Where are you from/going? Region wise I mean...
    NY. Northeast. Camp in Adirondacks and Algonquin Park Ontario. With current gear I am comfortable down to I'd say 20's. Wish to improve buffer in that. Dip my toe below zero.

Are you looking to expand your cold weather capability or expand comfort, or decrease weight?
    Expand comfort I'd say but with an eye on weight. Ok, that is a non answer. I want to first see if I can car camp / short hike in those temps with hammock gear. So more focused on comfort. Than I will venture a bit farther out - far enough where car is not convenient, but not a full day away.

I would consider a winter tarp for weight reasons and cold reasons.
    Will rig my Noah 12 with doors closed and see how that does. Since I have it. Similar winter tarps are half the weight. I am not sure that is the most bang for the buck. This is a strong contender since it could facilitate a hot tent.

Try your summer sock rotated 180 so the argon is on top. I used this setup last winter with good results.
    Thanks - will try that.

Man that's a lot of options and fiddling. I would recommend to simplify and purchase a winter quilt and if the budget allows get a down quilt and be done with it.
    There is a lot to be said for this option. I am amazed how comfortable my Jarbidge is. Could try a New River 4 season. I know, down is an "aspirational goal". But I like me gear to be usable by my daughter too. Will consider the New River 4 season more closely. I would think that with a zero mummy TQ and a sock would extend my comfort zone nicely.

#wwssd
    What Would Sir Shug Do? You are right, time to rewatch some of his videos.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I don't think he's referring to Shug. I could be mistaken.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    #wwssd?
    II. Be Respectful. This is not negotiable. We treat each other with respect at Hammock Forums. This is a great community where the norm is to support others in their ideas and projects (including respectful critiques), and not assume offense where none is intended...and therefore not to flame, call names, or create friction in our threads. It's often easy to get frustrated over someone's post and type a quick reply to "set them straight." If the original post is out of line and the follow-up is calm and respectful, then it is appropriate for well-established members to help newbies learn our norms. However, we will not show a lack of respect for each other. Disagreement is fine; disrespectful behavior is not. Please make it easier on the community and police your own posts. Since intent is hard to gauge on the internet, please start by giving the benefit of the doubt if the post is not clearly offensive.
    If I see this again kitsap it will be deleted.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My apologies. I believe my intent has been misconstrued. Who knew how few Steven Seagal fans there were on Hammock Forums? I attempted to lighten the OP's dilemma by injecting some levity by means of a harmless popular meme, but in light of recent events here I think I now understand the source of the confusion...

In my appeal for forgiveness, I'll only ask folks to consider the sage advice O&B posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    ...Since intent is hard to gauge on the internet, please start by giving the benefit of the doubt if the post is not clearly offensive.
    Sorry, O&B. Please know that it won't happen again. I will, of course, refrain from further input on hammock camping topics. Hopefully, this thread will be back on track now, and the OP can get the very best advice from the most experienced members here.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    GT Double, Dream is on order
    Tarp
    Cheap ebay Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ JR and Costco
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I am a newb but this is my experience. I tried to cut corners going cheaper on items. I froze, it was heavy and had to buy everything multiple times. I figured out it wasn't going to work. If I could do it all over again I would just save up and purchase quality equipment right from the get go. In your case a down under quilt would be what I would want to get next. I love KAQ and have their gear, it is top notch. I think the weight and pack size of the New River vs a down underquilt of like temp rating would be something to think about. For $50 extra you might be able to make a down under quilt a long term investment.

Hammock
    GT Double, Dream is on order
    Tarp
    Cheap ebay Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ JR and Costco
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    My apologies. I believe my intent has been misconstrued. Who knew how few Steven Seagal fans there were on Hammock Forums? I attempted to lighten the OP's dilemma by injecting some levity by means of a harmless popular meme, but in light of recent events here I think I now understand the source of the confusion...

In my appeal for forgiveness, I'll only ask folks to consider the sage advice O&B posted:

Sorry, O&B. Please know that it won't happen again. I will, of course, refrain from further input on hammock camping topics. Hopefully, this thread will be back on track now, and the OP can get the very best advice from the most experienced members here.
    I loved that it was morphed into the Hammock Community's version of Steven Seagal/Chuck Norris: Shug

WWSSD might be a new HF acronym

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast