Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice for when you have no choice in gap...

I mostly use the hammock underground in caves/catacombes etc. And have to use pittons. In this case, I often dont get a choice as the pillar/rock material dictates where the pittons can go.
    As a result, I often don't get the best nights sleep, after getting the ridge between my legs/under my calves/knees, causing either tingling heels, or numb lower legs.
    Here's an example...

I've trawled through the forums and have seen bridge hammocks be suggested, but I don't have the room, along with the rest of the gear in my bag, sometimes 4 days worth.
    I've also seen people suggest going to an 11ft hammock. The one I use, according to the website is only 8.5ft long so I'm guessing even going to a 10ft may help. Here's my current one: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hammock-id_8330395.html
    Hammocks aren't that easy to pick up here, so I'm a little stuck for choice.

Also space is of high importance, so if it's too big, it wont fit in the bag.

Any thoughts, suggesitons or advice?

Many thanks

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Structural ridgeline will help maintain the desired sag when connection points are less than ideal.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    8.5 feet is way too short. Though I prefer our cottage vendors I'm not sure how shipping works. If you have access to Amazon try looking up Wildhorn Outpost Hammock. It's $49 USD and comes in close to 11' long. It includes straps, cinch buckles and lightweight carabiners....ready to hang. Bought a matching set for my son and me just for fun and they are actually pretty decent. I've slept in mine about four or five times and been comfy.

Good idea to set a ridgeline though so you can get a consistent sag. Might be tough with your connection points but it will at least help guide you to the best choices among them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WildHorn-Ou...utpost+Hammock
    This one?

It's a lot of money but if it's going to be the answer, I'll give it a go if the ridgeline doesnt work.
    Thanks

Images
    Making a hammock is only slightly more challenging than falling off a log. If you don't want to buy a readymade (or material) from the USA, have a look at the ripstop nylon at extremtextil.de

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/R...sqm::1978.html
    3.5m of that will yield you an 11' hammock for just over 21 Euros.
    Tap me up if you need some amsteel or dyneema for a ridgeline.

A stuffsack of spare clothes under the knees will eliminate your calf ridge/hyperextension issues.

--
    Gadget

Images
    Personally, I would advise avoiding that. Not only is it expensive for what it is, I don't rate multi panel designs, the seams just add unnecessary discomfort (and at only 53" wide it's a bit narrow).

As I mentioned, DIY'ing is easy. At a bare minimum, all you need are a couple of side seams, you don't need end channels, just prussik on your suspension. That also gives you an easy way to fit narrow hangs, just slide the prussick to make a shorter hammock.
    If you are afraid of sewing (which would be a bit perverse in someone willing to delve beneath the earth), find a tame seamstress, look in the local rag. A couple of quid and they will run it up for you.

Alternatively, talk to Scotty Von Porkchop, he's a cottage maker, based in Durham. You'll find him here, or on the UK hammock forum. Feel free to drop in there and say hello too,
    http://www.hammockforum.co.uk/

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbags View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/WildHorn-Ou...utpost+Hammock
    This one?

It's a lot of money but if it's going to be the answer, I'll give it a go if the ridgeline doesnt work.
    Thanks
    Yes except that the "single" is less expensive and only one panel....at least the ones we have are one panel (camo color).

The advice on making your own is also a great idea/option. Not knowing what is available to you in the U.K. I was not able to suggest it. Sounds like you have a fellow countryman guiding you.

Best of luck!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Perhaps something like the 90° hammock from hammocktent.com. would work for you. You can hang in as little of a gap as 8.5 feet up to about 20 ft. You will not get calf ridge with this style of hammock. It's very light under 20oz with suspension and packs very small. Company is based in Europe so you should be able to get it easily as your in the UK I believe. They have their hammock on sale 50% off right.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I am sorry to hear you are having problems, and I hope you find a solution here, but, at least, hanging inside a cave looks pretty epic...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

The 90degreee hammock looks interesting.

Looks like I have some reading to do.

Thanks all- keep the suggestions coming

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast