Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modular UQ

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by damngoat View Post
    Interesting idea.

Why not just make a single layer synethic/down underquilt and have a pocket in it that you can add additional layers of insulation. I believe that the original Synthetic Yeti had a similar principle. Based upon your expected conditions you could adjust the number of layers of insulation before the trip.

DG
    That's basically the idea behind this, but I want to make it as flexible as possible, so I'm leaving all the layers removable. That is, when it's summer time, and i don't need much, i can just take the 1/2 length and full length for use as a top quilt.

Although if i'm going to go with all the layers being about an inch thick, I think i may make a purpose built separate TQ as well.

Images
    www.seattlefabrics.com has thinsulate for a pretty good price. I'm thinking about going with the 210 gram version ($9.50/yd 60" wide) of that. Any opinions on thinsulate for insulation in UQs?

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've got two under quilts made with climashield, winter(couple of thick layers) & summer(one layer of the really thin stuff). Both would be considered about a 2/3 size quilt, they go from about my neck to my feet (but I'm 5'1"). The winter one does NOT compress down well at all, I use it for car camping. The summer one compresses very well and I carry it backpacking on all trips with temps above 60 degrees. I've now used the summer one for this past year and it's held up very well to packing and unpacking.
    Your idea of adding more under you as it gets colder sounds intriging!! Do watch out for air gaps between the add-on quilts, you will need the quilt that's up against the bottom of your hammock, to be the cloestest to the bottom of your hammock. Making and then testing out your ideas should be quite fun!! And one thing I've found by being able to make my own stuff, you can change it any time you want. You see something working or not working, change it!!

I forgot to mention price differences between climashield & down quilts.... I started with the climashield under quilts, the summer one for me worked out great so it's a keeper. The winter heavy one did not and I then invested in down and made a winter down under quilt (testing it now). My climashield winter quilt was fairly cheap & easy to make but then I still ended up needing to make the down one. Climashield is cheaper and easier to work with than the down. If you do use down, you will need to think about baffles and how to sew them so that the down does not shift and leave the sides without insulation.
    Last edited by TinaLouise; 01-01-2010 at 10:53.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    jackyb88 - search the forum for early versions of the Warbonnet Yeti. He used a zippered silnylon shell to cover layers of synthetic insulation. In winter, you unzip, turn it inside out, quilt in another layer, turn it right-side out and zip it up. In summer, you just remove the layer. That'll save you the weight of the nylon.

If you made a full-length shell, you could have one full-length insulation layer and add a torso-sized layer or two for winter.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I like your idea very much!

I liked my Nested MacKAQ so much, I'm making a modular Insultex UQ. The design is not finalized, but it will be an outer summer layer, with additional layers inserted between the UQ and the hammock.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a great project, MacEntyre.

One thing I've always had an issue with when using full-length quilts (or even on my synthetic insulated hammocks) is getting a gap under the legs. The reason is that the synthetic tends to either sag, or be pulled in a straight line between the butt and heels...but the actual space between the butt and heels curves opposite the sag.

But if you have one full-length layer of insulation, and put a torso-length layer below that piece and another half-length layer on top of it to loft UP above the full-length layer...I think that would solve a lot of the problem. Good fit with synthetics and less of an impact of compression when you snug it to the hammock.

This could easily be built into a modular UQ, especially if you just have a zippered shell.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Interesting, Jeff... I'm making mine 52 inches long. I wonder what that will do.

BTW, I'm making it 52 inches long and 45 inches wide so that the IX UQ can be an IX Insert for a PerfectTrees Ptarmigan UQ! That's my backup plan...

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a good plan. No pics and it didn't happen...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Interesting, Jeff... I'm making mine 52 inches long. I wonder what that will do.

BTW, I'm making it 52 inches long and 45 inches wide so that the IX UQ can be an IX Insert for a PerfectTrees Ptarmigan UQ! That's my backup plan...

- MacEntyre

When you area ready, let me know and we can discuss how to make them hook up like they were made for each other...

sc
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12