Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

A thought about "Cold Butt Syndrome"

Im an old geezer of 65, and as all know, when you get older your metabolism slows down. Because of that I have to make adjustments to my diet, exercise, and gear to get a good nights rest. Ive been hanging for a long time. Ive gone through a lot of hammock equipment to make myself comfortable. Seems like just when I find the "perfect" system, after a year or two the ol bod says its not enough, "again". Now, I think I got it figured out, again, except...CBS. So Im thinking, "what might be the best insulating material to add to my long johns sleep gear?" Wool? Fleece? Poly? Closed cell foam under me just doesnt cut it. Your comments are more than welcomed

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Due to compression in the butt area, I think all of those would be ineffective if your butt is very cold.

CCF is all I can think of to help if you want a stationary option (would have to have a pocket, instead of a sew-on insulation).

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    I'm not sure what you have used, but I assume an under quilt is on the list. I'm switching to a full length for cold weather. Also, I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Mili...HKQGK62FJC4SED They're cheap and toasty warm. Very light and comfy to boot. Good luck.

PS. Sorry for the giant pic.

But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Do you use a sock? Controlling airflow around you helps a lot. My go-to winter setup has an insulated sock - sort a of a glorified peapod and I hang it inside a winter sock-tent. This was overkill some years ago (temps in the sock tent stayed well above freezing, sometimes in the 50s), but now ancient metabolism syndrome (which you are familiar with) makes me go-to this system more often. I use water bottles to warm my footbox and sometimes pull one up close to my butt. This coupled with a small ccf pad that I can place under me is enough to keep my butt warm, though I sleep better if the pad isn't needed. In addition to all this, I exercise before going to bed, usually by camping 100 yds uphill from my water source so a trip to get water for the night means a trek downhill and up again. Do all of this, plus, eat something. But you know all this stuff. Just arrange your routine so you have to do it. (Oh yeah, hang your food 200 yds or more downwind, so when you get your bedtime snack you warm up at the same time.)

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Wool! It does not compress and really holds the heat. I have heard we all carry our fears and mine is being wet and/or cold so in the winter months I have an old (pre 1970's) 100% wool blanket I carry with me. I place it directly under me inside the hammock. Yes, it shifts a bit but it still keeps my shoulders and butt warm because that is where most of the weight is on it.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    I always keep a small CCF sit pad with me. When push my insulation below it's comfort rating I put the sit pad under my butt/lower back. Rarely I get a little condensation.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

A thought about "Cold Butt Syndrome"

Try a zero degree under quilt and a zero degree top quilt--that's my guess--good luck! Yes maybe try wool clothing--if you overheat due to clothing your sweat can cause you to be chilled--if you get a little warm due to quilts--you can vent and push top quilt away until you cool off--less likely to have sweat soaked clothes and get cold-- hope that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 11-27-2016 at 19:06.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Try a zero degree under quilt and a zero degree top quilt--that's my guess--good luck!
    I agree 100%. You can spend so much time trying to find insulation that works or you can simply go for a low rated down quilt set and be done with it. As I age I find that I get chilled very easy so any temps forecast below 32° I'm taking my Zero rated quilt set.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Yup below 32* I too am taking the 0* quilts ...now If you have say a 20* quilt and get a 0* quilt consider the ability for the 0* to swallow the 20* to add extra warmth for deep cold ....say 10* and dropping. Is what I do and provides a awesome cushion against cold creep.
    I would not fuss with anything else unless you have done some serious backyard testing to know its performance.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Some good advise... thanks all

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast