WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

fabric weight limit for bridge hammocks

Hey guys,Im looking to make a grizz bridge hammock . Is there a chart somewhere with the weight limits of different fabrics? (I weigh 240 lbs) Thanks!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I'm not aware of any chart but I would say that the charts you see for gathered ends would apply to a bridge. I'm the same weight as you and I sleep in a SL bridge made of 1.6. I have another made of 2 oz Taffeta that I actually find more comfortable. For me, the less stretch, the better. You can always double up the lighter fabrics (2 layers of 1.0 robic for example).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBBB, Night Owl,WBRR
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex, WD13
    Insulation
    AHNR, LocoGP, AHRC
    Suspension
    adj. web, whoopie
    Maybe using dream hammock's fabric guide as reference might help for fabric. I think the bridge hammock's weight limit are more a result of sewn and stress areas than fabric. Gathered ends rely only on fabric.

Another one would be http://beardedhanger.com/pages/materials which has approx. weight limit listing
    “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Also take into consideration the spreader bats you will be using.

Hammock
    DIY Shortened Ariel Bridge
    Tarp
    Vented Half-Sock
    Insulation
    DIY synth UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slap straps
    Images
    I went with 2.4oz hexon for my Grizz inspired DIY bridge hammock, I know the fabric is rated to 400Ib. I'm only 150 but I had two people in it at one point with a combined weight of 320ish, and it wasn't the fabric i was worried about but the .655inch spreader bars looked like they where about at breaking point. So go with Dutch's .748 spreader bars the 2.4oz hexon might be overkill, though it is easy to sew and has more abrasion resistance than other hammocks I've owned.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench View Post
    I went with 2.4oz hexon for my Grizz inspired DIY bridge hammock, I know the fabric is rated to 400Ib. I'm only 150 but I had two people in it at one point with a combined weight of 320ish, and it wasn't the fabric i was worried about but the .655inch spreader bars looked like they where about at breaking point. So go with Dutch's .748 spreader bars the 2.4oz hexon might be overkill, though it is easy to sew and has more abrasion resistance than other hammocks I've owned.
    Was this Grizz's stock design? Or did you modify the width of the end caps or spreader bars?

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    If I wanted an absolutely bombproof lightweight GrizzBridge, I would make the hammock body out of 1.7 oz ROBIC XL from Ripstop by the Roll; a single layer of that fabric is rated safe for live loads of at least 400 pounds. I made a gathered end out of it, and it's as tough as nails while still having a nice feel.

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    If I wanted an absolutely bombproof lightweight GrizzBridge, I would make the hammock body out of 1.7 oz ROBIC XL from Ripstop by the Roll; a single layer of that fabric is rated safe for live loads of at least 400 pounds. I made a gathered end out of it, and it's as tough as nails while still having a nice feel.

I agree, about the best of both worlds.... I'm just curious about the spreaders. I'm making an Ariel for a friend, he's a big guy and wants a double layer. I'm using the 2.4 as well, but I was thinking the normal poles (.625) would be enough. I think he comes in somewhere in the low 300 range. The fabric will handle it.. just concerned about the poles...

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    I agree, about the best of both worlds.... I'm just curious about the spreaders. I'm making an Ariel for a friend, he's a big guy and wants a double layer. I'm using the 2.4 as well, but I was thinking the normal poles (.625) would be enough. I think he comes in somewhere in the low 300 range. The fabric will handle it.. just concerned about the poles...
    I would definitely go with .742" poles for the extra strength, and maybe even 1/8" Amsteel just to maintain your 1:5 safety margin. The weight penalties will be minimal.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    +1 on the .742 poles. I'm low 300s and only use 7/63 AS. No issues there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast