Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Best CF tarp for 2 people and ground dwelling?

As much as I hate the thought of going to ground, it is something that is very likely on my JMT trip this year. Right now I am leaning towards the HG winter palace because me and the lady like to hang our hammocks under the same tarp and I figure it would be much roomier. But when we do camp at those high elevations (only 1 night in our itinerary but might be more) I'm worried it might be a pain to ground pitch a bigger tarp. Also I have no experience ground pitching my tarp so this might not be an issue. I have read through a lot of threads on the HG winter palace but haven't seen anyone ground pitch it. I did watch one of Shugs videos where he had pitched his CF tarp on the ground but I believe that is a standard w/ doors.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    As someone who spends a lot of nights on the ground, I wouldn't prefer a hammock tarp for that purpose.

My top choice would be the Duplex or Hexamid Twin from Zpacks - I own several products from Zpacks, including a cuben shelter, and it's my favorite ground shelter. Great design and weight. If you want a more minimalist design, then MLD's Grace Duo would be my choice - simple, elegant, light.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    ZPacks Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    EE Rev. TQ/Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I also considered the ability to go to ground with my tarp when purchasing. I went with the ZPacks CF with doors for the coverage for one hanger and ability to sleep two on the ground with a bug net. I've only set up once on the ground but there was enough room for two underneath, and if you used the panel pullouts I think it would open up a bit more. I don't have any experience pitching ground shelters but I think with more practice you could dial it in pretty good!

Here are a few pictures of the ground pitch. The corners are staked right to the ground and pole height was about 39". You would have more space if you pitched things a bit flatter. The dimensions are nearly identical to the HG CF w/doors for comparison.
    IMG_20160211_131029.jpgIMG_20160211_131034.jpgIMG_20160211_131038.jpgIMG_20160211_131046.jpg

I made this simple excel schematic to get a sense of the space and coverage. Hex tarps aren't great on the ground, but the doors essentially make it a rectangle which works fine. Feel free to play around with this and see how the Winter Palace compares, I imagine it would feel very spacious on the ground!

Tarp Schematic.xlsx

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    As someone who spends a lot of nights on the ground, I wouldn't prefer a hammock tarp for that purpose.

My top choice would be the Duplex or Hexamid Twin from Zpacks - I own several products from Zpacks, including a cuben shelter, and it's my favorite ground shelter. Great design and weight. If you want a more minimalist design, then MLD's Grace Duo would be my choice - simple, elegant, light.
    Those are pretty sweet but 99.9% of my nights outdoors are in a hammock so I'm looking for something that could work on the ground in a pinch.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadJohn View Post
    I also considered the ability to go to ground with my tarp when purchasing. I went with the ZPacks CF with doors for the coverage for one hanger and ability to sleep two on the ground with a bug net. I've only set up once on the ground but there was enough room for two underneath, and if you used the panel pullouts I think it would open up a bit more. I don't have any experience pitching ground shelters but I think with more practice you could dial it in pretty good!

Here are a few pictures of the ground pitch. The corners are staked right to the ground and pole height was about 39". You would have more space if you pitched things a bit flatter. The dimensions are nearly identical to the HG CF w/doors for comparison.
    IMG_20160211_131029.jpgIMG_20160211_131034.jpgIMG_20160211_131038.jpgIMG_20160211_131046.jpg

I made this simple excel schematic to get a sense of the space and coverage. Hex tarps aren't great on the ground, but the doors essentially make it a rectangle which works fine. Feel free to play around with this and see how the Winter Palace compares, I imagine it would feel very spacious on the ground!

Tarp Schematic.xlsx
    That tarp looks pretty sweet! I'd be interested in seeing it setup with the bugnet

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadJohn View Post

Tarp Schematic.xlsx
    That's awesome.

• + New Posts