Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Question Tarp tensioners for 20d Sil/PU POLY tarp.

Hello everyone,

So I just placed an order for a 12 foot UGQ Winterdream 20d Sil/PU poly tarp.
    Are there any advantages to adding tarp tensioners? I know you should have them on nylon tarps to help keep the tarp tight during cool and or wet weather. But will they add any benefits or advantages with a polyester tarp?

Thanks and have a good night.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Tarp tensioners don't even help much with silnylon tarps, in my opinion, but many swear by them. It's a matter of choice, I guess.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post
    Are there any advantages to adding tarp tensioners? I know you should have them on nylon tarps to help keep the tarp tight during cool and or wet weather. But will they add any benefits or advantages with a polyester tarp?
    I find that they can act as a bit of cheap insurance for your tarp. If you've ever tripped on a tie out in the middle of the night,or had a drunk camper fall into your tarp as he/she was trying to make it to their own bed for the night, it can prevent ripping your tarp material or tearing out your Grosgrain loops. The little bit of "give" the provide can make the difference between annoyance or actual damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

You and I are running even pace. Same thoughts, same purchasing. However,

I will say that i currently have a HH silpoly and have never had any issues. I also bought the WD today like you, except mine is 13' because I plan on buying a WBRR. I plan on purchasing some Dutch bling as he has a sale going on as well. I plan on buying some Zing-it and attach Hookworms. Good price right now to go along with the WD purchase. Do I think I'll need it with the WD? Nope. But I will have it just in case, or for future usage? Checkout it out. Either way, from a noobs POV to go about it, (like myself) it'll serve a purpose somewhere down the road if not on the WD.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I use LineLoc 3 WSR Side Release Buckles and shot cord with a bowline on one end to larks head on to the line lock, I have a set of 4 I keep in my pack. I use it for tarp tension, side door stowage up or closed, extra lashing to pack for towel or clothing or poles. not bad for under an ounce for all 4.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Funny, I'm actually purchasing a handful of LineLocs as well. But I plan on using the HookWorms for their their tarp tensioning capabilities. HookWorms for the 4 corners, LineLocs for the rest of my tie outs. Does that sound reasonable? Sorry Minuteman, not trying to jack your thread.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Hi, Minuteman.
    I use a little six inch loop of stretchy 1/8" or so shock cord on each of the 6 ground tie-outs on my winter dream. Then connect the stakes or stake lines to them. Rob from backpacking adventures did that on one of his bling videos, and like FJRpilot mentioned, it's cheap insurance from sudden gusts of wind, or occasional wayward ankles.
    Best of luck with the new tarp. Don't forget to set it up in a purdy spot, and post a picture for us all.
    Regards, Ted.

"Mahwedge...
    A bwessed awangement...
    A dweam within a dweam...

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I have a Winter Dream on order, also and plan on using tensioners. As mentioned, they are a little insurance against tripping, but my main reason is the ease of use. I have watched the videos for Tarp Worms and all of the other ways to connect a tarp, and I have never seen a way to tighten that is as easy and fool proof as the tensioners I currently use on my silnylon tarp. I plan on making a new set for my Winter Dream. Here is the thread showing how to make the style I am talking about. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tarp-guy-lines
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Great information here, this was very helpful.
    Have a great and safe Thanksgiving.

• + New Posts