Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool DIY 1.7 oz ROBIC Widebody Hammock

OK... Not the first kid on the block to have a widebody 1.7 oz ROBIC hammock, but close...

This was a pretty standard single-layer sewn-channel gathered-end hammock build, but I used the brand new heavy-duty 68" wide ROBIC XL fabric from Ripstop by the Roll for the body, which has a load capacity of over 400 pounds!

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...-ripstop-nylon

My goal was to build a casual-use netless hammock that had the width and the strength for (relatively) comfortable couples hanging with my wife and myself in the same hammock on day trips.

Here was my result...

Type: Single-layer gathered-end integrated-cover camping hammock with four (4) side pull-out loops
    Materials: 1.7 oz ROBIC diamond-box nylon, 3/8" poly grosgrain ribbon, 7/64" Amsteel Blue, Mara 70 poly thread
    Dimensions: 132" long x 66" wide
    Weight: 400 grams (14 oz)

The build was simple. I used a full-width 144" single-layer hammock body blank from the 1.7 oz ROBIC XL diamond-box nylon, generously roll-hemmed the long edges, tacked on four 3/8" grosgrain side pull-out loops (one 24" off the midpoint of each long edge), and sewed 2" wide double-layer triple-stitched folded end channels on each end, with grosgrain peak bag loop tucked under each channel at the midpoint.

(On a cloudy-bright day like today, I was having a particularly difficult time achieving proper white balance for color fidelity in these photos; the ROBIC fabric is actually much darker and much greener than it appears here...)

The lay is pleasantly firm and supportive, and it feels very, very strong. (I have double-layer hammocks that won't support as much weight as this one... Great for two!) The smoother ("wrong side" ) inner surface of the ROBIC hammock body has a very nice feel against the skin.

The new fabric was very easy to sew and fed easily and consistently on my home machine. Compared to the feathery 1.0 oz ROBIC, this heavier-duty fabric inspires a lot of confidence when one occupies it -- no real worries about poking through it or tearing it under typical use.

I really like this fabric. Now I wish I had an excuse to use more of it! It would be incredible if eventually RBTR were able to make 1.7 oz ROBIC XL available for custom printing with their OutdoorINK service.

Future upgrades to this hammock may include retrofitting it with triangular hoods at the ends and zippers along the edge for a removable bug net and/or top cover.

Please feel free to inquire or comment below, and thanks for reading this report.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 11-22-2016 at 17:31.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Very nice.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Wide Asym
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks great. I like the color too, even if it isn't totally accurate. Well done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    Nice job!

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    Serac Single
    Tarp
    DIY Hammock Sock
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Biners and Webbing
    Images
    Looks pretty solid! Does anyone prefer a little bit of stretch?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat27 View Post
    Looks great. I like the color too, even if it isn't totally accurate. Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyst Död View Post
    Nice job!
    Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
    Looks pretty solid! Does anyone prefer a little bit of stretch?
    It is definitely some rugged material. If you prefer some stretch, RBTR offers the ROBIC XL in the same width with the same diamond-box ripstop grid in a stretchier 1.0 oz weight -- with about half the maximum load capacity of this stuff. Also, Dutch offers 1.6 oz Hexon Wide in a limited range of colors, having more stretch and a really nice hand.

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    That hexon is very nice material. I lucked out and the DO was the color I wanted. The single layer give the perfect flexibility that I need to comfortably sleep on my back. I've tried to fight the urge to sleep on my stomach. I could on my WB but wanted to break that habit especially when the cold is in the air on multiple nights.

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hexon .9
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/JacksUQ
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Great looking hammock! Just like everything you share with us! Questions, how is your ridgeline attached through the channel end? How do you feel about hanging with 2 people on a channel end vs a whipped end? Just for curiosities sake...

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Justapner View Post
    Great looking hammock! Just like everything you share with us! Questions, how is your ridgeline attached through the channel end? How do you feel about hanging with 2 people on a channel end vs a whipped end? Just for curiosities sake...
    Thank you for the kind words.

I run the eye splice at the end of the ridge line through the aperture of the gathered end and then loop it up over the continuous loop threaded through the sewn channel; often, I'll run it through and around the CL a second time, just to lock it off.

As 1.7 ROBIC si probably one of the strongest hammock body materials out there, I feel pretty good about approaching the maximum load capacity, which is at least 400 pounds, even with sewn channels. I watched my row spacing and my stitch length when I constructed the end channels, and each channel consists of a double layer of the ROBIC fabric, so it should have a fair amount of integrity.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Exclamation DISCLAIMER

This DIY project report was submitted to this forum for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Use any methods, ideas, or inspirations contained herein strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or harm that befalls others owing to information presented here, and I accept no responsibility for any errors the post contains.

I do not in any way advocate that others should do anything I have presented here; this thread is strictly DOCUMENTATION OF FACT. Readers beware.

There is a lot of great information on Hammock Forums available from members with much more substantial experience, better ideas, and better methods than mine. SEEK IT OUT.

Thank you for your attention.

• + New Posts