Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

MI >3rd Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang Feb 23-26, 2017 Pigeon River State Forest

The cabins are gone, but the memory lives on for all those who have experienced a Big Tree Hang at Green Timbers and our -13 below night in 2015. I thought I'd get the planning thread started for the 2017 3rd Annual Green Timbers Big Tree winter hang in the Pigeon River State Forest, located 7 miles east of Vanderbilt, MI.

The official date for this years event is Thursday, Feb. 23 through Sunday, Feb 26th. I know a number of us will be arriving Thursday morning, but last year a few rolled in the day before to beat the snow.

Our destination is the Green Timbers lower cabin site in the Pigeon River State Forest. The DNR finally got around to removing the cabins this fall but it will still be our base camp for the weekend. There are miles of trails to explore in the tract, so bring your snowshoes. The river never freezes, so water is available. Lots of hanging spots are located nearby. FYI, you might want to bring some extra long tree straps, there are some big trees! The 2 mile hike in takes less than an hour on a 2-track and is mostly flat. Hopefully we’ll have snow and not ice like last year when we left, so pulks & snowshoes may be needed.

We pride ourselves on setting new records for food consumption and we plan on upholding that tradition with some type of meal or bacon every hour or so. There will be a few cast iron frying pans, dutch ovens and big pots to purify water and help feed the crew. Just a short list of some of the food from past hangs: posada, jambalaya, pheasant/wild rice soup, hot apple cider, coffee, bacon steaks, venison, chili, etc....

Post what you're bringing when you respond to the thread, but be prepared to feed a group of 10 (2 or 3 main courses per meal). Last year we had around 20 attending and who knows how many people will attend this year. As we get closer to the event, I'll be posting who's bringing what etc. so everyone will have a feel for what else may be needed.

Part of what makes this a great weekend is the mix of people that attend. We had guys from HF and Bushcraft, since there is the overlap in the groups. Wood gathering is done as a group effort with guys cutting, hauling and processing, so an extra saw or ax or two (or 3) would help move things along. If you have any gear that may need a new home, bring it along for trading or sale.

There is no fee for parking, but the lot is not huge and it can fill up fast. Please, carpool if you can...Last year I made arrangements with 2 gas stations at the Vanderbilt exit to stage cars, so I will get in touch with them and post the details later. I'm also in touch with the manager of the Pigeon River State Forest to let him know of our plans and give them the heads up about possible car overflow. There is also another access road nearby that can be used for parking, but that's another story....

Getting there:
    From I-75, depart at exit 290 and head south for Vanderbilt. In town turn east (left) on Sturgeon Valley Road and follow it for 7 miles. The main entry to Green Timbers is the stonegate trailhead (on north side of road) on Sturgeon Valley Road, reached just before crossing the Sturgeon River. Location details (thank you Jim DuFresne) http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/member-profile/3/71/

Come on out and enjoy a weekend in the woods with some fellow Hangers and Bushcrafters. The price of admission is cheap: bring a pound a bacon and toss it in the pan! Looking forward to getting back north again to for the 2017 Green Timbers Big Tree Hang! Don't forget to follow this thread for updates.

Links to last 2 years of trip reports:
    Last edited by michigandave; 11-23-2016 at 16:00.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* + 2oz, Full
    Suspension
    DIY UCR, 1" Straps
    Can't wait! Count me in.

Have a new sled that I need to turn into a pulk as well as hoping it is cold enough for my Mukluks, courtesy of Dogger.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    "...early to beat the snow" What?!?! That's 100% of the fun...why would anyone do that!

I'm in unless someone in the family gets sick again. 3rd time's a charm!

I plan on using a pulk for the first time on this trip, so I'm anxious to try that out. This is supposed to be a good year for snow, so keep those fingers crossed.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

MI >3rd Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang Feb 23-26, 2017 Pigeon River State Forest

Hopefully I can stay all weekend this time. Will bring my usual; coffee, hot cocoa mix and apple cider mix.

Sent pm to Dirk about carpooling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Keeping the date on the calendar.

Hoping for lots of snow and cold, I know there will be lots of food and friends
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    edge
    Insulation
    DIY down -40 to 40
    I' m in might just come up on wednesday again. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
    Dogger

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogger View Post
    I' m in might just come up on wednesday again. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
    Dogger
    I was thinking the same thing
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Hell, I'll be there Monday afternoon!

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Hell, I'll be there Monday afternoon!

That could happen, the Huron hang is usually 16-18 of Feb, I wouldn't even head home.

2 weeks in snow camp WooHoo
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    That could happen, the Huron hang is usually 16-18 of Feb, I wouldn't even head home.

2 weeks in snow camp WooHoo
    TZ you bringing a hot tent? I remember you doing a video on one but wasn't sure if you used one regularly. In that case, 2 weeks would be fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast