Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cncd11 View Post
    As far as all that weather talk goes some are doing, who cares what it is. What would you do if you diddnt have the internet or tv to look up the weather? If you plan trips like this according to the weather reports, you would never go out. Its Michigan, go out have fun. Cause if weather is crappy, wait 10 min. You might be surprised.
    Like I already said, it's a big difference between backpacking gear and gear that I will put on my pulk. If it stays warm long enough and all the snow melts, then I know what to pack and how to pack. Good planning should not be confused with people complaining about the weather. It is what it is. I do have the Internet and TV, so I use it to my advantage .

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Way too much weather stress going on here. Come what may, the hang will be great. If we lose enough snow, Dirk and I might drive in from Hare lane for a lazy 1/2 mile trek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hey, now that's a good idea. We might need a shovel to get past the pile the snow plow will have left at the end of the road but it wouldn't be the first time this winter I shoveled my way into a camping site. I do feel better that I am going with someone who knows the alternate way in. That might be a nicer way to go from the looks of the pictures you took of the "logging road".

Been working on a surprise for Dave. Hope to have that done this weekend along with a nice big batch of tamales.

A surprise for Dave? Gee, it feels like my birthday. Hare road my be passable and would be a great alternate route it. I'm not stressing over the weather. It is what it is. It will be cold, there will be snow, and the snow that is there won't melt. Pulk, snowshoes, cleats and all the normal winter gear will be part of my kit. 0 degree or 20 degree quilts? I'm bringing the pulk no matter what, so I don't mind a little extra comfort gear adding weight and space. Let's just get out there and enjoy a long weekend in the snowy woods of northern Michigan.

Meanwhile, a quote from one of my favorite movies to bring some positive vibes to the group:

Mark6, cheer up about the weather...it will be all good

Last edited by michigandave; 02-15-2017 at 07:47.

Hammock
    11’ Dogger hammock
    Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    HG incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cncd11 View Post
    I am hanging on till last min, saying if i can make it or not. So far if i can i will be heading up friday night and hiking in then. So as far as meal planning goes, count me out. But if i do make it up, i will for sure pack in the stuff to make the Posole' and bacon of course.

As far as all that weather talk goes some are doing, who cares what it is. What would you do if you diddnt have the internet or tv to look up the weather? If you plan trips like this according to the weather reports, you would never go out. Its Michigan, go out have fun. Cause if weather is crappy, wait 10 min. You might be surprised.
    I read this first thing today before work and the thought of not having that famous posole, made me want to go back to bed and have someone tell me it isn't so. 😱

Hammock
    11’ Dogger hammock
    Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    HG incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    As far as snow we have plenty and it will not melt in a week. It won't take much to cover the tracks the loogers Made temps are still below freezing at night and a few warm days won't make a difference. I can't wait to get out there.

Update from my contact at the Pigeon River Forest: logging activity will end in a few days. They were back there pulling out the remainder of what they cut last year. They will look into pushing out the parking area but they said the loggers have been doing it, so we'll see what happens. The ranger seems to think that Hare is pretty packed down by snowmobiles. A 4wd with good clearance could get back there if we get a melt. But, proceed at your own risk. Getting stuck back there would be $$$. Look for the 2 posts and old gate near the old gravel pit and park off the road in the turnaround. Donk had a good description of how to find it in an earliest post. Time to start packing!
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-15-2017 at 09:54.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    I'm curious about the backup plan of following the power lines in off Hare Rd. This summer we were driving some of the Hare Rd 2 tracks but couldn't find it so we just went in off the main trail head. Can someone help pinpoint more where we would go park and where the power lines are? Thanks!greentimbers.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Hey Christo. The power lines run just under the yellow arrows here. The two red X are some possible parking areas off the two-track (Hare Trail). It will be more obvious when we get there to see the conditions. As long as you're not on the track, or too far off, you'll be ok. I think the legal limit is no more than 50' or something like that. I doubt you would want to go that far anyway.

Sorry the green shading makes it hard to read, but that shows the PUBLIC LAND, so you'll only want to park on that.

I assume you can get closer by driving further down Reynolds Rd, but conditions will dictate that. Could be a sloppy two-track by then.

Last edited by OneClick; 02-15-2017 at 13:23.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Here is Dave's post and map from last year:

Here is another option: less than 2 miles from the GT access is Pickerel Lake Road. It is plowed about .3 of a mile in and ends at the power line cut. Park on the left and follow the utility line west...it is about 2.6 miles from there to GT. Photo attached.
    gt-map.jpg

You will find the hills from Pickerel Lake Rd. to be pretty challenging, especially with a fully loaded pulk. If you are car pooling, I would suggest hiking in on Hare to where it meets the power line and drop your stuff off there while one goes back with the car to park it on Pickerel. Much flatter route and I think a bit shorter than the power line.
    Last edited by kg8jk; 02-16-2017 at 05:30.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post

The rumor is true, Squirrel Bait and I spent a couple of nights out there listening to the coyotes yip. We found the motivation to walk out to Hare lane and found the most direct route in for the tougher option. Hare lane isn't plowed... further east is Pickrel Lake road, which is plowed up to the power lines. Park in a way that still allows plow truck to turn around. Hike power line west up and down 3 or 4 large hills to Hare lane. Turn right (north) and follow approximately 100 yards to Reynolds lane marked by old green cattle gate. Follow Reynolds lane to end. Spot carbidnite post to find footpath. Follow footpath to the north bordering river. Path comes out into open meadow area head northwest to tree line and path that crosses creek (foot bridge) and continue on path, following the smell of wood smoke and bacon until you find the group. Simple, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bringing this back up for intel on alternative route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast