Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    My Hyperlight Backpacker weighs 26 oz. with tarp. According to the web site, all the Blackbirds weigh more than that when you add a tarp. Whether or not it's a significant amount is up to the individual. I'm not going to make any judgments of other people's values in that regard, but for me, weight is THE criterion. That's why when Hennessy offered a new tarp that doubles as a cape, I bought it and retired my beloved 10 oz. Equinox poncho. I was on the AT in the rain last weekend and the cape kept me and my pack dry and my pack was 8 0z lighter. (I brought a 2 oz. plastic poncho for emergencies like night time calls of nature).

In reading these posts, I wonder if we're talking about the same hammock. It's rained on virtually every hike I've been on with it but I've never seen a drop inside. I've had to break camp in a downpour. I pulled the snake skins over the hammock before striking the tarp. The hammock was completely dry when I unpacked it that evening. I feel no inclination whatsoever to install a zipper. I sit in the opening, I raise my feet and I'm in. That's good enough for me. I sleep well and I'm not stiff in the morning. The first time I got out of my Hyperlite, my sleeping bag liner fell on the ground. After that, I've paid attention and push things back from the opening. I don't find it all that bothersome.
    happy that you enjoy your HH. Keep using it!

as a former HH owner, I will say that it nearly ruined hammocking for me.
    The bottom entry was the deal breaker for me.
    You can find many people who hated the bottom entry on a HH, but I have yet to see anyone say that a top loader was the reason they switched hammocks.
    If I was going to bet which one someone would like or dislike over the long term, I'll bet top loader every time.

just my opinion...IF I was thru hiking, I would try both before I decided to live out of it for 6 months!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Actually, they do say how much their tarp weighs. 8.25 oz. That puts their hammock at 17.75 oz.

Furthermore, until proven otherwise, I'm going to accept both manufacturer's weight rating specifications as correct. They tell me that the single 1.1 isn't rated for the same weight as the Hyperlight. I think it's fair to average the weight of the 1.1 and the 1.7 to get a weight rating closer to the Hyperlight. I get 22.5 oz. or a little over a quarter a pound heavier than the Hyperlight.

I think you get a little extra luxury for a little extra weight. It's there if you want it.
    if all we are considering is weight, I'll suggest this setup
    -Warbonnet Traveler...1.7 single (since weight limit is being questioned) with whoopie slings, 12oz (I actually own this setup) $60
    -Warbonnet Travel Net...$65...7.4os (from website)
    -OES standard tarp...sil 10.2oz /spinn 8.2oz (depending on your available funds, we'll stick with sil) $95/$140

Total setup...(with sil) 23oz (ish) including tarp suspension...cost, $220 (net can be left at home when not needed for additional weight savings)

Stock HH Hyperlite set-up...26oz...cost $230

so, cheaper, lighter, higher weight rating, more versatile and a bigger tarp!
    (and for me, no bottom entry! )
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Actually, they do say how much their tarp weighs. 8.25 oz.
    Wow! I had no idea that little thing weighed so much. For the extremely limited coverage it provides that's a terrible weight. I'm actually very surprised considering how hard Tom works to keep things light. Even when customers beg for changes, he refuses on the grounds of UL.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 01-21-2010 at 10:59.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images

yer too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Wow! I had no idea that little thing weighed so much. .
    Yeah, I stagger under the load, but what can you do? All the equivalent BB setups weigh more and don't convert to capes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, I stagger under the load, but what can you do? All the equivalent BB setups weigh more and don't convert to capes.
    True, but I like a little variety in my gear and use my gear more specifically than broadly. My MacCat which offers more coverage comes in at an ounce less than the HH cape. My point wasn't to bicker over WB vs HH, we both already know which we like best individually and I don't suspect I could change your mind any easier than you could mine. My point was that I was surprised that HH would offer a heavier option with less protection for what is his flagship UL system. I would have thought he would have done better in that regard.

Besides, for you weight is THE criterion. Remember? (see the smiley face, I'm just bustin chops)
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images

preference

Actually, it's not a really matter of preference for me. It's more one of not having any complaints. When I tented, I had complaints.

My share of the tent weight was 16 oz. because my wife and I shared a 2 lb. tent. I moved up to a hammock (and more weight) because the ground wasn't very comfortable and there were times when a good tent site was hard to find -- a steep slope is a good example -- but hangs abounded. Pitching in mud wasn't much of a plus either.

For whatever reasons, the so-called shortcomings of the Hennessy aren't shortcomings for me and Hennessy has been very accommodating in my dealings with them. Since I don't have any complaints, I'll likely wear out my Hyperlight before I even consider changing brands.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    For whatever reasons, the so-called shortcomings of the Hennessy aren't shortcomings for me and Hennessy has been very accommodating in my dealings with them. Since I don't have any complaints, I'll likely wear out my Hyperlight before I even consider changing brands.
    Fair enough.
    I knew a fella in Florida that still used a manual push mower. Whenever someone would ask him why he'd just say "My grass looks as good as my neighbor's and he spends a lot more fixing his mower". He had what worked for him and that was all that mattered. If it ain't broke.....
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    S
    Tarp
    S
    Insulation
    Not Enough
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    If I camped with my wife and we used a 2 lb tent my share would be 32 oz. If it was a 4 lb tent it would be 64 oz.

Images
    Actually, they do say how much their tarp weighs. 8.25 oz. That puts their hammock at 17.75 oz.

Furthermore, until proven otherwise, I'm going to accept both manufacturer's weight rating specifications as correct. They tell me that the single 1.1 isn't rated for the same weight as the Hyperlight. I think it's fair to average the weight of the 1.1 and the 1.7 to get a weight rating closer to the Hyperlight. I get 22.5 oz. or a little over a quarter a pound heavier than the Hyperlight.

I think you get a little extra luxury for a little extra weight. It's there if you want it.

both the 1.1bb and the hyperlight are made of the same material (30D) so they are equivalent. weight ratings are nothing more than a safe guess by the manufactuer, there are no set standards.

the hh specs give a total weight of 26oz. with a hammock only weight of 17.75oz. that's about 2 oz less than the sl1.1 bb which is a shade under 20oz. (i had a customer weigh them side by side and tell me they were within an oz of eachother, i didn't compare them directly)

however, the hh comes with 3.5' tree straps while the bb comes with 5.5' straps. that's an oz worth of longer webbing with the bb. for the remaining oz you get side entry with partially removable net, storage shelf and a hammock that will handle a taller person (more head and foot room)
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 01-22-2010 at 00:16.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234