Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

hennesy for thru hike??? or warbonnet???

hey all, i am preparing for a thru hike in april this year going nobo on AT. i am now seriously considering a hammock but had a few questions. a few reviews i saw mentioned

#1 in a hennesy there is no foot box and you may get foot cramps.

#2 The bottom entry gets really old and you'll wish you had top.

#3 You cant use it as a lounger as nicely as other hammocks because the guyline gets in the way

#4 The storage area is much more useful in the warbonnet?

I like the ease of set up. some of the videos i saw with the snake skins make it look soooo easy. i like this alot.

The warbonnet looks nice but the website is lacking and doesnt give me a whole lot of info or pics. no weights of tarps, and minimal descriptions

would appreciate you thoughts

I am 230-240 lbs 5'8 side sleeper and like to be a bit chilly when i sleep

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I used an HH on my thru. I can assure you you will get foot cramps no matter what shelter you have. The BB and an HH are actually a pretty close match. And the Black bishop on the BB is as nice as snake skins IMO. I think the BB is easier to use as a lounger B/C you can zip open the bugnet. I honestly don't use any hammock for that feature very much. The BB is larger has a more roomier feel. The storage shelf is real nice. The bottom entry doesn't get old but the novelty wears off and you wish you could reach outside of your hammock. Both brands are an excellent chioce. I tend to use my BB a little more these days B/B I like the shelf and the roominess. I think the BB is a little heavier but that depends on the model somewhat.

Have a great time on your thru and remember to stop at the Home Place in Catawba, VA.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have two HHs and a Blackbird. I'd recommend the Blackbird...it's a more thought out design b/c the footbox lets you lay flatter, the side zip is much more convenient than the bottom entry, you get a choice of suspension methods, Brandon makes the products himself rather than outsourcing to cheap labor in China, you can still put snakeskins on a Blackbird, etc. Although I like the Blackbishop bag better than skins now...skins are convenient for the tarp, though.

Hennessy is a good starter kit, but lots of former HH users are upgrading to Blackbirds, JRB's Bridge hammocks, and other models.

Just my opinions...you'll find something that works for you.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I also would choose the BlackBird over a HH for a long hike.

However...A double-ended stuffsack isn't a Bishop Bag.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    True. Here's a pic of the first Blackbishop Sack
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesHotSprings.html

After that a few variations came about, like netting on the side to stuff the supports into, drawstrings on both ends, etc.

I don't really see the need for drawstrings on the foot end as the WBBB has...the hole only needs to be big enough for the support to pass thru. But it's still a better idea than snakeskins, IMO.

I think Warbonnet should offer bigger sacks, though, so you can stuff your hammock, TQ and UQ into one stuffsack, like this:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...ishopSack.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    ...the hole only needs to be big enough for the support to pass thru. But it's still a better idea than snakeskins, IMO.

I think Warbonnet should offer bigger sacks, though, so you can stuff your hammock, TQ and UQ into one stuffsack...
    I agree that it's better than snakeskins.

I think most of the gear makers on the forum should offer real Bishop Bags as an option. I really dislike the double-closure sacks.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker A-Sym. Great hammock. The HH comes as a package and includes a tarp along with the hammock. The weight HH publishes is for the hammock, tarp and suspension. I never had a problem with the bottom entry nor with using the hammock as a seat. I am 5'8" and 150 lb.

I also have a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 with double bottom. It is beautiful, more convenient with the side zip, more spacious, love the shelf, and hand crafted in Colorado. However, if you get a BB you will have to buy a tarp for it, as it does not come with one. (That is not all bad, because the tarp that comes with the HH is tiny. It works pretty well as long as you only camp in areas where the rain falls straight down. Side blown rain is a different story.) The BB with tarp Is roughly comparable in weight with a similar sized HH depending on the tarp.

I like them both, but I like the BB more. As others have noted, you have two good choices.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Another Blackbird recommendation. The tie-out positions on the Hennessys just aren't in a good place IMO. The Blackbird offers me a much more comfortable stretch-out position, which you'll very quickly find is a desirable thing on the AT.

I had an earlier model Warbonnet on my thru in 08. It didn't have the shelf, but I can sure imagine how convenient that would have been on sooooo many nights. For that alone, I'd recommend the Blackbird for a thru.
    Trust nobody!

if im leaving in late march or early april, will i need to carry BOTH an underquilt and a top quilt or bag? this seems very bulky and heavy to me. i am planning on carrying a ula circuit, and dont know if i could swing the bulk of a bottom and top quilt and hammock. and it sure is expensive!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

Yeah, they can be bulky. However, there are going to be plenty of cold nights all the way thru May. I saw lots of folks sending home cold weather gear at the first hint of Spring. They usually regretted it within a week. You could carry a pad in lieu of an underquilt, but talk about 'bulk'!

A Yeti underquilt is a good option, especially for long distance hikers where every gram and cubic inch matter. I can get my winter set-up in my Ohm with a few days of food. Now it makes packing my Circuit easy as pie. It'll all fit, no worries.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast