1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I own both the Hennessey and the Blackbird. I also did a review on both because I felt there were some features with the Hennessey that I found annoying enough to look for another hammock.

I put both the Hennessey Hammock and the Blackbird side by side on a few tests. Some flaws noted in my test after I performed it is that the price of the Hennessey includes a fly where the price of the Blackbird does not and that is a significant factor in my comparison which I didnt realize. Also the audio is kinda weak in some shots as I wasnt talking loud enough so you will have to jack your volume up.

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg4dumdEHAU

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a743tDJaBnQ

Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=113yjebpHQI

Part 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Kf-wiB2Jo

Raul

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I also would choose the BlackBird over a HH for a long hike.

However...A double-ended stuffsack isn't a Bishop Bag.

AS, with a double ended stuffsac, you can decide which way you want to use it. if you want to use it like a regular stuffsac you can tie one end closed, if you like using it as a bishop sac you can tie one end closed leaving a small hole and have a permanent bishop sac. i don't know if this is true or not, but it seems to me like making the fixed hole this way and tying it off might be a more durable "hole" than a button hole is. either way, it can easily be changed to a permanent bishop sac or regular stuffsac with a knot and a pair of scissors.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrecon2 View Post

The warbonnet looks nice but the website is lacking and doesnt give me a whole lot of info or pics. no weights of tarps, and minimal descriptions

would appreciate you thoughts

I am 230-240 lbs 5'8 side sleeper and like to be a bit chilly when i sleep

did you check out the 3 setup videos at the bottom of the homepage? the blackbird setup video gives a pretty good demo of the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I own them both, have used them both with wonderful results. I prefer the warbonnet for better comfort (it's worth the extra weight), since that's what really matters to me. I could add a zipper, change the suspension, or use a different tarp with my HH, but it still wouldn't be as comfortable as my BB. I'll likely sell my HH this year to help pay for new golf clubs!

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    jbrecon2... im a very happy HH user (specially since the zipper modification), but i consider a blackbird to have more pros than cons compared to my HH.
    If its worth anything, I vote for a warbonnet blackbird.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 12-29-2009 at 23:21.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    hey jbrecon2,

if you haven't bought a hammock yet, get a Blackbird, my brother just got one, and Im so jealous, its gonna cost me $160..
    here is my story in a nutshell. Before I found HF..
    I got a HHasymexped.
    $139 i think. 2lbs 12 oz including tarp (have to be really creative to stay dry under this tarp)
    then started looking around.. and getting claustrophobic at the same time..
    so got the 2QZQ mod which is absolutely mandatory with a HH.. 75 bucks for shipping, and tipping ZQ (I highly recommend tip, must tip the taylor, she loves it, its polite) then started comparing weight for my thru hike on the pct, looking to lighten my load.. I love my HH, (actually sleep in it every night) but now Im tired of the slit that doesn't need to be there, just a big thick line interfering with my sleep..

the WBBB 1.1 single is 17 oz.
    the HHexped with no tarp is about 31 oz.. almost a pound difference.. add some handy suspension, and forget about it.. if you count oz's like me.. save your $$ and get the right thing first WBBB.. even if you need a sturdier hammock for your size, you will save weight and $$ in the long run, and come out with a nicer hammock (cause you don't have a slit down the middle that you never use due to your zipper mods).. thats my opinion for what its worth..
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    extra weight with a BB???
    my single layer BB weighs as much or as little as my retired HH Lite Racer (a small rip after many many nights in it).
    OK, I subbed out the OEM suspension for whoopies..so weight is not a factor.
    Price? I priced the replacement to the light racer and it's 239 on the HH site, the WB single 1.7 was closer to 170...so that's 60 I can put on a tarp more fitting to my desires. Not to slam the OEM HH tarp-it will do the job, I just like more real estate.
    So weight, price, features the WB wins hands down and it's American made-not shipped off to a sweat shop in China.
    HH has had its day.
    I've got two of the WBs and am hoping he decides to make a netless BlackBird, then I'll add the third.
    Me a fan of Warbonnet gear-absolutely. When you closely examine the Yeti you will be amazed at the design genius and all the details. Plus when a competing company slams other makers it makes me want to support the garage industry.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    extra weight with a BB???
    My Hyperlight Backpacker weighs 26 oz. with tarp. According to the web site, all the Blackbirds weigh more than that when you add a tarp. Whether or not it's a significant amount is up to the individual. I'm not going to make any judgments of other people's values in that regard, but for me, weight is THE criterion. That's why when Hennessy offered a new tarp that doubles as a cape, I bought it and retired my beloved 10 oz. Equinox poncho. I was on the AT in the rain last weekend and the cape kept me and my pack dry and my pack was 8 0z lighter. (I brought a 2 oz. plastic poncho for emergencies like night time calls of nature).

In reading these posts, I wonder if we're talking about the same hammock. It's rained on virtually every hike I've been on with it but I've never seen a drop inside. I've had to break camp in a downpour. I pulled the snake skins over the hammock before striking the tarp. The hammock was completely dry when I unpacked it that evening. I feel no inclination whatsoever to install a zipper. I sit in the opening, I raise my feet and I'm in. That's good enough for me. I sleep well and I'm not stiff in the morning. The first time I got out of my Hyperlite, my sleeping bag liner fell on the ground. After that, I've paid attention and push things back from the opening. I don't find it all that bothersome.

Images
    the bb single 1.1 (equivalent of the hyperlight) is 20oz. the hh site doesn't say what that tarp weighs, but i believe the 2 hammocks are within an oz of eachother.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the bb single 1.1 (equivalent of the hyperlight) is 20oz. the hh site doesn't say what that tarp weighs, but i believe the 2 hammocks are within an oz of eachother.
    Actually, they do say how much their tarp weighs. 8.25 oz. That puts their hammock at 17.75 oz.

Furthermore, until proven otherwise, I'm going to accept both manufacturer's weight rating specifications as correct. They tell me that the single 1.1 isn't rated for the same weight as the Hyperlight. I think it's fair to average the weight of the 1.1 and the 1.7 to get a weight rating closer to the Hyperlight. I get 22.5 oz. or a little over a quarter a pound heavier than the Hyperlight.

I think you get a little extra luxury for a little extra weight. It's there if you want it.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 01-21-2010 at 08:36. Reason: corrected my math

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast