11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies

11ft or 12ft HG CF Palace Tarp?

I have researched this and still really not come upon a definitive answer.

I like space and I don't really want the tarp too close to my hammock. I am leaning towards the 12ft HG tarp. I understand that 12ft will give me less options with narrower-spaced trees but is this really a huge issue.

Also, is it possible to use this tarp on the ground with hiking poles to make a ground tent (if absolutely necessary)?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've had an 11 ft. HG Winter Palace for about four years now, and frankly, I don't understand why people want a 12 ft. version (unless they have a 12 ft. hammock). I've never gotten wet, no matter how bad the weather. I think it's a matter of people thinking that if 11 ft. is good, 12 ft. is better, but I personally can't understand that rationale.

A lot of people apparently think like you, because HG started offering 12 ft. versions of all their CF tarps a couple of years ago.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've had an 11 ft. HG Winter Palace for about four years now, and frankly, I don't understand why people want a 12 ft. version (unless they have a 12 ft. hammock). I've never gotten wet, no matter how bad the weather. I think it's a matter of people thinking that if 11 ft. is good, 12 ft. is better, but I personally can't understand that rationale.

A lot of people apparently think like you, because HG started offering 12 ft. versions of all their CF tarps a couple of years ago.
    So it's probably a good rule of thumb that with a four-season tarp the length of the hammock would be a good indicator of an appropriate length of tarp. 11ft hammock, 11 ft tarp etc.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

You are correct. Most people tend to refer to it as a "security policy". I have a 12ft tarp but I bought it used and was unaware of the RL length. I haven't used an 11ft tarp but I can't imagine why I would like it any better or what I stand to gain by reducing it by 12 inches. If I bought a tarp brand new I would probably opt for a 11ft RL to save money but I'm very happy with what I currently have.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just seems like more weight for very little additional peace of mind to me, but HYOH!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Your profile lists a HG Winter Palace. Which length do you have?

Set up your 11' tarp and 11' hammock with the ridgelines close to each other and you'll see there is plenty of coverage on the ends of the hammock.

Now set them up with the tarp raised up higher (1-2') and you'll notice that the hammock ends are closer to the edge of the tarp. (Because of the angle between the ground tie outs and the ridgeline tie outs).

The higher you set the tarp, the longer the ridgeline needs to be, to allow for the same coverage. Along with that, the higher you set the tarp, the more you lose the side coverage. So its a compromise between the two.

I see a lot of people set their tarp low enough for an 11' tarp to work with their 11' hammocks, and still get plenty of side coverage when needed.

Me personally, I prefer to be able to fully stand up under my tarp, so I modded my 12' HG WP by making it wider. That gives me end coverage and side coverage. I also added extra ridgeline tie outs 6" from each end, to accomodate the need to hang between closer tress. This gives me 11', 11'-6", and 12' ridgeline options.

If you are having a hard time deciding between an 11' and 12' tarp, ask HG to make you an 11'-6" tarp.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    If I were hanging single I'd stick with an 11 footer. Fortunately, even when hanging low I can still walk under it Hanging double with a spreader bar, I much prefer 12'. Much as Levi above, my DYI winter tarp has 11' and 12' rl tie-outs - it's nice to have the option when needed.

I recently inquired to HG about making a 12' with extra rl tie-outs at 6" in from each end. I don't recall the exact wording, but they recommended against it, something about cf behaving differently than silpoly/nylon. Apparently I'd have to add it myself as Levi did.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    Your profile lists a HG Winter Palace. Which length do you have?

Set up your 11' tarp and 11' hammock with the ridgelines close to each other and you'll see there is plenty of coverage on the ends of the hammock.

Now set them up with the tarp raised up higher (1-2') and you'll notice that the hammock ends are closer to the edge of the tarp. (Because of the angle between the ground tie outs and the ridgeline tie outs).

The higher you set the tarp, the longer the ridgeline needs to be, to allow for the same coverage. Along with that, the higher you set the tarp, the more you lose the side coverage. So its a compromise between the two.

I see a lot of people set their tarp low enough for an 11' tarp to work with their 11' hammocks, and still get plenty of side coverage when needed.

Me personally, I prefer to be able to fully stand up under my tarp, so I modded my 12' HG WP by making it wider. That gives me end coverage and side coverage. I also added extra ridgeline tie outs 6" from each end, to accomodate the need to hang between closer tress. This gives me 11', 11'-6", and 12' ridgeline options.

If you are having a hard time deciding between an 11' and 12' tarp, ask HG to make you an 11'-6" tarp.
    I don't own the WP yet...buying on Black Friday during their sale but I knew it was what I was GOING to be using so I listed it as my tarp choice. The sale is also the reason I can't ask for a custom length.

It sounds like the 11ft is the way to go for me as a lone-hanger. Hopefully I can get this stuff figured out on my own (with Shug's videos of course) since there are NO, not one single group hang, or lone hammocker, within 150 miles of me...at least not that I can find. Thanks for the input everyone.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    One more thought. Pretty sure we're all assuming that your buying cf for backpacking and not necessarily car camping. While a 12' cf is still very light, it will take up more pack real-estate. Generally speaking, cf is not quite as pack friendly (compressible?) as one of the sil fabrics. So if you're already tight on pack space...

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    One more thought. Pretty sure we're all assuming that your buying cf for backpacking and not necessarily car camping. While a 12' cf is still very light, it will take up more pack real-estate. Generally speaking, cf is not quite as pack friendly (compressible?) as one of the sil fabrics. So if you're already tight on pack space...
    Yes, for backpacking and I try to keep my pack as light and compact as possible due to my size. Great point. Thank you. With this tarp and the quilts I have on order from LLG I have actually managed to come in at around the same weight of my tent/bag-quilt/sleeping pad combo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast