Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    As an aside, I am planning to do a wilderness first aid course at the end of March. The topic comes up every so often so I figured I'd put it out there in case anyone else was thinking about it.

http://irescuetraining.com/booking.php

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ JRB UQ, PAD
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Seeking for water filter system/solution recommendation, aside from your offer to filter water for me

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnieB View Post
    Seeking for water filter system/solution recommendation, aside from your offer to filter water for me
    Hi ConnieB,

A couple (most?) of us have gravity filters. No fuss, no muss, no pumping. I originally had the Katadyn Base Camp Pro 10L Filter but it clogged almost immediately under normal use. On the advice of a hippie-type MEC staff member I opted for the MSR AUTOFLOW GRAVITY FILTER and have been very pleased.

On a side note, I also have the expensive Katadyn Pocket Water Filter and it's a bombproof solution; it just requires pumping so I mostly leave it at home these days.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If you order a sawyer squeeze from the states (not the sawyer mini - the squeeze - much better flow rate), you can screw it to the top of a smart water bottle and it has a drinking valve on the other end so you can just fill up your water bottle from the canoe as you're paddling and then screw the filter back on and drink. very convenient for long paddles.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    If you order a sawyer squeeze from the states (not the sawyer mini - the squeeze - much better flow rate)...
    Just to muddy the water, I prefer the Sawyer mini to the Squeeze. Also the old "standard" pop/soda/water bottle (1 & 2 litre and even some smaller ones).

Either Sawyer combines well with existing bladders to make a gravity filter. I find the mini just as fast as my squeeze, but I prime the filter with a backflush before every use (I find it clears the air bubbles out of the filter). Last time I checked, Amazon.ca had the mini (shipped from the US), and Dutchwares had them too.

As a gravity filter, the Sawyer looks a little "kludgy", at least mine does as I have a Platy Big zip as a dirty bag, a Source Clean bag, and various coloured hoses as opposed to your all-in-one filter system. FYI, my brother has the MSR Autoflow, and the seam for the clear viewing port started to leak mid trip (I think he had it for 4 yrs). It still worked the rest of the trip, and MEC replaced it, but I was glad I brought my mini.

Even though the bag leaked, I like the large volume of the Autoflow for groups. I do prefer the Sawyer syringe as a backflush for the MSR (any 60ml syringe will work) as opposed to their back flow method.

If you want a pump filter, I have a MSR Waterworks pump with ceramic element, aka MiStRess Waterworks, aka "The" MiStRess, circa 1990... She's large, and super heavy but doesn't like to be described as such (I know I don't). She will filter water, but is awonderful partner for pec/bicep/tricep endurance training while practicing Yoga Squats by the lakefront - in fact, it is her specialty.

However, I will sever my relationship with "The MiStRess" for the mere sum of $666, as we have what feels like several hundred grueling pump-hours of bonding sentimentality together.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Two and a half months to go!!!!

I wanted to bump these two hangs (week long tour ending with a long weekend chill) to see what the interest is like.

I'd also like to start getting a group gearlist and maybe even a group menu prepped as well, so I'll throw together a Google Sheet and share it amongst those who ask. It'd be sensible to share, but I always think that each canoe should be more or less self contained, just in case.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Images
    I’m in for the long haul.

I’ll be self contained; small wood/alcohol stove for dehydrated meals, solo canoe, small axe, small saw.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet View Post
    I’m in for the long haul.

I’ll be self contained; small wood/alcohol stove for dehydrated meals, solo canoe, small axe, small saw.
    Best news I've heard all day!

I'm looking forward to some early starts, some long miles, some new vistas and what might turn out to be a great and well-earned rendezvous at the other end!

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol Winterlight
    Suspension
    Amok cinch buckles
    Don't think this will be a major issue for us but good to know.
    https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c04e7c...08-125522.png?

Realized the text in the attachment is unreadable, copied below.

"Just noticed on the Ontario Parks reservation system that Lavieille is completely unbookable now. Last year Dickson was closed (blue/green algae) and Lavieille was partially unavailable because Hardy's Bay was also affected by the algae (meaning even if nobody had a booking on Lavieille for that night, you'd still only see 8/12 sites available) but now it's closed entirely. Anyone know if the blue/green algae has completely engulfed Lavieille now as well, or if perhaps the park is just playing it safe until they see what Spring brings?"
    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KeeWayKeno; 03-08-2017 at 14:03. Reason: Unreadable text

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeWayKeno View Post
    Don't think this will be a major issue for us but good to know.
    https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c04e7c...08-125522.png?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Hmmm...

I just got off the phone with the Park Office and they indicated that Lavielle's Hardy Bay and the entire Dickson Lake were closed to camping last year due to a significant algae bloom that made the water unsafe. They did allow canoeists to paddle though the lakes however. They'll be flying in just after ice out to do their water quality tests and will post the result on the FOAP website.

What does that mean for us? If, by some miracle, we stick to schedule, then we'll be camping at the north end of Lavielle, which might be open. unfortunately Dickson's likely out as a staging campsite before the long portage, but that's fine. We'll just have to wait and see and adjust accordingly.

Good point though. Troubling about the algae as well. C'est la vie.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast