Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I get up really early on my solo trips. Most days I'm on the water by 10:00.

Actually the route up to cedar doesn't bother me too much, it's those long portage days on the way back.

I'm thinking Canoe-->Erables (or Nippising)-->Cedar -->Lavieille-->Opeongo-->Louisa-->Smoke. 10-12 days

Either that or a slower trip Cedar-Opeongo loop.

I haven't been on HF a lot recently but I just saw this trip and I'm thinking about it. I'm a university student so I'll have the time off (if you want a younger guy to hang around), and I should be able to keep up with the pace. I'll be watching this thread!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    I haven't been on HF a lot recently but I just saw this trip and I'm thinking about it. I'm a university student so I'll have the time off (if you want a younger guy to hang around), and I should be able to keep up with the pace. I'll be watching this thread!
    Excellent! Hopefully you can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    I get up really early on my solo trips. Most days I'm on the water by 10:00.

Actually the route up to cedar doesn't bother me too much, it's those long portage days on the way back.

I'm thinking Canoe-->Erables (or Nippising)-->Cedar -->Lavieille-->Opeongo-->Louisa-->Smoke. 10-12 days

Either that or a slower trip Cedar-Opeongo loop.
    Hey Keg, that sounds like a lovely trip although that Opeongo > Louisa leg is a lot longer/tougher than it sounds.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    This sounds like an amazing trip. I know I wouldn't be physically able to do that this year. Maybe look into joining Bubba and friends for a few days. I still don't own a canoe and like Ted said I'm not looking to do double kayak portaging.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    I'm glad there still those that see the value in a big trip, just not this year for me. (for those that have not read The Complete Wilderness Paddler by James Davidson and John Rugge it's worth a read - it's old - but I find it an easy read, informative, and hilarious) I'm considering the Bubba version if it comes together. may have a canoe by then (still sad about leaving mine out west when I move back).
    Used to be a regular in Algonquin many moons ago, I miss it.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol Winterlight
    Suspension
    Amok cinch buckles
    Screenshot_20170120-210959.jpg
    Interestingly, tried to book the first leg of this trip today (online, really just to see what the 2017 backcountry fees will be) only to have a computer reject the booking telling me it was too far. That's it, the gauntlet is down.

Now thinking 'single carry' demands a lightweight menu ... not exactly my forte. Might need to forgo some meat in favour of ConnieB's seaweed snacks (ok, so maybe ONE Portuguese tart).
    Last edited by KeeWayKeno; 01-21-2017 at 00:28. Reason: Typo

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20o
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Have the dates for this trip been confirmed and how many have committed to go? I'm considering joining if there is room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by freesince83 View Post
    Have the dates for this trip been confirmed and how many have committed to go? I'm considering joining if there is room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dates are May 14/15 start through till the 22. I have booked the time off work. At this point it is myself and the Tracey aka THE BOSS. The 13th is my birthday so likely we will travel up a day early and camp an extra night. Also gives us the 8 day rental needed to get the 25% discount from Algonquin outfitters.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I just wanted to remind everyone interested that this route might turn out to be fairly taxing trip with back-to-back 30+ Kilometer days.

If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, then maybe the no-portage Opeongo Rendevous portion of the trip would be a better option.

Either way, spring in Algonquin. Does it get any better?
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeWayKeno View Post
    Screenshot_20170120-210959.jpg
    Interestingly, tried to book the first leg of this trip today (online, really just to see what the 2017 backcountry fees will be) only to have a computer reject the booking telling me it was too far. That's it, the gauntlet is down....
    I've found that the online booking can be pretty random with some days being fine but other similar days being deemed as too far. For my big trip last summer it told me that one of my 4-5 hour days was too much but allowed me to book a 7+ hour day for another section. But it's all fixed when you book over the phone.

p.s. After playing around, there is something strange about how they account for portages (They don't?). They were letting me book a section with 17 K of paddling and 11 K of portages along low maintenance trails but not a 16 K paddling, 1.5 K portage route.
    Last edited by keg; 02-06-2017 at 20:07.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast