Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 XLC, double
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Nylon straps
    My money is you'll be able to do it, Chard! You are definitely going into this with your eyes open, and that's half the battle.

Next summer, I'm going on 5 day trip on a long river. Few, if any, portages. Still, I'm going to my best to get into better shape.

I'd be interested to read your planned regimen if you ever get the time to post it. Or do you know of a decent training plan online anywhere? Failing that, how about a sure fire way for me to drop 30 lbs?!?!

Broadwater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadwater View Post
    My money is you'll be able to do it, Chard! You are definitely going into this with your eyes open, and that's half the battle.

Next summer, I'm going on 5 day trip on a long river. Few, if any, portages. Still, I'm going to my best to get into better shape.

I'd be interested to read your planned regimen if you ever get the time to post it. Or do you know of a decent training plan online anywhere? Failing that, how about a sure fire way for me to drop 30 lbs?!?!

Broadwater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lift heavy things...a lot!

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadwater View Post

Broadwater
    Last time I did the Canoe-Cedar run, I actually went to the gym a few months before and did a basic workout, with a little extra attention to the core, shoulders and cardio. I'm a rookie when it comes to hitting the gym, but I tried my best.

One unusual thing I did do was get a fixed weight barbell (I used 70-80 lb) and do several sets of 20 "canoe lifts": resting one end of the barbell upright on my bent knee, flicking it up onto my shoulders as if it was a canoe, pausing, and then carefully bringing it back down to the other knee. All the same motions but with twice the weight of my canoe. Got a few weird looks, but not from anyone who's ever portaged a canoe. I'm sure it helped.

In recent years I've found that long stretches of hard paddling can aggravate my upper forearm almost like tennis elbow, so stretching, wrist curls and bicep curls just might be the answer for that.

Finally I enjoy walking, lots of brisk walking. One the weekends I'll try to take a progressively heavier pack for a long hike. There's a few good up and down mountain biking trails in the Don Valley here in Toronto on the west side between Leaside and the Science Centre. Doing them with a full pack wouldn't be fun.

Ultimately I think simply getting into all around "good shape" by dropping 20+ pounds (possibly significantly more) would do more for me than a thousand "canoe lifts". Anyone who knows me can attest to the opportunity I have to lose "significantly more".
    Last edited by Chard; 11-29-2016 at 14:55.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    ...Ultimately I think simply getting into all around "good shape" by dropping 20+ pounds (possibly significantly more) would do more for me than a thousand "canoe lifts".
    Hmmm, am I being lazy when I think the easiest way to drop 20+ pounds it to throw money at it and buy a nice ultralight solo canoe??? this cost would of course be offset by the money I'd save with the gym membership, personal trainer and assorted exercise accoutrements.

In fact, come to think of it, I would also be saving OHIP money by avoiding multiple herniated discectomies, so for the good of the province, I should start shopping for an ultralight canoe...

All kidding aside, I think I committed to this trip off the forums.... yikes! I'm pretty sure I'd need an extra week just to recover.

p.s. How bad is it that I'm eating oreos as I post?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiblets View Post
    Hmmm, am I being lazy when I think the easiest way to drop 20+ pounds it to throw money at it and buy a nice ultralight solo canoe??? this cost would of course be offset by the money I'd save with the gym membership, personal trainer and assorted exercise accoutrements.

In fact, come to think of it, I would also be saving OHIP money by avoiding multiple herniated discectomies, so for the good of the province, I should start shopping for an ultralight canoe...

All kidding aside, I think I committed to this trip off the forums.... yikes! I'm pretty sure I'd need an extra week just to recover.

p.s. How bad is it that I'm eating oreos as I post?
    I like the cut of your jib. On behalf of all my fellow nurses, I thank you for saving health care costs and commend you for contributing to the economy.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    So after some serious negotiations it would appear that we will both be joining in for this adventure. Assuming girls are welcome? !?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    So after some serious negotiations it would appear that we will both be joining in for this adventure. Assuming girls are welcome? !?
    Hey Jayson.. You know me better than that; of course Tracy's welcome.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Doing the typical winter activity of planning canoe trips and this thread and watching Kevin Callan's around algonquin (meanest link) has me tempted to abandon my typical remote areas trip in favour of an epic trip around the park. Not doing it in 5 days like you have planned though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Yeah I watched a bunch of Kevin Callan's videos recently and they made me want to do a week long trip in Algonquin someday. I think in 4 years for my 50th I'll do one.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    Doing the typical winter activity of planning canoe trips and this thread and watching Kevin Callan's around algonquin (meanest link) has me tempted to abandon my typical remote areas trip in favour of an epic trip around the park. Not doing it in 5 days like you have planned though.
    It'd be fun. Think Canoe to McIntosh and halfway back. That's not so bad if we get a very early start each day.
    Come to think of it, I doubt it's the paddling that has you concerned but the early morning wake up call rousing you out of your cozy hammock before 11am! Kidding!

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast