Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips

Cole Mnt, Bald Knob, & Mnt Pleasants

Did an overnighter this past weekend in Virginia. Camped at Hog Camp Gap which is also a great place
    to go car camping. We had warm days and a cold Saturday night. For those that know the area we started
    at RT 60 and hiked north. My HH with JRB top and bottom quilts kept me warm. I think the temp hit 28 or
    maybe a degree or 2 colder. Like all my other trips I did not sleep very well. I miss my cpap machine
    plus we had a very active owl and what I think was a bobcat close by. AnyHoo.....owl....see what I did there
    I am curious if others have a hard time sleeping. My cousin that was with me does not sleep well either
    when he camps. Any suggestions appreciated. Glad to answer any gear questions.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I too have a hard time making it into a deep sleep the entire night when out in the piney woods. I read an article in backpacker magazine one time that talked about sleeping with one eye open when camping and that its a natural response to a new place. For me I just soak in all the amazing sounds of animals and chalk it up to the experience, I usually sleep like a baby when I get back. Sleeping in the woods is like Christmas Eve as a kid, just waiting for sun to pop up to see what Santa has left under the tree or in our case out in nature.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Studies have been done that show people have trouble sleeping the first night in a strange place.

For me I think it depends on what all I did the day of, i.e. did I hike a long way and wear myself out or did we just get to camp and set up and lounge around.

I do know that on the one multi-day trip I've done so far I slept much better the second night than the first. Even then there were periods of wakefullness. It's a different experience sleeping outside for sure, and I don't expect to sleep in the wilds like I do at home- YMMV

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howsithanging View Post
    Did an overnighter this past weekend in Virginia. Camped at Hog Camp Gap which is also a great place
    to go car camping. We had warm days and a cold Saturday night. For those that know the area we started
    at RT 60 and hiked north. My HH with JRB top and bottom quilts kept me warm. I think the temp hit 28 or
    maybe a degree or 2 colder. Like all my other trips I did not sleep very well. I miss my cpap machine
    plus we had a very active owl and what I think was a bobcat close by. AnyHoo.....owl....see what I did there
    I am curious if others have a hard time sleeping. My cousin that was with me does not sleep well either
    when he camps. Any suggestions appreciated. Glad to answer any gear questions.
    Same here. Did the Sipsey Wilderness last weekend and between late "arrivers", owl mating calls (which I would have sworn was in the tree I was hanging on), and acorns falling it was late before I fell asleep. Finally put the ear plugs in and fell asleep.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips
    Great comments, I would agree that the second night on a trip was a better sleep night. I guess I will have to always go for at least
    two nights so I can get a better nights sleep the second night....lol. I have thought about ear plugs but I want to hear what is going
    on. I will just have to take the sleep I get and catchup when I get home.

• + New Posts