UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Question Underquilt for the Sparrow Dream Hammock

Hello everyone.

One of the new guys here,

I have a couple questions. I am planning on purchasing an 11 foot Sparrow by Dream Hammock here in the next couple months. The width should clock in around 65 inches. My question is who makes an affordable underquilt that would work with this size hammock? I typically run hot so I’m thinking something a bit lighter maybe something with a 40 to 50 degree rating. I will be camping in Maine and some island camping off the coast of Maine, My camping season will run from April to November. My plan will be to upgrade to a UGQ but I just need something to get me by for a year or so.

Also what temps do you start to bring along an over quilt? I know this is a very open ended question. Just looking for a rule of thumb.

Thank you,
    Minuteman

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post
    Hello everyone.

One of the new guys here,

I have a couple questions. I am planning on purchasing an 11 foot Sparrow by Dream Hammock here in the next couple months. The width should clock in around 65 inches. My question is who makes an affordable underquilt that would work with this size hammock? I typically run hot so I’m thinking something a bit lighter maybe something with a 40 to 50 degree rating. I will be camping in Maine and some island camping off the coast of Maine, My camping season will run from April to November. My plan will be to upgrade to a UGQ but I just need something to get me by for a year or so.

Also what temps do you start to bring along an over quilt? I know this is a very open ended question. Just looking for a rule of thumb.

Thank you,
    Minuteman
    I have a Sparrow, in HyperD XL. It's order 3865 if you're interested. The underquilt doesn't have to be as big as the hammock, it only has to be as big as you. That being said, wide underquilts are easier I think. I have a Loco Libre Cayenne Pepper that's 85" x 50. It's perfect, I think. I'm not sure if you have slept in a hammock overnight before, but in Maine in Spring / Fall, you're probably going to need more than a 40-50 degree underquilt.

In regards to a top quilt, I always have at least some sort of layer on top, I feel weird without it. I use my 3-season Climashield 6.0 TQ in all temps really, except really hot nights when I'll just use a sheet or something similar.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Normally i would suggest a set of UGQ's, Flight jacket with a Zepplin, and considering the average temps up in Maine i would think around 20° but if your really a warm sleeper then you might get away with a set of 40° quilts.
    As far as buying something cheap and then upgrading i think in the end that way would end up costing more in the long run, imo ,Maybe start with the 40° underquilt and use a good sleeping bag until you can save up for the topquilt, but that's just how i would do it.!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I'm suspecting the weather in Maine is similar to New Brunswick? If that's the case, you would want something a little more substantial for the shoulder seasons than a 40. I know you say you run hot but that area doesn't always run hot. Many like a 10˚F cushion, even those who run hot. You might want to look at the 30˚F from UGQ.

In the meantime, many use a pad, and if you have a sleeping bag from other forms of camping, which shall not be named, I'd just use that if it's gotten you through the seasons. Just get your hammock and tarp and go hang your hang.

Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    I'm suspecting the weather in Maine is similar to New Brunswick? If that's the case, you would want something a little more substantial for the shoulder seasons than a 40. I know you say you run hot but that area doesn't always run hot. Many like a 10˚F cushion, even those who run hot. You might want to look at the 30˚F from UGQ.

In the meantime, many use a pad, and if you have a sleeping bag from other forms of camping, which shall not be named, I'd just use that if it's gotten you through the seasons. Just get your hammock and tarp and go hang your hang.
    I agree with this and the advice from Zilla. Can't imagine an UQ that one would buy to get by for a year unless it was DIY. Otherwise, it would seem to be a waste of money to buy a "temporary" UQ. I DO like the collaboration between DH and UGQ to ensure a good UQ fit though. (Good choice!)

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    I agree with everything said above, just keep in mind a couple things. If you are not worried about weight, then start with a synthetic UQ, AHE Jarbidge is an awesome quilt that fits every hammock i own including my DIY tablecloth hammocks. And in Maryland can easily handle May-October. It is heavier then down, but if weight is not a concern is a great choice. LL also have a nice synthentic from reviews i've read.

Most on here will say buy right the first time to save money. However even they will own 2-3 UQ's/TQ's/Tarps/Hammocks.......heck i owned 5 at one time. My plan is to order one for my birthday so Hang Your Own Hang and you will find you like having options in the equipment department.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Can't disagree. Never hurts to have extra stuff. A synthetic UQ is definitely worth owning. A relatively inexpensive way to complement your hammock. I'd still recommend buying quality stuff that you hope to keep rather than something you'd consider disposable.

I know UGQ was toying with a synthetic UQ model and keeping up with orders put a number of things on the back burner.

One way or another, if you're going to end up with an UGQ UQ, get the UQ hooks installed on the Sparrow.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Guys, thanks for all the great advice here. I knew I came to the right place. I'm definitely buy the best stuff guy."buy once cry once"
    Thanks for the synthetic advice. That may be my first purchase and then move on to a down UQ. I figure within a year so so there will be several UQ's in the gear collection. Hahaha.

There is no bad weather only bad gear.

Thanks again everyone.
    Enjoy the weekend.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I have a Sparrow as well. Agree with everything that's been written here. Can't go wrong with an AHE synthetic UQ. The Sparrow is an asymmetrical hammock, so the Potomac will also work in addition to the Jarbridge (see my post at https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...m-Hammocks-Yes!). I have 2 Potomacs that I use with mine, a 3-season and a 4-season. The main difference is that the asym UQ stays on the shoulder a little easier than the symmetric Jarbridge.

I do most of my camping in the Whites of NH and I almost always use my 3-season UQ between late May and early October. Over the winter I switch to a 0 degree quilt. Can always vent in the Summer.

I always have a topquilt as well. Even in Summer I carry my 40 degree TQ. I can always throw it off if it's too warm, but on all but the coolest nights it's good to have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie
    i own a dream hammock' and i tried warbonnet yeti and greylock 4. the tie outs on the hammock is pushing the quilt down if you are using wide UQ like greylock 4. but the yeti fits well. but you still got the shock cord pushing up and in the tieouts on the hammock.

• + New Posts