Dutch Hexon 1.0 Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie

Hammock for shorter tarps Sub 11'

I started off and currently use an ENO Double nest converted with whoopies and a ASR. I have measured the ENO and the finished length is just under 9'. I am realizing that I can probably do better and don't feel as comfortable in it as I know I could be. It's not terrible, but feel like it's time to upgrade a bit.

Anyways, I have an older model WB Edge tarp that is the shorter 10.5' RL and I am worried that an 11' hammock would not be covered as well under the shorty tarp.I want to know if I would be good with a 10' hammock. At 5'10" 190lb would a single layer 250lb hammock work as well?

I am really liking the Dutch stuff, but not sure on the 11', and I do like my tarp as it is now. Any recommendations on my next hammock?

Thanks guys.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Buy some Hexon Wide 1.6 oz fabric from Dutch, decide on your desired hammock ridge line length (equal to your tarp ridge line length - (2 x your desired tarp overhang)), divide by 0.83, add allowances for your sewn end channels (I'd add a total of 12" for double-layer folded channels), and make your hammock body that length. The wide fabric will help you get a better diagonal lay in the short body of your DIY hammock. By his method, if you start with a 138" hammock blank and make 2" wide double-layer sewn end channels (taking up 6" on each end), you'll end up with a 10.5-foot finished single-layer hammock with approximately the same overhang under your short tarp that an 11-footer has under an 11-foot tarp (132" RL). (If you try to approximate the overhang of a 12-foot tarp, your hammock will be really short (9.25 feet) and probably much less comfortable, even with a wide body.)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 11-10-2016 at 10:09.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    CBX133, I would say you will be just fine with a 10' hammock under your 10.5' tarp.

I have spent a few nights in that set up (DIY Hex tarp and PolyD hammock) in the rain and been just fine. If your ASL on the hammock is set to the rule of thumb ~83%, you will have 12" of overhang on each end of your hammock. Plenty of coverage, if you ask me.

I am 5'11 and 190lbs, and I like my Hexon1.0 10ft hammock a lot. You would have no trouble using that fabric. However, that is largely dependent on personal preference. I find the Hexon1.6 to be slightly more comfortable/firm, but for the weight, the 1.0 is fantastic.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    CBX133, I would say you will be just fine with a 10' hammock under your 10.5' tarp.

I have spent a few nights in that set up (DIY Hex tarp and PolyD hammock) in the rain and been just fine. If your ASL on the hammock is set to the rule of thumb ~83%, you will have 12" of overhang on each end of your hammock. Plenty of coverage, if you ask me.

I am 5'11 and 190lbs, and I like my Hexon1.0 10ft hammock a lot. You would have no trouble using that fabric. However, that is largely dependent on personal preference. I find the Hexon1.6 to be slightly more comfortable/firm, but for the weight, the 1.0 is fantastic.
    Great input, thanks. I was debating whether hexon 1.0 or 1.6 would be better. The weight savings is tempting for the 1.0 for sure. Sounds like your hammock is exactly what I was thinking about going to.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by CBX133 View Post
    Great input, thanks. I was debating whether hexon 1.0 or 1.6 would be better. The weight savings is tempting for the 1.0 for sure. Sounds like your hammock is exactly what I was thinking about going to.
    Going with Hexon 1.0 instead of Hexon 1.6 on a 10-foot standard-width hammock will save you about 3.3 ounces. Personally, I'd take the extra comfort (firmness) and durability of the heavier fabric, but HYOH. Good luck.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Going with Hexon 1.0 instead of Hexon 1.6 on a 10-foot standard-width hammock will save you about 3.3 ounces. Personally, I'd take the extra comfort (firmness) and durability of the heavier fabric, but HYOH. Good luck.
    This is probably what I will do, as I agree. I am always up for weight savings, but want durable equipment as well. My ENO with suspension and Ridgeline is about 19oz. So going to about 14 or so would be a big savings.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    So I just got my tarp out and measured it to make sure. It is actually a little shorter at 10' 2" to the actual point where the tarp starts (not ring). Using the 83% rule:
    10' hammock RL (100") would have 11" of overhang on each end
    10.5' hammock RL (104.5") gives 8.75" on each end
    and a 11' hammock RL (110') leaves 6" coverage on each end.

Coming from a hammock that is currently 15" of coverage on each end, these seem a lot lower, but how low can you go comfortably? This is a pretty small tarp compared to most apparently.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I have a 10' tarp with a 10' hammock, and I think it does the job just fine. I wouldn't want to go any smaller with the tarp though.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CBX133 View Post
    So I just got my tarp out and measured it to make sure. It is actually a little shorter at 10' 2" to the actual point where the tarp starts (not ring). Using the 83% rule:
    10' hammock RL (100") would have 11" of overhang on each end
    10.5' hammock RL (104.5") gives 8.75" on each end
    and a 11' hammock RL (110') leaves 6" coverage on each end.

Coming from a hammock that is currently 15" of coverage on each end, these seem a lot lower, but how low can you go comfortably? This is a pretty small tarp compared to most apparently.
    I once borrowed a similar Ridgerunner to go with my 11 ft. hammock. It wasn't remotely enough to cover the hammock ends, once you factor in suspension, whoopies, or whatever.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I once borrowed a similar Ridgerunner to go with my 11 ft. hammock. It wasn't remotely enough to cover the hammock ends, once you factor in suspension, whoopies, or whatever.
    How big is a ridge runner? I'm not familiar with a ridge runner tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast