Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Enlightened Equipment posted an article relevant to this discussion. You may want to check it out at...

https://support.enlightenedequipment...Quilt-Layering

Here is what they propose..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the information That is a really good article.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    When I recently completed a GrizzBridge Ariel, I found the my Jarbidge worked perfectly as an under quilt. I used it at the last Arizona group hang and was pretty happy. However, I am a cold sleeper and I realized that if I wanted to go lower then the 40's, I would need to layer.

I had a Costco Down throw waiting for a project, and decided to use it to make a Jarbidge clone.

It will make a great summer quilt for those 60 degree nights and if I layer it with the "real Jarbidge", it gets me down into the high 20's

The chart from EE says or should be good into the teens, maybe for someone other then me .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That spreadsheet is read only.
    Correct, you'd have to do a "save-a-copy" if you want to play with it, I can't just have random people changing my spreadsheet... I'd come back and it would be unrecognizable

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders

First Test

I finally got a chance to test out the stacked Jarbidges last night. The low got down to 16* according to my thermometer. We got about 2 inches of snow before it turned into ice coming down around 3:30am. I used the Hammeck Netty, two 3 season Jarbidges, Owyhee 3 season w/ Dutch sit pad in footbox, Dutch Winter Sock, and Toxaway tarp. For clothing I used a polyester base layer top, mid weight fleece top, 100g primaloft jacket, mid weight fleece bottom, Wiggy's Lamilite Socks, fleece beenie, and bandanna over my mouth. I stayed nice and warm all night. The only thing that got cold was my nose, which I combated by pulling the top quilt up over my head. There was no condensation issues, just a wet bandanna. I was in a hurry getting setup on my lunch break and only took a couple of pictures. In hindsight, I really should have taken a picture of the Jarbidges without the sock over them. Tried to take some additional pictures in the morning of the snow and ice, but it wasn't light enough yet and they didn't come out.

IMG_20161216_124012207.jpgIMG_20161216_125332641.jpg

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    When you layered the Jarbidge quilts did you use anything to hold the suspension corners of the top and bottom quilt together? For me I move about as a side sleeper and not sure one layer would stay lined up with the other. Thanks.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thanzely View Post
    I finally got a chance to test out the stacked Jarbidges last night. The low got down to 16* according to my thermometer. We got about 2 inches of snow before it turned into ice coming down around 3:30am. I used the Hammeck Netty, two 3 season Jarbidges, Owyhee 3 season w/ Dutch sit pad in footbox, Dutch Winter Sock, and Toxaway tarp. For clothing I used a polyester base layer top, mid weight fleece top, 100g primaloft jacket, mid weight fleece bottom, Wiggy's Lamilite Socks, fleece beenie, and bandanna over my mouth. I stayed nice and warm all night. The only thing that got cold was my nose, which I combated by pulling the top quilt up over my head. There was no condensation issues, just a wet bandanna. I was in a hurry getting setup on my lunch break and only took a couple of pictures. In hindsight, I really should have taken a picture of the Jarbidges without the sock over them. Tried to take some additional pictures in the morning of the snow and ice, but it wasn't light enough yet and they didn't come out.

IMG_20161216_124012207.jpgIMG_20161216_125332641.jpg
    Loose most of those layers and you'll be even warmer. Insulation traps heat, need to let it get there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    When you layered the Jarbidge quilts did you use anything to hold the suspension corners of the top and bottom quilt together? For me I move about as a side sleeper and not sure one layer would stay lined up with the other. Thanks.
    I've only stacked a full and a 3/4 UQ but I haven't had an issue with them moving around in my Streamliner.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    No, I just used the Tato Ridgeline Quilt Hooks for both. I was surprised that I didn't need to do much fiddling at all. I was able to get them dialed in pretty quickly and didn't have to adjust them at all through the night.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Loose most of those layers and you'll be even warmer. Insulation traps heat, need to let it get there.....
    Well, I'm not sure that would have been the case. The only extra layer I really had was the primaloft jacket (which is insulation). I was pushing a 25* top quilt down to 16*. My thought was the additional insulated primaloft jacket would be a supplement for me to push the temps. Of course I could be wrong, but I was nice and warm and I like to follow the motto if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I should also add that there was a consistent 10+mph wind all night. My backpack was covered with snow in the morning which was laying under me just above my head. With the recorded windchill it was 0*.

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    Snugpak TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I know I'm late but I've layered two ~30 degree UQ's for winter hangs with good results. I just wish they weren't so heavy combined. Lucky we were at a state park and there was no hike in.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post

I've only stacked a full and a 3/4 UQ but I haven't had an issue with them moving around in my Streamliner.
    This is a myth.

If the heat is INSIDE the insulation, it's trapped inside WITH you, and whatever else you're wearing.

Really the only problem with over-layering is your circulatory system and breathability of materials. To use a great example, I present Shug, and his loose socks (mentioned in a few videos, I think): it's another layer, but very breathable and non-constricting. But, layer some gloves that weren't meant to be layered, and you restrict the circulation which means your body isn't supplying as much heat to that portion of your body... But, take that same outer glove by itself, and your hand will be warmer. I actually experienced this this morning, cycling to work in 4°F temps. I normally wear just insulated leather gloves from Carhartt, but my hands were still getting cold so I Iayered Thermashield liner gloves inside. My hands were toasty warm except my ring finger's tips where the layering got a bit too tight so I stopped and I pulled the outer gloves off just a little bit, to where they felt unconstricted and they felt warmer almost immediately.

This is the same inside your quilts. The quilts when properly setup, prevent the warmth from leaving... creates a micro climate, a (mostly)closed system (heat is still leaving the space through the quilt, but your body though produces heat faster than it escapes) The difference is in how your body is able to distribute this warmth to various portions of your body, not that there is less warmth.

A thermal base-layer is designed to be tight fitting enough to provide a micro-thin air layer, and some slight warming friction as you move, but also elastic enough to not constrict blood flow. Wear a size that's too small, and you might restrict your circulation, rendering it's insulating properties less noticeable

Even wearing no socks, if your feet are too elevated, you slow circulation to them and can experience cold feet.

If your insulation is adequate for the season, you don't have any gaps to let outside air in, and you're STILL cold, check to sure your laying properly, and that there's nothing interfering with your circulation. Or maybe you simply didn't eat enough calories to cover the calories burned during the hike in, or aren't hydrated enough.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast