Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders

Layering 2 Jarbidges?

Has anyone tried layering two 3s jarbidges? Any thoughts on what the temp rating would be for 12oz of climashield apex. Would it be best to use ridgeline quilt hooks for both or maybe better to use one ridgeline quilt hook and one quilt hanger?

Of course, I am going to test this out for myself in the yard when the temps get a little colder and I have some time. I just wanted to get some thoughts on a starting point.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I haven't stacked Jarbidges, but I have stacked on with my Incubator. With the suspension loosened up to avoid compressing the down, it worked quite well. Took my Incubator 20+2oz down to -7, and likely could have gone colder. I would think this would be easier to get good results with using 2 synthetic underquilts. If you've got em, give it a shot. As kitsapcowboy said, I doubt you'll get full insulation value from both quilts due to some compression.

Hmmm.. the difference between the 1s and 3s is 2.4oz of insulation and a rating of 15 degrees, or 6.25 degrees per oz. So adding another 3s quilt at 6oz x 6.25 degrees/oz is 37.5 degrees. The 3s rating of 25 degrees less 37.5 degrees would be a rating of -12.5 degrees. I understand there are a lot of other variables but this might offer some idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Alas, the relationship between thermal resistance (insulation value) and perceived comfort rating is not linear, so that calculation will be pretty far off...
    Based on what data?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquering Fool View Post
    Based on what data?
    I don't have data, but one of the ways in which an UQ keeps one warm is to prevent raditaion of heat away from the body. That radiation of heat follows an inverse square law. Double the distance from the body, get only 1/4 the heat. Triple it, 1/9, etc. There would also be a double layer of silnylon between the two quilts, so the insulation wouldn't act like one thick piece of insulation. But, the two quilts would together still be a better insulator than each alone.

Alas, the relationship between thermal resistance (insulation value) and perceived comfort rating is not linear, so that calculation will be pretty far off...
    I just plotted temperature ratings vs ounces of insulation per square inch for UGQ and Hammock Gear.. both linear.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemguy View Post
    There would also be a double layer of silnylon between the two quilts, so the insulation wouldn't act like one thick piece of insulation.
    Double layer of silnylon? How did silnylon enter the picture?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    I was just curious if there was anywhere that stated a typical temp rating of 12oz given that AHE states 3.6oz = 45*, 6.0oz = 25*, and 9.6oz = 10*. I understand that these temps are subjective and that is really dependent upon each individual. I was just looking for a basis.

Also, I understand that 2 stacked underquilts is not the exact equivalent of 1 underquilt with the same insulation weight. Although, I do believe that with the underquilts suspended properly it would be fairly close. There would be no silnylon between the insulation layers, just 1.1oz ripstop nylon.

As stated, I will be testing it out in the yard to find out how it works for me. The temps in central PA haven't quite dropped enough yet to test it out (only lows of mid 30's). In the mean time I figured I would throw out some questions

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've stacked down quilts and I don't think there's much compression going on - might be different for synthetic.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was thinking about this and wondered if there might be a difference with down vs synthetic quilts so I also plotted temperature ratings for Enlightened Equipment's Prospect CS Apex quilts vs the CS weight and the relationship is also linear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast