Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    And make sure you get the head and foot end of the underquilt on the right way. Ask me how I know

Those are some really nice looking quilts!

Hammock
    gathered end DIY kit by RSBTR
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator30 Custom
    Suspension
    DIY, Dutch Spider
    Nice video

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Super-useful, as usual Thanks for contributing this to the community.

Beautiful quilts, too! Enjoy them this winter...

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have been wanting to do a video on how to adjust and fit a full length Hammockgear Incubator underquilt. So, I finally got a custom one so now I can show. It pains me when folks struggle to get the proper fit on a UQ.
    Hammock camping has a lot of moving pieces and insulation underneath is where most folks fail.
    My opinion is that UQs are the most difficult part of a hammock system for most people.
    Hope this gives some helpful insight.
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    These sure are awesome, yes I said awesome.
    Watched this last night, FROM my hammock, setting my Incubator up for the 1st time since sending it in to Hammock Gear to add this suspension and draft collars. The draft collars and suspension are a breeze to setup alone on the head end, so easy to see feel if you have things right. The draft collars are awesome!
    I found the foot end a little trickier to determine if you have it setup right because it's hard to do a situp w/o disturbing your hammock lie to check. I could have called my beloved out to check the foot end for me, and she would have.... but in the end thought it was close and felt Mother Nature would tell me soon enough if I had a draft. All worked out well !

A good underquilt is a beautiful thing! It's hard to explain to someone who does not "hammock" the cuddling warmth of a good underquilt (and Hammack Gear makes some darn nice ones!)

Now for a top quilt soon! I'm using a zipped open sleeping bag that's OK and as a fit, I have no real problems with it, but it's not quite what I need for this late MN fall and coming winter. So, a shopping we will go... soon.

Thanks Shug for another quality and entertaining video!
    Last edited by Us5Camp; 11-09-2016 at 10:16.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    I found the foot end a little trickier to determine if you have it setup right because it's hard to do a situp w/o disturbing you hammock to check.
    No kidding. I wish my left arm was 3' longer!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Very nice set of quilts. Real show stoppers. Thanks for the video. Really good instructions.
    Take care,
    Al
    They sure are. Find myself just staring at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingletrut View Post
    And make sure you get the head and foot end of the underquilt on the right way. Ask me how I know

Those are some really nice looking quilts!
    Tough to do with a top quilt though!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Homer View Post
    Nice video
    Thankee.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Super-useful, as usual Thanks for contributing this to the community.

Beautiful quilts, too! Enjoy them this winter...
    I will until we get to about 10ºF.

Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Watched this last night, FROM my hammock, setting my Incubator up for the 1st time since sending it in to Hammock Gear to add this suspension and draft collars. The draft collars and suspension are a breeze to setup alone on the head end, so easy to see feel if you have things right. The draft collars are awesome!
    I found the foot end a little trickier to determine if you have it setup right because it's hard to do a situp w/o disturbing your hammock lie to check. I could have called my beloved out to check the foot end for me, and she would have.... but in the end thought it was close and felt Mother Nature would tell me soon enough if I had a draft. All worked out well !

A good underquilt is a beautiful thing! It's hard to explain to someone who does not "hammock" the cuddling warmth of a good underquilt (and Hammack Gear makes some darn nice ones!)

Now for a top quilt soon! I'm using a zipped open sleeping bag that's OK and as a fit, I have no real problems with it, but it's not quite what I need for this late MN fall and coming winter. So, a shopping we will go... soon.

Thanks Shug for another quality and entertaining video!
    I too slept out in mine last night! Got to about 34ºF here in Roseville. Oh so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    No kidding. I wish my left arm was 3' longer!
    I set a camera on the end and do a video peek. Plus...if the feet are warm then all is good. I feel the foot end is the forgiving end on a long UQ.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Superb video, as always, and a fantastic tip on grabbing the sides of the UQ and lifting up to see if that alleviates a buttock-oriented cold spot. I had one of those two nights ago, and eventually realized that my "set and forget" UQ had forgotten its settings and needed some readjustment.

40" seems really narrow - my diy 64" long UQ is 44" wide and it seems to me that any more narrow would impact how diagonal I could get. Am I wrong, or is the geometry different with a 72" UQ necessitating less width? I had actually considering doing something more like 48" on my next UQ.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    MAn, great video quality and content! I just received my *20 custom. Here is my take of this post:
    Great looking quilts
    Thank you for the insight.
    Great information on the set up, it helped me out, so did your secondary suspension video you did on your LL. As far as my UQ prowess. All your vids help.
    I totally want a snipe more than ever now.
    Just a quick couple questions: is there a temp that you will a decision, trail head decision? Or when you will go to your loco libre 0 degree?
    Also is that a standard length fixed ridge line for the snipe or is it DIY home made?
    I wonder will you just switch UQ just to take out old friends? NOt to pry. Or anything but it seems that besides your hillbilly pot, then the Ohm, that the Frankenquilt is almost the next most brought or shared item in your vids. I imagine you might sometimes just switch for the heck of it.
    I've seen you use another cook pot here or there, and I've seen you bring the ole' mariposa a time or three, , then I'm think the ole' Frankenquilt is the go to. So, now with these awesome LL and HG quilts in the chamber, so to speak, will we see them, out in the wild, or are they more reserved for home use. There is a lot of questions there don't feel obligated to answer it all, I am a total hammock nerd and Shug poser so any would help. And thanks for the awesomeness.
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It was a quickie and used my new camera too. Sony DSC-HX80.
    Sony? I thought you were a Canon guy? I saw on your last video that you were unhappy with the buzzing noise but thought you were getting another Canon. I have no allegiance or preference to either; just wondering what swayed you.

As for the HG UQ video - nice quilts. I have a HG 20 top quilt and nearly pulled the trigger on a 20 Incubator on their recent Fall sale. Maybe Santa will bring me one!

P.S. I had to explain to my son why I kept saying EARLY whenever he would say the word early in conversation!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Superb video, as always, and a fantastic tip on grabbing the sides of the UQ and lifting up to see if that alleviates a buttock-oriented cold spot. I had one of those two nights ago, and eventually realized that my "set and forget" UQ had forgotten its settings and needed some readjustment.

40" seems really narrow - my diy 64" long UQ is 44" wide and it seems to me that any more narrow would impact how diagonal I could get. Am I wrong, or is the geometry different with a 72" UQ necessitating less width? I had actually considering doing something more like 48" on my next UQ.
    I measured it quickly...maybe 44" but I really did not flatten it out. Their standard width is 44" so more than likely that is what it is. . As you can see in the video it wraps me nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson Burner View Post
    MAn, great video quality and content! I just received my *20 custom. Here is my take of this post:
    Great looking quilts
    Thank you for the insight.
    Great information on the set up, it helped me out, so did your secondary suspension video you did on your LL. As far as my UQ prowess. All your vids help.
    I totally want a snipe more than ever now.
    Just a quick couple questions: is there a temp that you will a decision, trail head decision? Or when you will go to your loco libre 0 degree?
    My Loco Libre is a -10º to -15º UG .Yes, that is a minus. It will come out in serious winter.

Also is that a standard length fixed ridge line for the snipe or is it DIY home made?
    I added that ridgeline...adjust to suit you. Mine is 107" ...I think. But not sure as I have not measured it in a while. Your results may vary. Watch Snipe video below at 6:00 in....

I wonder will you just switch UQ just to take out old friends? NOt to pry. Or anything but it seems that besides your hillbilly pot, then the Ohm, that the Frankenquilt is almost the next most brought or shared item in your vids. I imagine you might sometimes just switch for the heck of it.
    I have never shared my OHM, Frankenquilt or Hillbilly Pot. Too much of my DNA on them. They will continue to go with me on Most trips. I do switch at my liesure or when the mood strikes. Gotta put all gear to use. Let the Snipe sit for years. It showed itself to me again lately.

I've seen you use another cook pot here or there, and I've seen you bring the ole' mariposa a time or three, , then I'm think the ole' Frankenquilt is the go to. So, now with these awesome LL and HG quilts in the chamber, so to speak, will we see them, out in the wild, or are they more reserved for home use.
    I only used my Gorilla pack on one trip. Never have donned a Mariposa or owned one. Perhaps you are confusing me with another...???
    I made Frankenquilt so it is dear to me. But I have a chilly trip soon and am bringing the HG set to field test them. They take a bit more pack room so may need to swithch to my ULÄ Catylast pack. Shall see in final pack.

There is a lot of questions there don't feel obligated to answer it all, I am a total hammock nerd and Shug poser so any would help. And thanks for the awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccartertn View Post
    Sony? I thought you were a Canon guy? I saw on your last video that you were unhappy with the buzzing noise but thought you were getting another Canon. I have no allegiance or preference to either; just wondering what swayed you.

As for the HG UQ video - nice quilts. I have a HG 20 top quilt and nearly pulled the trigger on a 20 Incubator on their recent Fall sale. Maybe Santa will bring me one!

P.S. I had to explain to my son why I kept saying EARLY whenever he would say the word early in conversation!
    Do you know why we do that EARLY thing? Funny::::

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast