ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing

New hanger...questions

I just got an ENO doublenest as my first hammock. All I've got is the basic hammock, and I'm trying to learn about how to hang it. I've read some discussions on here about suspension methods, but they're too technical for my hammock newbie self. I also only have very basic knowledge of knots. All the terms and knot names and everything are just confusing at this point.

So I'm hoping I can get a dumbed-down version here. I'd prefer as many pictures and videos as possible because I'm very visual. I also like simple methods. I'm not opposed to a little hardware...lightweight hardware (I'd like to remove the heavy steel clips and maybe even the thick rope attaching those clips to the hammock), but I want something simple to use in the woods.

I've been thinking I'd get the ENO bug net for this thing, since I'd assume it will work best with the hammock. Would I be well-served to install a structural ridgeline into the hammock? Or does the bug net include one?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernate View Post
    I just got an ENO doublenest as my first hammock. All I've got is the basic hammock, and I'm trying to learn about how to hang it. I've read some discussions on here about suspension methods, but they're too technical for my hammock newbie self. I also only have very basic knowledge of knots. All the terms and knot names and everything are just confusing at this point.
    Itll come to you as you progress.

The current suspension system on the ENO, while heavy, will work just fine.

So I'm hoping I can get a dumbed-down version here. I'd prefer as many pictures and videos as possible because I'm very visual. I also like simple methods. I'm not opposed to a little hardware...lightweight hardware (I'd like to remove the heavy steel clips and maybe even the thick rope attaching those clips to the hammock), but I want something simple to use in the woods.
    About the simplest you will find is either the ring set-up you can read about it Here

Or a Whoopie sling Set up. I have a video on my youtube channel you can find in my signature about how to attach a whoopie to a gathered end hammock. I actually used an ENO.

Both set-ups recquired tree straps, or "huggers." Which you can either make yourself, or pick up from www.strapworks.com

I've been thinking I'd get the ENO bug net for this thing, since I'd assume it will work best with the hammock. Would I be well-served to install a structural ridgeline into the hammock? Or does the bug net include one?
    The ENO Bug Net has a ridgeline for the bug net.

Welcome to the forums.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Yes, ENO has a bug net, but it weighs 16 oz. Try to get the Warbonnet bug net at 7 to 8 oz.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Nate, from one visual learner to another...

Here are some great videos Grizz made for us, which shows many of the suspension systems people are currently using. They are explained and shown in wonderfully simple terms, and really helped me to choose what to try when I made my own hammocks and converted my HH to a new suspension system. I think you'll find them helpful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpnd...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGRAnzEoXZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw6P3...layer_embedded

(Thanks again, Grizz!)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, Grizz's videos are probably your best bet.
    All the terms and jargon will stick to you pretty quick, don't sweat it. Once you see the set-ups a couple of times you'll see how easy they can be. It's only confusing the first time.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tinker T-7 / ENO DN / WBBB
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    First off, welcome to the forums.

I also use an ENO Doublenest and find it very comfortabe. I do advise installing a ridgeline to set the hang consistant but only time will tell you what length that would be for you. I have mine set to 97" and that works for me, your mileage may vary.

As far as the type of suspension goes, I went with Harbor Freight straps and rings because that appealed to me at the time. At this stage I would recommend going straight to whoopie slings with straps. The cost is about the same and you would be supporting a fellow HF member.

I used a Hammock Bliss mosquito net on my ENO and like it alot but in weghts 17 oz. The net slides over the hammock and rests on the ridgeline I put in place. The ENO version would most likey be about the same.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome! Try here for some basics on suspension...every method isn't on there yet but it's got enough info that you'll understand the more technical part.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingSuspension.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    love that video series! thanks for those links. It really helps me understand how certain things work. Now I just have to decide how I'm going to do it. One thing's for sure, the weight of a webbing-only system is unattractive to me. I'm definitely going to try out something with cord.

But I'm all about ease of use right now, so I'll be trying to get something together for myself (at least for now) that won't require me to make knots in the field. If I can make my knots at home and then just leave them in place and finish my hang by clipping a carabiner or something, that would make me happy for now. The whoopie sling looks interesting, but I don't want to go there just yet.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    I've been looking at my options and decided that I'm just going to have to try a few. So I decided to order enough supplies to cover me. I ordered 2 wiregate CAMP biners, 50' of green poly 1" webbing from strapworks, 100' of AmSteel blue 7/64 from Redden Marine, and 4 SMC rings straight from SMC. I ought to be able to try out a few different suspension systems with all that, including whoopie slings.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Sounds like you are on the right road, Nate.

Keep us posted on your results.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast