Michley 8-Stitch Desktop Sewing Machine - Walmart

Hi All,

I've had the itch to start making my own stuff for over a year now and I finally purchased a sewing machine. I'm hoping you guys can let me know if I've made an OK purchase. I didn't want to spend a lot of money as I wasn't sure how much I would really use it and I need to control my spending on this hobby (we all do, right?). So I purchased this sewing machine:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Michley-L...chine/19423465

Anyway, just please let me know if this will be sufficient for DIY projects like: hammock, tarp, underquilt, etc. What are some potential concerns you might have? If this isn't ok, what would be a suitable inexpensive upgrade? I have very little sewing experience, but I did it once or twice years ago and I am very good at assembling and constructing things.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by joedietz; 11-07-2016 at 11:39.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    That's a really small sewing machine - and thus may give you fits trying to sew certain projects where you will have a lot of material under the arm (to the right of the needle).

It's also off brand, and probably considered "disposable". I have me doubts that it'll work well for heavier duty sewing.

If you really want to keep expenses down I'd suggest looking on ebay/craigslist for deals on older, but still serviceable machines.

Also, if you paid the price listed in the link I'd return it and buy it elsewhere if you decide to use it - casually searching I found it at least $20 cheaper.
    https://www.amazon.com/Michley-LSS-5.../dp/B0021L9322

Thanks for the response. I updated my link. I did only pay $42.

Was also looking at this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-1...X2517/26805131

But it's $30 more. Worth it?

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    I think what you'll find with these cheaper machines is that many of the gears are made of plastic and the motor may be fairly weak. It's okay for the occasional everyday fixes of a normal person, but you'll probably wear out the gears or have one break before you get through any substantial project for a hammocker. Okay, may a set of tarpskins or a ditty bag or two. I second the used old machine. They can be had at yard sales for next to nothing. Check church sales, too. It seems every time a parishioner dies, their old machine ends up at the church sale, at least around here. I have yet to get a machine at a sale that had anything other than a good oiling or a new belt needed. My top price is $10. It's too bad you're so many states away. I've got 10 machines sitting around the house right now. The latest was an 1890s treadle machine in the cabinet for free. It needs a new belt and some oil. This one will never die.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    There are decent machines out there but I think you'd want to go with a bigger machine that has a more robust construction but it will cost you more. That machine looks like you might be chasing it across your table when running it plus as Boston mentioned, the harp size is small for getting material through it.

For the money, going with a used older machine from a thrift store or such would be a better option IMO. Machines that are 30, 40 or more years old still work well for a reason. Metal gears and construction mean long lasting machines that will continue to work well for years to come. They can require a little know how but with the help you can get here or online or on youtube, it's no hardship. I once found a machine at Value Village for $15 that was all metal and about 40 years old. A little clean up and oiling and it runs great. My 100+ year old treadle machine also runs great. Chances are good you may know someone in your family or among your friends that have a machine gathering dust somewhere. I'd start there and check out Goodwill or Craigslist as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by joedietz View Post
    Was also looking at this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-1...X2517/26805131

But it's $30 more. Worth it?
    I bought a very similar LS-series Brother thread injector factory remanufacrtured (as new) for $40 delivered of of eBay. Keep your eyes open for a deal, but the machine is a good value for an inexpensive sewing machine, even at full price. All of my DIY projects to date -- hammocks, tarps, and quilts with thick synthetic insulation -- have been sewn on an entry-level Brother machine like that. Support, parts, and compatible accessories are all available.

• + New Posts