Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It seems Hennessy changed up their construction? My Expedition Zip came with a loop of webbing on the end. Just attached the whoopies with a larks head.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ken, I apologize if you already answered this; I haven't read all 12 pages of comments.

When I watch your video and other conversion videos I'm asking myself, "What is the top and what is the bottom of the hammock (relative to the suspension holes)?" But maybe that doesn't matter. On one side, there seems to be a "trough" and that appears to be the side your enter the suspension hole on - regardless of "top or bottom. Is that correct? In other words, I'm assuming the suspension holes run top to bottom relative to the hammock when they may just run side to side?

Also some videos show the fixed loop being slid under the wraps before pushed through the ridge line loop. Is that just personal preference or was there a reason you ran the fixed eye over the two loops?

What I'm trying to do is watch various conversion videos and see if I can find two that use the same method. I suppose that I haven't been able to is a good thing because it means it is not so critical.

Also, after you run the adjustable end though the fixed eye (which has been pushed through the first hole the line entered (but on the other side) do you keep the fixed eye on that same side of the hole or do you pull it back through. Things sort of happen in a hurry there with all that snugging up and I can't see where that fixed loop ends up.

Thank you for making the video - it gave me courage to try something new.

Almost forgot. when I tried to put the original prussics on for the fly, they wouldn't grab because the amsteel was so slippery. I had to put four loops on the prussic. Is there a better way to do that? The undercover attaches to mitten clips that were zip tied to the original suspension line just beyond the "cover cone". I suppose I can zip tie the mitten clips on the amsteel (or will they just slide) unless you know of a better way.

Thank you,
    Paul

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hi Paul.

I no longer own a Hennessy, and don't really remember the orientation of the melted through holes, but I'm pretty sure they are side to side. That particular wrapping technique of the sling to the hammock is one that Knotty demonstrated, and I think it is as secure as any. I would say pick a method you like and go with it. I do think that having several wraps there adds security. As far as I know, most people do not use prussics on the slings to attach a tarp in the standard Hennessy fashion. I immediately switched my tarp to independent lines and suspended it separately from the hammock. I hope that helps.
    Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I got my Safari Asym Zip in the mail today. Prior to first hang, I grabbed my pre-ordered Whoopie Slings and followed the video. I was done in 10 minutes and it was my first attempt. That was including re-zip tying the end caps and installing the snake skins.

Thanks for posting this.
    Doc

Hammock
    HH Exp UL
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    EE RevX, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I recently bought a set of whoopies for my HH UL explorer and installed them like the video in this post. However, my whoopies came with the fixed loop being larger (probably 4-5") and the bury for the adjustable part coming out very close to the loop. This made it to where I could only wrap the ends once instead of what seemed like 2.5 times in the video. To try to explain it: it goes through the top of the first hole, around once and then into the bottom of the second hole, through the ridgeline loop, then back into the top of the first hole and out the bottom.

So if that makes any sense at all, I wanted to get opinions on whether that affects the strength and if would will be enough.

Good luck answering that...I think I even confused myself!

Cool Excellent Video

This is an excellent DIY project and your video makes it even easier to accomplish. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Regards
    Rod
    Lake Norman Septic

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Aluminumbling View Post
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I recently bought a set of whoopies for my HH UL explorer and installed them like the video in this post. However, my whoopies came with the fixed loop being larger (probably 4-5") and the bury for the adjustable part coming out very close to the loop. This made it to where I could only wrap the ends once instead of what seemed like 2.5 times in the video. To try to explain it: it goes through the top of the first hole, around once and then into the bottom of the second hole, through the ridgeline loop, then back into the top of the first hole and out the bottom.

So if that makes any sense at all, I wanted to get opinions on whether that affects the strength and if would will be enough.

Good luck answering that...I think I even confused myself!
    A picture would help to answer the question. If you can.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    Hope to someday be here at this point in my hammocking career! There is so much to learn! Video looks really helpful! I like the music.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single Para
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9ft
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I wish I would have watched this before I shortened the HH rope and made it into a loop to attach my whoopie slings. Just went back and re-did them with some AHE whoopies and it turned out great.

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    going to purchase this now....is this the right rope before I buy? the grey 7/64.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/--amst...id--P014895700

will 28 feet be a correct amount?

thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast