Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Thumbs up Double Layer Sparrow Review

I picked up my double layer Sparrow Dream Hammock from the post office this morning and took it out to a local park to test out and take photos. Click here for order details for those interested.

Dream Hammock has excellent customer service, the best I've seen in the outdoor industry. Their responses are fast, friendly, and personal. The status page on the website so a customer can follow along as their order progresses is wonderful and appears to be updated daily. The ability to which one can customize a hammock is the initial huge draw to Dream Hammock and can't be beat by any other hammock company to my knowledge. Despite this, prices remain very competitive for a high-end hammock. The optional add-ons like the overcover, interior bags, peak shelf, organizers, tie-out clips UQ clips, gear loops, and the hand loop add to the luxury. The fabric used to make the hammock is top quality and I'm very happy with the 1.6 HyperD in appearance and comfort. It's bold looking and very soft to the touch. The quality of construction is superb. I went over the stitching, zippers, and add-ons and I'm impressed. This hammock should stand up for years to rough treatment in the field. Manufacturing time was as promised and definitely worth the wait over buying a ready made hammock.

Click on photos to enlarge them.

My hammock.JPG My Sparrow just after construction at Dream Hammock in Ohio. Most customers will see their new baby through one of these photos several days before it arrives at their home. Color and fabric selection are the first choices a customer makes after picking a hammock model. The best looking hammocks in my opinion have a matching outside layer and overcover and then a contrasting interior fabric color. Several fabrics are available for people looking to either minimize weight or add more durability and support.

DSC_4901.jpg My 11' double layer 1.6 oz fabric Sparrow with overcover, bug net, and a number of optional add-ons weighs 45.75 oz or 1297 grams including the stuff sack. A 10' single layer Sparrow without add-ons weighs 25 oz. in comparison. The stuff sack does not include a compression strap, presumably to save on weight. As pack volume is a greater concern to me than weight, I will be adding one myself. Regardless, the hammock compresses down to about half the volume shown in the photo making it plenty small enough to fit in the lower compartment of a backpack.

DSC_4915.jpg The hammock comes in this double ended stuff sack allowing it to be left on the ridge line or taken off as the owner prefers.

DSC_4917.jpg I chose to go with a built in Whoopie Sling suspension system. While not as simple as the continuous loop option, it offers a finer level of adjustment to achieve the perfect 30 degree angle. If you aren't a fan of Whoopie Slings but want the same extra adjustment flexibility and reach, you can select a cinch buckle system instead.

DSC_4903.jpg The Whoopie Slings attach to the lightweight 6' tree straps using a toggle inserted into a basic marlinspike knot. I'm not a knot guy, but this one is simple. If the toggle is lost, any stick will work as the sling sits on top of the knot, not the toggle. A carabiner can also be used.

DSC_4911.jpg The ridgeline organizer is an add-on and is one of the first additions you should consider. It has three pockets on each side and a large central pocket in the middle for a water bottle. While it appears to add considerable slack to the ridgeline in the photo, this disappears when a person is in the hammock. Laying down, the organizer was 18" above my body and lots of weight can be added to it with very little slack in to the ridgeline.

DSC_4905.jpg I added a peak shelf at the head end for additional storage for larger items like a rain jacket shown here.

DSC_4912.jpg I also added a side organizer with three pockets for my cell phone, pistol, and vape. A shorter but deeper one pocket side organizer that has a zippered top is also available. Fellow gun owners with larger pistols or long guns can purchase a gun pocket that attaches to the ridgeline.

DSC_4909.jpg These peak bags are added at each end of the hammock with the purchase of an overcover and bug net. They can be removed and left at home when not needed. Below the peak bag in this photo is an optional gear loop. The gear loop at the foot end of the hammock can be used to attach the foot end of a top quilt or sleeping bag to keep the bag in place.

DSC_4908.jpg A last minute addition I made to my hammock was a gear loop combined with a hand loop at the head end. It was a wise decision as I've found it's much easier to move around in the hammock by pulling on the hand loop than pushing with my feet. It also makes it much easier to pull oneself up to the zippers to close the hammock overcover or bug net.

DSC_4913.jpg Another useful addition are tie-out hooks. These hooks come with a length of shock cord with loops at both ends which attach to the hooks and pull out the side of the hammock when put around a tree or staked in the ground. They make the hammock feel more roomy and pull extra fabric away from the face and body.

DSC_4916.jpg Underquilt hooks can be added to the ends of the hammock. They help pull the underquilt up tight against the contours of the hammock to provide better insulation. Pictured here are the underquilt hooks at the head end of the hammock along with the vented end of the overcover.

DSC_4918.jpg The hammock with the overcover closed creates a cozy cocoon. The asymmetrical construction of the hammock provides for a flat lay with the body positioned at 45 degrees to the ridgeline allowing a comfortable sleeping position for back sleepers, side sleepers, and even stomach sleepers.

This Sparrow now leaves for autumn field testing in the Tahquamenon Falls backcountry of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
    Last edited by bradymsu616; 11-03-2016 at 19:31.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Good review I can't wait to get mine pretty excited for you!
    In the shadows

Hammock
    TX-270/Sparrow/DIY
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    Thanks for the write up! I'll be placing an order this weekend. Just trying to decide on some of the options. One of my hold ups is the width - what made you steer away from the wider fabric options?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutyones View Post
    Thanks for the write up! I'll be placing an order this weekend. Just trying to decide on some of the options. One of my hold ups is the width - what made you steer away from the wider fabric options?
    I'm 5'9" and weigh 160 lbs. I considered the wider fabric options but after doing a lot of research I decided the extra weight and volume wasn't necessary. Laying in the hammock now, the standard fabric width is more than enough. I've read that length is more important than width and I'd suggest getting the longer 11' hammock. If you're going to get a wider fabric, I'd strongly recommend adding the tie-out hooks so you can pull the extra fabric out so it doesn't bunch up on you. I imagine the wider fabric is only necessary if you're a wider person or you'll have a dog sleeping next to you.

I debated the options over and over. The two I'm most happy with that I got are the ridgeline organizer and the hand loop on the gear loop at the head end. I didn't order the ridgeline organizer at first because I was worried the weight of items in it would cause the ridge line to sag too much. It doesn't. I also didn't order the hand loops or gear loops at first because I didn't see the point of them.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Very nice review on a great hammock, enjoy!!

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Great review! The Smurfs make truly excellent gear and are a great pleasure to deal with.

Great job in highlighting all the addon options and describing them. This could easily become a "best" description post that highlights what all of the options are and does a great job in describing them and showing them off.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Thanks for the review and agree with Eidson on the option upgrades.

Any trip reviews after using the hammock yet?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound352 View Post
    Thanks for the review and agree with Eidson on the option upgrades.

Any trip reviews after using the hammock yet?
    Yes, I've been out twice in it now. Wonderful hammock with quick and easy setup. It's my first experience using Whoopie Slings and I'm glad I got them. They are so quick & easy to hang with an adjust.

As far as the extras go, I didn't need to order the tie-out hooks. I don't use them and tie-out lines are just in the way with an underquilt and a tarp. I also should have ordered the zippered pocket organizer rather than the open one as items have a tendency to fall out of the open one on the side.

Three extra items I'm glad I did get and use all the time are the ridge line organizer, the underquilt hooks, and the hand loop in the gear loop at the head end of the hammock. I would go so far to say that the ridge line organizer should be ordered with any hammock. The underquilt hooks work great in pulling a full size underquilt tight against the hammock. The hand loop in the head gear loop is very useful for moving myself around in the hammock. The gear loop at the foot end I have not found a need for.

So, in summary, if I were doing it again, I would:

Not order the tie-out hooks.
    Not order the foot end gear loop.
    Replace the open side organizer with the zippered side organizer.
    Keep the ridgeline organizer, underquilt hooks, and gear loop with the hand loop at the head end.
    Use Whoopie Slings again for suspension

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Thanks for the follow up comments, Bradymsu616. Looking forward to seeing some of the Dream Hammocks next month at Hangcon.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system
    Very nice reviews. I really want to try a sparrow one of these days.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast