Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

Piping.

We've been asked a lot recently if we'd stock piping to go with some of our new plastic hardware, and a few other uses. So I wanted to post this real quick.

Piping is one of the easiest things to make, and the only tools you need are a sewing machine and a zipper foot.

I'm using 1/8" shockcord, and 420D Robic in this example.

The instructions are pretty simple.
    1. Cut the fabric to 1.5" wide x however long you need. Cut the shock cord to the same length.
    2. Fold the fabric widthwise, and insert the cord into the fold.
    3. Sew it! When sewing, make sure your stitching and foot are as close to the shock cord as your zipper foot allows, creating a tight channel.

This isn't just for hardware either. This can be used in any project where you want to add some rigidity to your project, like the top channel of ridgeline organizers (to prevent them from bunching up), bags, pockets and pouches to help them keep shape when empty, and even on cosmetic additions like the scales on this dragon tail stuff sack (I'm not saying it was used here.. but I'd use it here)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hk2001; 11-03-2016 at 10:27.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Great tip, HK.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Experimental Hammocks
    Nice!! Ill have to find something to add these on now
    Owner at Experimental Hammocks
    http://www.experimentalhammocks.com/
    Designer for Ripstop by the Roll
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/designer-carterjw

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Justin-
    Have you tried the clips with shock cord and 1.5" grosgrain? https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...nt=16974887937

Typically I have seen that pack hardware used with a grosgrain in a bias tape style finish on the shoulder straps.

I agree fully with your tip... just trying to sort out the right combo of cordage/fabric so the hardware slides smoothly but not sloppy.
    The grosgrain is a pretty smooth way to finish out that detail and to be blunt; is much cheaper and easier than strips of fabric.

Really appreciate RBTR picking up that hardware! Just haven't had a chance to personally play with it much yet to sort out some viable combos so really appreciate the discussion.

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    MWG Monster
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    various types
    That's pretty cool. Never thought of doing something like that.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    This concept can be used for a lot of things. The idea have crossed my mind several times but not only with buckles as shown. I was looking for something that could be sewn on to fabric/net. My idea came from a hammock with a half bugnet I wanted to make but I did not want to use zippers. The idea was the net could slide on the edge and a kind of skirt hanging over the edge to close the gap. I ended up trying with magnets but it did not work for me.
    If something like this could be found perhaps in a smaller scale it could also be used for expanding tarps and what not.
    Depending on what its used for the whole edge does not necessarily need to have chock cord all the way but only in the sections where its needed. The benefit is it can slide to whatever position its needed VS. Velcro snap locks and similar because they are in a fixed position.
    I have never tried it but I assume this type of buckles can be attached even on an long edge covered in a edge piping band as long as the filling material is divided.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Thanks a bunch! I was one that asked about piping. I did a brief search online and didn't find anything. I'm sure if I hunted harder I would have found something, but it is great that you posted this!
    Last edited by Banjoman; 11-05-2016 at 12:45.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Justin-
    Have you tried the clips with shock cord and 1.5" grosgrain? https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...nt=16974887937

Typically I have seen that pack hardware used with a grosgrain in a bias tape style finish on the shoulder straps.

I agree fully with your tip... just trying to sort out the right combo of cordage/fabric so the hardware slides smoothly but not sloppy.
    The grosgrain is a pretty smooth way to finish out that detail and to be blunt; is much cheaper and easier than strips of fabric.

Really appreciate RBTR picking up that hardware! Just haven't had a chance to personally play with it much yet to sort out some viable combos so really appreciate the discussion.
    I've found that 2 layers of the 420D Robic fits the hardware perfectly when used with the 1/8" shock cord, I haven't tried the grosgrain, but I will.. I won a new vintage machine this past weekend that I want to setup and run through its paces, the grosgrain piping will be a nice test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts