Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Cool NJ > Mullica River > 5th Annual Thanksgiving Turkey Trek > Friday, Nov. 25th - Sunday, Nov. 27th

That's right, it's time to start thinking about the 5th annual installment of the Thanksgiving Weekend NJ "Turkey Trek"!

Here's some details (as usual I stole a lot of the copy from previous years). Please read everything, and if there are questions feel free to post or PM me directly:

What:
    Halloween is over, the weather is finally getting colder (heavy frost last night!), nightfall is coming sooner, and the leaves are falling: definitely time to think about the 5th Annual Thanksgiving Turkey Trek!

When: We’ll be hiking in on Friday, November 25th (Black Friday ) and hiking out on Sunday November 27th. #optoutside

Where: This year will be at Mullica River Camp again. Having a water pump is a definite bonus, and there are plenty of route choices to accommodate anyone’s mileage proclivities. It's 4 miles in from Batsto, 5.5 miles in from Atsion, or you can hike via the Batona trail and make it as long as you'd like.

Important Note - This is a hike in hang. Mullica River Camp is not accessible by car – you can technically get within a mile or so of the camp by service roads, but you are not legally supposed to park overnight there. So if you’re interested, plan on walking in. Besides, the whole purpose of this hang is to walk off some of the feasting we’ve done in the days before – cold piney air is good for the soul and digestion. The Loco Libre Hang is coming up and the NJ Winter Hang is just a few short months away, so all the car campers can get their fix of the Pine Barrens – this is for the intrepid souls that want to get out and stretch their legs in the crisp pre-winter air.

Sites: We have already reserved sites 8 and 7. That’s good for a decent group of hammocks. There are plenty of other sites with decent trees, however:

Please do not book or pay for extra sites!

We (the organizers) will book extra sites as our numbers flesh out, we'll get the ones that we know are best suited for hammocks, and we'll work it into the overall cost of the weekend (see below). If and when we need additional sites reserved, we'll likely ask for volunteers to put the sites in your name - but please don't get ahead of things and start grabbing sites willy nilly, as it'll really mess up the budget.

How: I’ve created a simple Spreadsheet HERE so we can get a headcount. There are additional pages for the menu/budget/etc. that will be updated and fleshed out once the meal plan is finalized. Right now they are just copies of last year, and locked, but feel free to take a look if you like, to see how the planning process works.

Food: Lunches are BYO. Everything else will be a shared meal, based on the menu tab from the spreadsheet. See below for more info. Feel free to bring your own snacks and beverages, though I'm sure there will be plenty of those as well.

Cost*: As we have done successfully in years past, we'll look to do a full budgeted meal/supply plan for this hang. We've found this is an easier way to handle everything, we'll guarantee plenty of firewood so we stay warm, awesome meals for all, and people don't have to worry about what to bring or how to carry it. We even arrange for strategic drops of supplies. Lunch is bring your own, but everything else will be covered. Take a look at the second page/tab of the spreadsheet for the proposed menu - though it will be tweaked shortly. The final page is a work in progress but shows the budget and how things break down - as noted, that's copied from last year so it will change as we shop and update. Basically we take care of all the details, do all the shopping, arrange everything, and all you have to do is show with a little cash. At the moment, I'll tentatively suggest it will be between $30 and $40 per person for the full weekend, including site fees, 2 breakfasts, 2 dinners, and all shared supplies. This may change as things develop. Ask anyone who's attended before, and I think they'll concur it's worth the price.

(* note - if for some reason cost is a factor in whether you can/can't attend, please contact me directly to discuss - we'll work something out.)

That about covers it. I realize it’s a holiday weekend, and many will have plans and family obligations. But I’ll be out there regardless, and so will a few others - feel free to post here if you're interested in joining us. This is always a great chance to get out and stretch after the holidays, and for many the last chance to get out before the end of the year.

Cheers!
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 11-01-2016 at 23:04.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I'm in with the boys

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Looking forward to it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    And we're off!

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Not gonna be able to make this one.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    i'm off that weekend. I'm a possible.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Hammock Envy S
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG INCU. 0*
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Going to try for this one.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Gonna try!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think last year was the first year that somebody didn't come woefully unprepared: matthiatrek with a too-short tarp, vagabound with no TQ, greensoldier with the "I'll hang really low and the earth will keep me warm" idea, or Wise Old Owl's dog freezing near to death and having to hike out in the middle of the night. Let's hope for a great hang where everyone is warm, dry, happy and well-fed!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast