Exclamation Need help with first time hammock set up!

I have a few questions:

the biggest of witch is how do you keep the morning dew (especially during this time of year) from soaking your sleeping bag? i do have a rain tarp but it wont protect me from morning dew.

At what point do you guys think its a good idea to start using and under quilt. I have a static v down insulated sleeping pad and a mountain hardware ratio 15. is that a good set up and can i put my pad in the hammock with me instead of an underquilt?

thank to anyone who reply's im taking all my gear out next week and then out in may to the BWCA. im hoping to get my sleeping system figured out for both trip this week.. happy Halloween

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    So you have a tarp up and the morning dew is still soaking your bag? How high is the tarp pitched? The tarp should catch most if not all of the dew under normal circumstances. The rule of thumb is to use some kind of under insulation when the lows drop below 70. I always use an under quilt. The pad may work depending on the type of pad but some pads cause condensation issues which can backfire if it's real cold. Under quilts breath so they tend to always work better provided they are rated for the temps you are using them in.

thats a lot of help thanks. im trying to make the transition to a hammock but i haven't bought one yet. im trying to educate myself before i run out and blow some cash. Is there any brand that your would recommend?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It really depends on your budget and needs. Check out https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/, http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/, http://www.dutchwaregear.com/ and others are the big names. I personally like my Bridge Hammock as it's lays a bit flatter than the gathered end hammocks. Search this message board for more information as there's a lot of information here that will help you make up your mind.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    There's also Arrowhead Equipment. He also sells kits with everything a hammock beginner needs to get off the ground.

If you can sew it's easy to sew a hammock from a bolt of fabric. If you can't it's easy to whip the ends of a table cloth and use that (that's what I use currently).

A fun DIY project can get you your hammock and suspension all for $20-25, if you're willing to learn how to splice hollow core rope (assuming you don't know how already).

There are other great vendors and lots of options! Good luck!

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Hennessey hammock has all in one solutions.

Dream hammock and Dutchware are highly thought of as well and a big price difference. Its like a car everyone has a little different taste.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system
    I started with Dutchware hammocks and now use a WBBB XLC most of the time. They are both great companies. I'm sure I will end up with a dream hammock sometime, as well. I have 5 Hammock Gear quilts. I love them all. I have the cheaper Yukon Outfitter tarps, a Kelty Noah 12 and a WB superfly. My hammock camping has evolved quite a bit in the year and a half since I started. I guess my advice would be to start on the cheap side until you know if you like it. Even though some of my stuff is cheaper, I still use them as much as the more expensive ones. And, lastly, I think my most important piece of equipment for comfort is a good underquilt.
    Take your time and learn as much as you can. It's a lot of fun!

Highly recommend you pick up Derek Hansen's book "The Ultimate Hang." it or the website of the same name will answer a lot of your questions.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    SLD FTW PDQ!!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Below is the response I normally give to new folks who are either just starting in hammocks or checking it out. Just remember what works for one person may not work for another!!! There is no rinse repeat when it comes to hammocks. Each person is very different.

An example is my younger brother. He is 6'2" and sleeps just fine in a 9' hammock. I am 5'2" and I have a rough time in anything less than 11'. This is contrary to the popular belief that the taller you are the longer the hammock you need should be. Before you spend $ get to a hang event. People will be happy to let you check out their gear.

My best advise for you is:

1) Read all the sticky posts at the top of each section here at Hammock Forums. You will find all of your questions answered plus questions you have not thought of yet.

2) Go to You Tube and watch all of Shug's videos. He will also answer all your questions but make you laugh. Leave lots of times to watch these. There is a link to his video's on the main page of HF.

3) Google The Ultimate Hang and read Derek's The Ultimate Hang pages. He does a great of explaining things you did not even know you needed to know. He also does great diagrams so it's easy to understand.

4) Attend a Hammock Forum group hang before you invest any addition $ in your gear. There folks will show you and let you check out their gear so you can make educated decisions based on your own comfort levels

5) Lastly NEVER take any gear to the field that you have not completely tested in controlled conditions such as your back yard in the temps/environment you expect to encounter in the field. A set up that suits one person will mostly likely not suit another so don't assume that just because I like/can be comfortable with a specific piece of gear that you will. Really. We are all very different when it comes to hammocks and what works/what does not work.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts