Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs

Tarp guy line help/ideas

Ok i am currently using a superfly tarp.
    I use dutch fleas on shock cord loops larks headed to the tarps triangles.
    It seems ok but it is the longest part of takedown "packing up"
    I keep the zing it on the tent nails
    I am using dutch titanium nails
    Any ideas on how to use the nails without guy lines attached to them and still be able not to loose them?
    Here is what i use

I was thinking maybe a metal mitten hook on the guy lines that i will leave attached to tarp
    Then just clip them to the line on the nails and use line locks?
    Idk
    Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to leave the guylines attached to the tarp, why not just attach the Fleaz to the nails?

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    If you want to leave the guylines attached to the tarp, why not just attach the Fleaz to the nails?
    This is the way to go if you want your guidelines attached to your tarp. personally I don't like that because it seems like the guidelines always manage to get tangled, so I keep my guidelines attached to my steaks. I use dyneema fishing line which is supposed to be rated at 300 pounds. I also made a little spool to keep it on out of a section of Bic pen with hot glue build up on the edge to keep the string from sliding off, this allows me to carry 25 feet of cordage per steak, which still weighs less and takes up less room than most tarp guidelines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki XL
    I have to keep my guylines attached to my stakes or I will lose them as I have proven twice already. You can always leave the lines on the stakes and run them to the tarp and back down to a line lock I would think. Then, when it's time to get outta dodge, loosen a little, pull the stake, wipe off, roll up in tarp, stuff and go. Personally, I'd be nervous about just rolling up the stakes on each corner, though. I put my stakes in a plastic bag that I insert inside my snake skins when I pack the tarp up so they are all in the same spot in the roll and I don't worry about punctures. I use tarp worms shock corded to my tarp and the guylines are on my stakes. I have the inexpensive Coghlan 3 wing aluminum ones so maybe go to Wally World and pick some up to try as you figure out what works. I have also experimented with different setups on each corner when I am out in the field to see which way worked best for me.

I, too, think takedown takes longer and I believe it's because setup is basically clipping things up and then letting them fall open for staking out. Getting everything packed back up takes more time as you have to stuff it back in whatever sack/skin you are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent via sub etha radio

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Knock on wood....haven't lost a stake yet but I put a 4" loop of really brightly colored reflective line on each one. I'm also a bit OCD about pulling each stake and tossing them in a pile as I hang up the guylines. I have 8 for my SF so I make sure they're all in the bag before I finish packing.

I'm not a "purist" or anything just cheap. No hardware, just knots and smaller/cheaper cord for the guylines. Hanking them into a nice figure-8 does take a while but that's why setting up is relatively fast. I could just roll everything into a big wad and cram it into the stuff sack. Of course, then next time I get into camp I'll spend twice as long trying to get everything straightened out....probably in the middle of a wind/rain storm.

HYOH

Images
    Attaching pegs to guylines can have the unfortunate effect of tarp puncturing missiles in high winds.
    It happens.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Still relatively new to this but I have fleaz attached to tarp. Because my ground I use either MSR ground hogs or MSR needle stakes. So, I keep my lines separately with a bowline on one end for the stake. I figure 8 my lines. This seemed faster and cleaned than wrapping line around my stakes and again, very stakes do to ground conditions

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    My tarp setup has been and is still evolving. Currently, I have some reflective cord tied in prussick knots to my tarp guy-out points, and I simply MSH my stakes. The lines stay attached to the tarp, and when I put it away I do the figure eight wrap, which keeps everything in order until the next time.

I like it this way so far, it gives me easy adjustability without moving my stakes to go in and/or out of porch mode, and it's easy to tighten the lines if it becomes necessary after any stretching occurs (which I haven't had a problem with, but if I do...).

My advise is always to experiment with different methods and see what sticks!

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    I just use dutch stingers all the way around my tarp it works so far. I like my tarp very tight though its windy here in Kansas
    In the shadows

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Afterparty View Post
    I just use dutch stingers all the way around my tarp it works so far. I like my tarp very tight though its windy here in Kansas
    If you don't believe him just ask Dorothy! (And her little dog too!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast