WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Supporting the snow load with under tarp webbing

During most the year I keep my tarp ridge line over the tarp. But in the winter around here (Central Oregon) we have snow and not so much rain. In a snow situation, in order to give the tarp a bit more support, I run the ridge line under the tarp. There is no concern about water running down the cord, but a heavy snow can load up the tarp.

I was thinking about the main concern - beside water path - of wear against the seam sealer and remembered that a lot of the climber webbing is hollow. You usually don't see it that way because they seal it when they cut it. But you could ask them to seal it "open", and get a piece about the length of your tarp ridge line. You could run your ridge line cord through it and it would be flatter - less wear - against the underside to the tarp.

Then I thought - why bother with that at all. I could just buy some narrow flat webbing (think climbing slings) and size it so I can connect it end to end under the tarp in the winter. Now I can rig the tarp as usual - with the cord above - but in the winter I can also attach this length of narrow webbing under the tarp ridge line. It will give more support to the tarp in case of snow load, but being flat, will will not be so abrasive to the seam seal.

That's the idea at least. Any material scientists out there want to chime in - is the abrasion difference between the flat webbing vs round negligible?

Images
    I think there would be much more abrasion with flat webbing than with cord simply because there's a lot more surface area involved. Although climbing webbing is softer than cord...hmmm.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. I know a few older tarps had grosgrain webbing sewn into the ridge line, so there is already a precedent for having a webbing RL.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    You all worry too much.

Though it also depends on which product was used. Some brands might not adhere as well as others.

That said, I used mine all last winter, 24/7 and while we didn't see as much snow, we did have a lot of deep cold and wind.
    I hung it over tensioned ratchet straps, rather than cord. No sign of wear at all to that seam seal.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Well, here is another consideration for snow stuff;

If you pitch tarp tight enough on the RL, and then have it tautly pitched in an A shape, say less than 45 degrees, approx 60 degrees from side to side; you would be able to shed snow pretty easily, similarly how alpine chalets and cabins have an acute angle on their roof designs as opposed to a wider, more obtuse angle that while providing great space and shade in the summertime, may not be effective for snowy conditions. That is mainly why winter tarp designs seem to be very much on the narrow and tall side (wider fabric) with or without doors than simple summer tarps

Images
    I use lash-it which I believe is made from amsteel. That stuff is so slippery I have never had an issue of my underthetarp RL showing any sign of wear on my tarps, sylnylon or cuben.
    I run under the tarp year round and in most setups I offset the RL from the tarp seam.

11195782596_02222642d4_o.jpg11213225595_421cebd734_o.jpg12483841005_74755c6ef7_b.jpg
    Last edited by OutandBack; 11-02-2016 at 08:51.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    Well, here is another consideration for snow stuff;

If you pitch tarp tight enough on the RL, and then have it tautly pitched in an A shape, say less than 45 degrees, approx 60 degrees from side to side; you would be able to shed snow pretty easily, similarly how alpine chalets and cabins have an acute angle on their roof designs as opposed to a wider, more obtuse angle that while providing great space and shade in the summertime, may not be effective for snowy conditions. That is mainly why winter tarp designs seem to be very much on the narrow and tall side (wider fabric) with or without doors than simple summer tarps
    I've done a lot of backyard testing with snow. I've found ~90 degree pitch, with no pullouts, works best for snow to just fall off on its own.
    11778811995_f4fe6dc93a_b.jpg 8128138196_72a08aa6e1_b.jpg

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Aaaaaaaand a stove. Does that work well without doors or walls...? My interest is piqued by the non-traditional hot tent

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonACraft View Post
    Aaaaaaaand a stove. Does that work well without doors or walls...? My interest is piqued by the non-traditional hot tent
    Jason I don't want to derail Designers thread about tarp RLs wear or damage.

The stove was setup just to heat my water for hot chocolate.
    When I can't go winter camping I play in my backyard. If you'd like to see more check these pict out. PM if you have any more questions please.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57639442800244

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Yes sir. Thanks for the link!

• + New Posts